Poll: Are you staying with LLN?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Leeds Learning Network in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I've DM'd you sted....
    Thank Post
    I've DM'd you sted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    As I understand it, the only infrastructure continuing to be utilised after 31st March will be the LLNs Ja.net connection through Civic Hall. The biggest question about that is how big is the pipe? Virgin hope to be awarded the contract to provide Internet access to the LLN PSN network after current contract on the civic connection expires.
    Evening folks,

LLN only has 1 x 700mbit Internet connection which looks after all schools, libraries and council offices in Leeds. How do i know this? Well I was at the meeting at South Leeds stadium when Virgin, LLN, Smoothwall and Microsoft were there.

It was interesting as Virgin and LLN were banging on about how they have a 1:1 Internet connection for all schools in Leeds. Funny really. I think there's about 260 schools in Leeds all with at least 10mbit Internet connections which equates to. Total traffic of 2600mbit if it was 1:1 and that's not even counting the majority of secondary schools that actually have 100mbit links.

So I think you can work out easily that he contention is not 1:1!

It's also interesting as in the current Capita contract you all signed it says and I quote "your school has a 1:1 contention ratio all the way to the Internet" which of course you don't. I'm not making this up here just to be trying to cause trouble and get you to go elsewhere, it's in your contract black and white and you're not getting it.

Don't get me wrong I'd love you all to ditch LLN and come with us but I'd recommend you go with anyone other than LLN due to the history you've had with them. I think the votes and answers speaks volumes.

Thank Post
    As I understand it, the only infrastructure continuing to be utilised after 31st March will be the LLNs Ja.net connection through Civic Hall. The biggest question about that is how big is the pipe? Virgin hope to be awarded the contract to provide Internet access to the LLN PSN network after current contract on the civic connection expires.
    They have a 700mbit Internet connection for all schools, libraries and council offices in Leeds

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    They have a 700mbit Internet connection for all schools, libraries and council offices in Leeds
    i thought it was 2 700mbs one at emlet (i think) one at seacroft library.

the actual contention dosent bother me in and of itself the poor service and unreliability do and getting a class of 30 5 year olds to put a username and password for the internet is a right pita

Thank Post
    I too was told 700mbit at the south leeds stadium meeting, but actually that was by a virgin rep rather than Leeds learning. I've also heard other figures, which I guess is why I asked the question.

The network is contended at various points, but the fact that the LLN will not openly publish figures doesn't fill schools with confidence.

Thank Post
    I too was told 700mbit at the south leeds stadium meeting, but actually that was by a virgin rep rather than Leeds learning. I've also heard other figures, which I guess is why I asked the question.

The network is contended at various points, but the fact that the LLN will not openly publish figures doesn't fill schools with confidence.
    i honestly think THEY dont know i think anyone who new anything left a long time ago and documentation is incomplete or made sense to them but not the current crew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is only 1x 700MB, but that isn't even the first point of contention for my school, that happens at the second hub site, if not the first.

Thank Post
    After several years of a lower than average service and lousy connectivity, were finally giving LLN the boot.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

can anyone give me an idea of how easy it is to manage the accounts of a 400+ school using Open Directory and Microsoft365? We're looking at the LLN vs. SchoolsBroadband issue and one of the concerns is -if we go with SchoolsBroadband- how much of the LLN user account/email acounts admininstrative work will be passed on to our ICT manager.

cheers, Ben.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It depends on what you want to do.

LLN will sign you up to office 365 then import a list of users. After that, everything is down to the school to manage.

Are you a primary or secondary? I believe schools broadband offer office 365 support in their gold package but you'd best contact them.

11. Thanks to Marshall_IT from:

bms713 (16th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Importing the user list is quite easy. There are tools that you can use to move email over as well. We can do this on our daily rate or we can point you in the direction and you can do it. Alternatively local IT companies such as Schools ICT or Connect Up can do it for you too.

Do give me a call or a PM and I'll put you in touch with our office 365 expert here.

Thanks for thinking of us

Dave

Thank Post
    So glad im not working in secondary in Leeds anymore.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    Importing the user list is quite easy. There are tools that you can use to move email over as well. We can do this on our daily rate or we can point you in the direction and you can do it. Alternatively local IT companies such as Schools ICT or Connect Up can do it for you too.

Do give me a call or a PM and I'll put you in touch with our office 365 expert here.

Thanks for thinking of us

Dave
    Dave are you suggesting schools broadband can migrate LLN emails to an office 365 install?

I'm fairly sure (but would be very pleased to be corrected) that Capita hold all the cards here, and each user would need to copy their email manually. There isn't a mass migration tool we can use unless capita give schools/LLN increased exchange access.

Thank Post
    Dave are you suggesting schools broadband can migrate LLN emails to an office 365 install?

I'm fairly sure (but would be very pleased to be corrected) that Capita hold all the cards here, and each user would need to copy their email manually. There isn't a mass migration tool we can use unless capita give schools/LLN increased exchange access.
    thats what one of our techs has been told he asked about migration basically and im paraphrasing lln said unless you stay with us f off you cant do it and we wont so yes only way looks to be one by one lln exchange into outlook upload via outlook to office 365 repeat for all accounts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know, even if you stay with LLN or ICT4Leeds ^_^, they won't migrate your emails, only setup your user accounts with the initial LLN username and password.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast