+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Gloria is at it again in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by localzuk Yes, as I would only be expecting 50Mbit. If I was given a 100Mbit bearer and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, as I would only be expecting 50Mbit. If I was given a 100Mbit bearer and told you'll get 100Mbit, and then it turns out 50Mbit of that could be used by others and therefore we'd only get 50Mbit in reality? I'd be annoyed at that.
    So if you were told that you were getting a 100 meg bearer and that at least 50 meg would be for you, but you are likely to get more as the other users aren't likely to be maxing out their lines ... so if you get 80 meg one day but only 50 meg the next this is the reason why? I get the feeling that Gloria is trying to get across that, in spite of saying to some schools that the line is shared, the expectations are different to reality ... and that at least they are being open about this rather than using marketing speak to hide things or to push blame around ("You have a rubbish connection to $VLE_provider because your LA throttles you" even though VLE provider has already said that they only have a 100 meg feed to allow *all* their schools to connect ... as an example I have heard in recent months).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    So if you were told that you were getting a 100 meg bearer and that at least 50 meg would be for you, but you are likely to get more as the other users aren't likely to be maxing out their lines ... so if you get 80 meg one day but only 50 meg the next this is the reason why? I get the feeling that Gloria is trying to get across that, in spite of saying to some schools that the line is shared, the expectations are different to reality ... and that at least they are being open about this rather than using marketing speak to hide things or to push blame around ("You have a rubbish connection to $VLE_provider because your LA throttles you" even though VLE provider has already said that they only have a 100 meg feed to allow *all* their schools to connect ... as an example I have heard in recent months).
    That's not the situation that most schools face though. Most end up being given, say, a 100Mbit line and then they find out they only get 60Mbits because the contention exists.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's not the situation that most schools face though. Most end up being given, say, a 100Mbit line and then they find out they only get 60Mbits because the contention exists.
    I would say that a fair few schools don't listen when they are being told what they will get, or the people the information don't actually pass it on to those who will understand. In recent experience any issues with speed have been down to the limits of the line (2 meg is 2 meg ... I wish there were funds to upgrade all schools to good fibre lines, but the running costs of that can be over the top as well), technical line faults (MPF lines degrade ... and there is some poor quality copper out there with too many joints to mention), technical services faults (central proxies do have issues ... and that can be a problem ... and the sooner folk report the issue the sooner it gets fixed. Having had phone calls from schools moaning about issues only to find that they haven't logged service calls does not make me sympathetic), technical hardware faults or mis-configurations (Exchanges have issues too ... I got as annoyed as everyone else when I found that some newer Cisco routers where not auto-negotiating properly and dropping to 10 half), attacks on the network (intentional or accidental due to config errors or local issues within the school (triple NATing before you even get to the router can make your life interesting ... as can putting a 10/100 switch between your router and your core switch and forgetting you have left it set to run at 10 half).

I have only seen 3 occasions when the core feeds on the local (ie not YHGfL) RBC (under the last contract) have been saturated and they relate to major sporting events when silly amounts of folk turned on iPlayer (including folk on council offices).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12