Poll: Are you staying with LLN?

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Leeds Learning Network in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); The Council 4 year deal is due to the fact that when procuring technology deals, it is often the case ...

Thank Post
    The Council 4 year deal is due to the fact that when procuring technology deals, it is often the case that short vterm deals are expensive from what I can gather. Also, given the fact it is a 4 year deal there is a guarantee that the Council will still be there and you can turn them. Shorter term contracts also mean, procurement year on year and sometimes does not offer value for money. Also the Public Services Network contract is a 4 year deal which is backed by the Cabinet Office and also fully supported by Children's Serivces.

Thank Post
    It's the Lack of choice for schools From ICT4Leeds / Leeds Learning Network.

Even offering a 2 year deal at a more expensive price may have tempted more schools into moving to ICT4Leeds.

But schools can sign up for a 1 year contract with another provider, if they don't like it the can move on the following year. But if they don't like ICT4Leeds, they're tied in for 4 years.

Sorry, just my opinion. Hope schools make the right choice

Thank Post
    4 years or not, the ICT4 Leeds offering is still nearly double that of commercial providers for the same speed circuit for secondary schools. The larger providers (us, RM, Exa I'm sure will still be here in 3 years time. Take a look at their / our trading past.

The biggest thing I still here from schools is the poor service they've had for the past number of years. They are leaving just as much because of this as they don't believe ICT4Leeds / LLN can provide them with a good service due to their track record. That's not me saying that just to put down ICT4Leeds, that's the schools themselves. Just see earlier in the thread of search on the board.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    4 years or not, the ICT4 Leeds offering is still nearly double that of commercial providers for the same speed circuit for secondary schools. The larger providers (us, RM, Exa I'm sure will still be here in 3 years time. Take a look at their / our trading past.

The biggest thing I still here from schools is the poor service they've had for the past number of years. They are leaving just as much because of this as they don't believe ICT4Leeds / LLN can provide them with a good service due to their track record. That's not me saying that just to put down ICT4Leeds, that's the schools themselves. Just see earlier in the thread of search on the board.....
    well it seems to be going by area/clusters to me atm 2 areas to schools broadband (3 of my schools minimum) 1 to lln so far so looks like ive got some office 365/sharepoint learning to do this summer holiday

Thank Post
    Looking at the track record and the individuals running some of the companies offering services, I know we would not touch them with a barge pole!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moderator View Post
    Looking at the track record and the individuals running some of the companies offering services, I know we would not touch them with a barge pole!
    llns recent track record isnt exactly good multiple outages 7 days to do simple port opening

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    llns recent track record isnt exactly good multiple outages 7 days to do simple port opening
    All companies have issues in one way or other and I cannot see any company who can claim they have no downtime or issues influenced by external factors such as suppliers . The proof will be in the pudding over the next 12 - 18 months in terms of how well schools services are delivered.

On the main, commercial providers put profits before the interest of schools and the kids and I reallly don't see how 'cheap no frills' services are the way forward here. At the end of the day profits and maximising these is the aim of the game here!

Let's not forget, the local authority provision is non for profit and fully accountable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've seen no accountability from LLN so far, they've managed to secure payment from capita for service not delivered but have not passed this on to schools who were subscribers at the time... How is that accountability?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    I've seen no accountability from LLN so far, they've managed to secure payment from capita for service not delivered but have not passed this on to schools who were subscribers at the time... How is that accountability?
    My Head informs me that the compensation LLN received was due to the fact Capita failed to deliver the Openhive learning platform project. This money was refunded to all schools who subscribed to the Learning platform. There was also some money given to ICT for the resource they put into managing Capita, which should have been a managed service. This money was to cover resource cost and at no point compensation for poor performance. Also, we have checked our schools contract and there are no compensation clauses in there.

Having made a few comparisons between providers we have looked at going forward, again nobody seems to be offering any compensation for failure to deliver if the issues is down to a supplier as has been in the case with Capita.

Thank Post
    All companies have issues in one way or other and I cannot see any company who can claim they have no downtime or issues influenced by external factors such as suppliers . The proof will be in the pudding over the next 12 - 18 months in terms of how well schools services are delivered.

On the main, commercial providers put profits before the interest of schools and the kids and I reallly don't see how 'cheap no frills' services are the way forward here. At the end of the day profits and maximising these is the aim of the game here!

Let's not forget, the local authority provision is non for profit and fully accountable.
    but people have been fed up with lln for years they dont listen and i cant see how the cost is justified being thousands more in every case ive seen. there is also the £7 per pupil charge i dont get they dont deal with email users as far as i can see are filtered internally via smoothwall so whats the per user charge for?

the insistence up to this point on web based logon which when you have 6 year olds wastes half a lesson nor is it great for tablets.
    if a company can provide a service cheaper that does what a school needs why not use it ict4leeds /lln may be not for profit but as a result who do they answer to if a company provides poor service they go bust or have to buck their ideas up. wheres the incentive for lln they have proven time and time again they do what they want witness sharepoint foisted on primarys when in the opinion of nearly every school ive talked to its not fit for purpose when when schools told them as much
    blaming capita for past troubles holds no water with me either they chose capita and signed a contract.
    again if broadband a is poor its a 1 year contract so worst case its all paid upfront or only 1 year to buy out if its unfit if ict4leeds is unfit (by a schools judgement not theirs) they are on the hook for 4 years and based on past performance i couldnt recommend anyone being tied into that
    Last edited by sted; 22nd June 2013 at 11:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Can someone come round and pick me up up off the floor! "Fully Accountable", are you using the same LLN as the rest of us?

To who? When we were a local authority school LLN threatened us with legal action, - despite being the same legal entity!
    LLN hasn't been raised in council or committee in over a year, according to LCC committee minutes, despite all the changes that are being undertaken

Profit isn't always a bad thing. LLN hasn't had to make a profit so how did the VLE work out or OpenHive or Active Directory integration? We can keep going but eventually start to drag up old issues. With profit you turn around and refuse to pay until it's fixed or walk away.

Thank Post
    All schools need to be aware of a recent safeguarding issue at a Leeds school due to the filtering being poor and allowing children to be able to communicate with adults and being sent obscene materials. This has been on the BBC website:

BBC News - Primary school pupils sent 'obscene' messages on Movie Star Planet

Schools need to be reviewing their web filtering controls and the providers as this is very concerning.

Thank Post
    Isn't it amazing that the site admins have deleted a child safeguarding post several times I have posted. The whole purpose if this kind of forum is for sharing ideas.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234