+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Training in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); For my own information, how many of you have been notified by your LA of the Bulk Purchase training agreement ...
    Thank Post

Training

For my own information, how many of you have been notified by your LA of the Bulk Purchase training agreement that we now have in place for use by LA and school staff?

We have brokered a deal that gives public scheduled training courses at massive discounts for those in the consortium. For example, we have recently put on an ITIL v3 foundation course in Rotherham which I believe was attended by all secondary school network managers as well as some from Doncaster. We saved Rotherham Council over 2K over the previouos quote they had had and around 10K against list pricing. Similarly, a MS Exchange 2007 course which has a 1495 list price, we are able to offer at 800.

We have published this to all our LA partners, but I was just wondering if this had been cascaded down to school level yet.

I would be interested if any of you have had sight of this.

Also, in case you were reading this and then thinking you wouldn't reply and never use this forum again now that you know the people who this forum is about read it too, just to make it clear, I have not joined this forum to snoop on anyones comments. I could have snooped without being a member and no one would have known. I have joined this forum so YHGfL can have right of reply. Sometimes the RBC is easiest to blame but there are many wires to cross before it gets to our grid and also wires beyond our grid to get on the internet. We will accept blame where blame is due and hold our hands up but it is not always the case. I also find that often schools don't know how much we do and don't provide in the way of services. Yes, we provide filtered internet services, but we also provide a whole lot more. I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about us other than the fact that our block pages sometimes appear while you're trying to browse the web.

Sometimes a little communication is all it takes.

Thanks,

Andrew Yoward
    Head of Support Services
    YHGfL Foundation
    Last edited by ayoward; 3rd April 2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: To add some reasons for posting

2. 4 Thanks to ayoward:

Hokalus (6th April 2009), leco (3rd April 2009), Marci (6th April 2009), teejay (3rd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for this Andrew. To answer your first question about training, no I didn't know about it. In fact I know very little about YHGfL, as you say apart from the block messages, that incidentally appear every now and then on Edugeek.

After the Easter hols I will have a look at school for any info that may have been sent and put into the folder in the staff room. (I don't get the time to be in there very often.)

4. Thanks to leco from:

ayoward (6th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Andrew, good to have you on board!
    No we haven't heard anything about this yet. In fact, we get absolutely no information passed down to us from YHGFL, so we are very much in the dark as to what YHGFL does and what you offer.

6. Thanks to teejay from:

ayoward (6th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Welcome...!

how many of you have been notified by your LA of the Bulk Purchase training agreement that we now have in place for use by LA and school staff?
    That's the first I've heard of it... as above, we get practically no information passed down to us from LA.

never use this forum again now that you know the people who this forum is about read it too
    Meh - the main advantage of forums is a clear and transparent communication medium between any and all involved. If anything your presence here BENEFITS those who use this section, and should also benefit yourselves due to the increased accessibility to user response and feedback on your services. Anyone who uses a forum as a platform upon which to moan behind ppl's backs is missing the point... as that does little to resolve the situation.

8. Thanks to Marci from:

ayoward (6th April 2009)

Thank Post
    If it helps for us to post on here, and answer questions you have about YHGfL, we will be more than happy to try to help out where we can with information about products or services that we can offer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Welcome...!

That's the first I've heard of it... as above, we get practically no information passed down to us from LA.
    That is what we are finding quite a lot in the majority of LAs that are members of our consortium. We publish our activities and reports each month to the LAs, but the schools get little or no sight of that. We're trying to make sure that communication from one end to the other as there is massive scope for improvement across the piste. I'm hoping that this forum amongst other initiatives we are undertaking will bring YHGfL out of obscurity. Our website is getting better at publicising what we do (YHGfL - YHGfL), and I'm hoping that I will be able to get our news ticker published on the outside of our Service Centre software http://www.service-now.com/yhgfl.

Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post

Meh - the main advantage of forums is a clear and transparent communication medium between any and all involved. If anything your presence here BENEFITS those who use this section, and should also benefit yourselves due to the increased accessibility to user response and feedback on your services. Anyone who uses a forum as a platform upon which to moan behind ppl's backs is missing the point... as that does little to resolve the situation.
    I appreciate your sentiment here. It is exactly what we are trying to achieve at Y&H.

Regards,

Andrew

Thank Post
    That is what we are finding quite a lot in the majority of LAs that are members of our consortium. We publish our activities and reports each month to the LAs, but the schools get little or no sight of that.
    Simplest solution... RSS Feed of such activites / reports, accessible and subscribable from front page of YHGfL site... accompanied by a quick post in here to say it's there. Word should spread soon enough amongst the school techs...

I know majority of schools in our area (Wakefield / 5 Towns) all have representatives on here... they might not post, but the majority still lurk n' read....

Thank Post
    We are looking at RSS feeds from our website at the moment. Hopefully they will be up and running sooner rather than later.

Thank Post
    Welcome ayoward.

As Marci said, your input will be most welcome and appreciated.

I've not heard of the training opportunities either, and as you suspect little filters through the LA.

14. Thanks to steve from:

ayoward (7th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Hear nothing at all about YHGFL apart from it referenced in letters about why the LEA internet is wonderful as its part of YHGFL basically. So anything exciting you can tell us that will benefit us and give justification to huge sums of capital that it costs us each year for the LEA internet.

16. Thanks to john from:

ayoward (14th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Snap nothing interesting tho

18. Thanks to mrtechsystems from:

ayoward (14th April 2009)

Thank Post
    We publish a report monthly that details what we have been up to. At the moment, I think it just goes to our LA partners. I know that we are trying to get more of this type of stuff published on the website and I know that we are trying to get invited to more meetings where you folk meet with your LA to discuss how things are going so that we can directly inform you of the things that we are up to.

We also have a bi monthly meetings for what we call the Network Group and eLearning Group, where we talk about policy and procedures and how the Grid should go forward etc. Your LA will have representatives that attend these meetings and it is up to them to cascade any info relevant down to the schools.

I will let you know when we have something on our website that gives detail about all of our services. We are working on it at the moment. I'm hoping it will bring some much needed clarity.

Regards,

Andrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoward View Post
    .... I know that we are trying to get invited to more meetings where you folk meet with your LA to discuss how things are going so that we can directly inform you of the things that we are up to.
    Our LA has very few meetings for techies. Maybe one every 2-3 years

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoward View Post
    we are trying to get invited to more meetings where you folk meet with your LA to discuss how things are going so that we can directly inform you of the things that we are up to.
    Our LEA has four meetings a year called the ICT Primary Network - but it is mostly for ICT Co-Ordinators rather than techies.

Thank Post

At last if not a bit late

At last it is dawning on the YHGfL that they need to have 'DIRECT' communication with the end users, not empire building LEA staff.

Have you ever thought of actually visiting schools yourself?
    meetings with LEA staff and schools are of limited value as school staff will not speak freely in frront of the LEA staff, especially those who according to you are supposed to keep us informed (and by all the edugeek posts clearly are not).

For example why on earth is 'tyres' on the bad word list???

try typing tyres into google search!

i asked, reply was because of the Pirelli calendar PMSL so why not block PIrelli then? the calendar itself is no worse than page 3 of the sun that all our kids can see in the local shop as they call in for their fags!

Take this message from another thread

You should be able to get on it now. JANET had power issues at Leeds Uni which interupted acces to Y&H systems and also meant we couldn't access the web from within the grid. They need to sort out the BGP which should have re routed all our traffic to Leeds Met as our failover link. Your LA will be getting a major incident report about it.

I got an email warning me of this from my LEA saying saturday 7 to 9 am should not affect YHGfL services anyway.

However it was on friday (mistake anyway) and it did!

who are 'they' who need to sort the BGP if not the YHGfL then why is the grid so dependant on others!

Rumours have reached me that some schools in my LEA have been considering asking to join with a neighbouring LEA's system to get away from YHGfL anyone heard anything about this?

I dont mean this to be a moaning session (i know how it reads) but simply trying to provide some info on why the YHGfL are often perceived as a 2 blokes in a back bedroom outfit!

23. Thanks to rogerblue from:

ayoward (1st May 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast