+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, SparkleBox? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I just walked past the teacher who hasn't got a problem with the source of the resources, who happened to ...

Thank Post
    I just walked past the teacher who hasn't got a problem with the source of the resources, who happened to be singing the site's praises to a student teacher. I mentioned that it was likely that the site possibly wouldn't be around long, and her reaction was anger that the resources would not be available rather than disgust at the reason!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think said teacher's priorities are in the wrong place. Essentially the use of the site is contributing to the means for this person to commit his alleged crimes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've sent out an edict stating that until such a time that the SWGfL determines that the site is ok, it remains blocked and all their tools (such as the toolbar) are not allowed on any of our computers.

It is just not worth risking! Imagine if the toolbar had screen grabbing abilities built in? So, someone has IE open in the background, and it is snapping away, taking screenshots whilst the teacher works on SIMS.net etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Would it be too much to ask for Ed Balls and his department to make a statement on this?
    Yes. Filtering policy at such a fine level should be a local decision for the LEAs and schools to make. A statement from the DCSF would be inappropriate if there is a police investigation (or at least, it would contain nothing useful or interesting while it is ongoing, so no politician is going to risk opening debate before they have something to say).

Thank Post
    Durham LA have also blocked this site for the reasons I am sure many of you are aware of at RBC level.

For those schools wishing to have more info, please check the Durham Schools Extranet (the last time I looked it was working lol).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are presently reviewing this in Northamptonshire and will advise schools within the next few days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talking to our LA, something should come out from embc soon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Yes. Filtering policy at such a fine level should be a local decision for the LEAs and schools to make. A statement from the DCSF would be inappropriate if there is a police investigation (or at least, it would contain nothing useful or interesting while it is ongoing, so no politician is going to risk opening debate before they have something to say).
    The sheer fact that there is a Police investigation regarding a website used in schools throughout the whole country, suggests to me that it should not be a local decision.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    The sheer fact that there is a Police investigation regarding a website used in schools throughout the whole country, suggests to me that it should not be a local decision.
    I completely agree. The repercussions from this could be huge...

Thank Post
    Just to note a vote of thanks for sharing the information.

Doubtless this is going to upset some teachers but as noted earlier... The ends does not justify the means in this case...

Thank Post
    This is the quote just issued by the LGFL

“It is understood that a person who is on record as an owner and director of Sparklebox Teacher Resources Limited (which appears to claim ownership of the SparkleBox web site and children’s learning materials) is a registered sex offender who has recently admitted a second offence, is currently on remand in prison and is awaiting sentence in January.

LGfL Trust has been unable to disclose information before now because to do so may have prejudiced police work and risked possible legal action, however this statement is issued subsequent to appropriate legal advice.

In the current circumstances the LGfL will continue to block sparklebox.co.uk, by default, unless and until satisfied that suitable safeguarding arrangements have been made.

LGfL connected schools have the ability, (at LA or school level), through LGfL URL filtering administration settings, either to accord with or to override the default LGfL policy in respect to a particular site. It is recommended that schools should only override any filter after due consideration of a website-specific school risk analysis and risk management plan.”

Thank Post
    This is the quote just issued by the LGFL
    Do you have a reference to the source for this quote please?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Hi,

New here so need to post to say hi before I can post links

Thank Post
    Here is a link to the statement:
    HGfL - Main - News Centre

Click on the link at the bottom that says view item

A newspaper report:
    Shamed teacher posts bizarre note on website - Leamington Spa Today - Back to Home Page

A pic of him as Sparklebox:
    Meine Fotos: Fotogalerie - Foto 1 von 1 von THRE3-D - MySpace Fotos

15. Thanks to Pickle from:

CSNM-Carl (6th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some teaching staff have unfiltered access to the web here, but no access to install programs or run anything not specifically allowed in group policy.

Since I made the letter from the SWGfL public, use has dropped to almost zero. However, I did come across one teacher using it today, who at least made me smile, but he did have a point.

'Using sparklebox is like listening to a Micheal Jackson record - Great music, but thinking about the man behind it makes you feel guilty'

There is a lot a reliance on the materials from sparklebox here, and obviously that will drop. The problem is that the materials are actually quite good, we have never installed the toolbar.

Hopefully it will be put out of commision soon, but in the meantime i'm getting all of the resources from it (as part of a team of staff each doing a bit) and we will host them internally. I won't be checking for updates.

As with Micheal Jackson - the music's not to blame, the man is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast