+ Post New Thread
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Problems with neowin.net in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Is anyone else having trouble accessing www.neowin.net? I can get the main page but when i goto anywhere else bu ...

Thank Post

Problems with neowin.net

Is anyone else having trouble accessing www.neowin.net?

I can get the main page but when i goto anywhere else bu that such as a forum post or a news article i get the usual YHGFL time out message. I have reported it but they say there seems to be a return route issue and that i would need to get neowin to look into this? I dont have this problem at home or any other connection, just on the yhgfl network.

Any one got any ideas?

Cheers

Mike

2. Thanks to mcloum from:

mwalpole (19th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloum View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble accessing Neowin.net - Where unprofessional journalism looks better
    I can get the main page but when i goto anywhere else bu that such as a forum post or a news article i get the usual YHGFL time out message. I have reported it but they say there seems to be a return route issue and that i would need to get neowin to look into this? I dont have this problem at home or any other connection, just on the yhgfl network.
    No issues here, can bob around on any of the tabs and open forum threads.

Thank Post
    I have quite a few time outs on edugeek and some other site this morning

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Neowin.net is fine here at least. We are not yhgfl though.
    EduGeek should be healthier too

Thank Post
    I have had a look at neowin.net and it has not been blocked on our filtering system for anyone. I have however added it to a list that should enable faster browsing around the website, although this will not take effect until tomorrow morning.

Thank Post
    thanks mwalpole, i will try again tomorrow.

This is one of the symptons i get, if i refreshed that then the page will show but very slowly.

Then i get this...more often than not

Last edited by mcloum; 19th May 2009 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    I have looked into that unusual page display and the source code on the website, and it appears that the background images of the website may be taken from websites that are being caught on our YHGfL filters.

It appears they are using a couple of google pages for some of the images, which can be problematic for us to unblock, as to do so would remove all the restrictions on google filtering as well, as we would have to put the website on a list that bypasses all of our safe search filtering.

Thank Post
    Tried again this morning and still the same. I have tried it in IE and that fails to even show the front page until i try the second time. This google images thing is this something new? Reason being is, neowin used to work a few months back, it only seems to be since JANET had that big outtage a few months back.

Also i dont think this is the issue either as if i refresh the error page i do get the page displayed but very slowly..

Cheers

p;s other forum websites such as Welcome to ieXbeta - The beta underground

Thank Post
    I have changed a few other things on our filtering system, as it does seem excessively slow and some of my colleagues here were also experiencing intermittent issues with the page loading incorrectly or not at all.

Due to how our system is configured, all our changes are copied over to all our servers at 4am tomorrow morning, so you won't notice any differences until Thursday morning.

Thank Post
    Any other websites you have similar issues with and want unblocking should really be logged through your Local Authority help desk first.

They should then pass the details onto us, so that we can investigate, and so everyone knows what websites are having issues, as it may be that other schools would also like to use the website that is having problems.

But if you do have any questions regarding website filtering, please do ask me!

Marc

Thank Post
    I have logged it with the helpdesk and YHGFLs reply was to take it up with the website in question as it seems to be a routing issue between us and them....but my argument is we route through yhgfl to neowin, so yhgfl should resolve this as me doing the talking with them would be pointless.

Thank Post
    I have dealt with YHGfL before about issues similar to this, who did you speak to when they told you to contact the website hosting company. Did you get a name???

Thank Post
    No i didnt speak to them direct. it came through the helpdesk. still no better today by the way

Thank Post
    Have you spoke to the website company, I don't think you can just rely on YHGfL as it's not really there fault if the website is having routing issues. It's down to that one entity, this may be the case with other ISP's as well. Like I say I have seen these problems before and I have spoke to the companies directly to try and ascertain what the problems where. It's always best to go from all directions. Generally they will only deal with the user who is having the problem. It's just worth bearing that in mind.

Thank Post
    I have spoken to our engineer who has been looking into this for you and your help desk has told us that you were going to telephone directly to discuss this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread