+ Post New Thread
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Sophos Library Issues in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Is anyone else having problems downloading updates from the sophos depo? We switched to sophos2.yhgfl a while back and upgraded ...
    Thank Post

Sophos Library Issues

Is anyone else having problems downloading updates from the sophos depo?

We switched to sophos2.yhgfl a while back and upgraded to the new version but all of a sudden, the library has disappered?

Thank Post
    As far as I can see the library is there, but I can't download any updates from it - I've logged a call

Thank Post
    Ditto!
    It's bizare!

Thank Post
    I checked the error numbers on Sophos' Knowledge Base - the error is caused by a corrupt file in the parent update source

Thank Post
    I've managed to work a fiddle to get the library to download.... so it says!

It's been a long couple of days or working out the kinks with the internet as well!..... lol

Thank Post
    OK, what fiddle?

Thank Post
    Just checked our Sophos after reading this thread and found that three of my schools have not been updating (OOps!) due to them being on Enterprise Console 2.0.0.1447, but the school that does is on 3.1.0.2476 (becuase that server was rebuilt after a hd fail so I guess they installed the latest version at the time) so I presume I need to update it to the latest version Enterprise Console 4. Now can I just install over the top of the existing versions or do I have to uninstall Sophos from the server and the reinstall from scratch? Can't seem to see what I need to do from the info on the YHGfL site. Any help appreciated.

Thank Post
    @ Clareq: Sorry! I didn't get an alert that you have replied. I'm not sure if it has worked but I did some fiddling with the crc checking. Not the best of ideas! I may have some credentials later to pull an update from a working library.

@ TechSupp: To be honest, we are a bit miffed because again, it wasn't until we went to this page that we discovered what was happening. When we went to inspect the library, it claimed to be up-to-date but wasn't. In fairness, we are not entirely sure if a mailshot has been sent out to schools or not as we've had a department re-jig but we did e-mail YHGFL to inform them of this however received no acknowledgement of this message.

There is a guide that will allow you to upgrade to the new version however, you will obviously have to re-configure your source library as I believe the new version was only running on sophos2 as if you entered sophos.yhgfl.net (as current) the library did not recognise it as a valid library for the new version.

I'm just having a potter around but will try and log in to our management box where sophos is hosted and see if I can pull my notes off and the update guide.

9. Thanks to RSoP_Robbers from:

TechSupp (19th June 2010)

Thank Post

11. Thanks to RSoP_Robbers from:

TechSupp (19th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info and any more info would be welcome. Should have known something like this would happen as the last time we did not get notified about a change and only happened on it by luck. That was not a major upgrade and I managed that. Just looking at the info it looks a bit of a nightmare to upgrade! Could well do without this as I just don't really have the time! Suppose as I've got 4 installations to do I'll be quicker by the last one! Do you know if it takes up much more room after the install as thats another of my problems or rather extreme lack of it (1.2Gb free!) and can I get rid of any of the old software afterwards to free up space again?
    I'm in loverly Donny myself.

Thank Post
    Just looked at that document about upgrading, it only mentions EM 1.0x so if I read it correctlky thatas we have 1.3 I can just install over the top. However I have a couple of more questions if anyone has any suhggestions.

How much extra disk space will the new version take as our drive that it is installed on has only 1.2Gb of free space (we only need to protect XP versions and the server 2003 itself)

If we do not have enough disk space on the current drive can I install it to another disk on the same server but still migrate settings etc and allow the same clients to connect to it without any further intervention?

Would I be better just uninstalling Sophos altogether due to space requirements and install brand new on the drive with more space (we do not have complex policies just if virus found delete etc). Would this require me to do anything with the client PC's or will they just be picked up by the new install and updated accordingly?

Sorry if these seem to be silly or simple questions but looked searched the Sophos site for answers and can't seem to see the wood for the trees! Information overload!

Thank Post
    Hi TechSupp,

I'm in Donny as well - NetMan @ De Warenne Academy or Northcliffe (Northy) as we used to be.

The current size of our full Sophos installation including libraries stands @ 305MB

If you are upgrading, I don't think that you can move the installation files to another drive. What you could get away with is completing the installation and then moving the actual storage library to another drive or partition, possibly other server share if you tinker a bit. (I did this as part of a migration).

None of these are silly questions at all! I was in the same boat to be honest as you or to put it another way, the appropriate metaphor involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.

I'm currently looking to see if I can get someone to dump a copy of the latest up-to-date library on our webserver and tempoarily send our sophos traffic to that for updates. If it works, I will post on here!

Thank Post
    Thanks, good in a way to know I'm not alone! 350Mb may be something I can live with at the moemnt, as I need to clear a little bit off the C: drive and when done with the u[pgrade I can apparently remove the old EM and Cids as they are now stored in a separate directory Sum. See, I did not wast my weekend away doing nothing, I spent it search in the Sophos forums! Wonderful!!!

I'm not far down the road, look after 4 primaries in Balby.
    Last edited by TechSupp; 21st June 2010 at 09:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Oh you're quite close then!

Brilliant! That sounds the best way - I'm still trying to pull a store to our webserver but the other end had firewall issues.

Keep me posted and I will post back if I find anything or if I can get a working store up.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Sorry this has taken so long for a reply. We are working on a transition between the old and new versions of Sophos. Can anyone who is having problems report them to your Local Authority as they should be able to advise you on what the correct settings are for what you are currently using.

Our website, sophos.yhgfl.net will be updated with details for any changes.

Regards

Marc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread