I still have a problem with offline files and laptops.
The laptops have offline files enabled for their my documents folder, however they will randomly drop all of the offline files whilst at home. I have read that if they connect to a different network (home router) that this will trigger this behavior. This does not appear to be the case, as it last affected a user whose home connection I have banned them from using (every week they would come in complaining that they could not access the school network, because their other half had added their home wireless connection, now how he managed to male chicken the school connection up I will never know).
Any ideas, getting a bit desperate here as it should be a simple problem, thats turning into a ongoing head ache.
Also found out why I could not specify a cache size of more than 2 gigs, its because MS used a single 32bit interger to hold the cache size info.
In Microsoft Windows Explorer, in the Folder Options dialog box, you set the value for Amount of disk space to use for temporary offline files option so that the value is larger than 2 gigabytes (GB). After you make this change, you open the Folder Options dialog box again. You notice that the value for the setting has reverted to the previous value.
This behavior occurs because the client-side cache for temporarily-cached files is limited to 2 GB. This limitation exists because the signed 32-bit integer internally stores the cache size value.
Doh forget it, I reread the earlier post I made, and the fix.
Actually apon more reading, I am still unsure if the fix is the right one.
BTW anyone else want to join in feel free, as I am starting to think that talking to your self online is about as bad as talking to yourself out loud.
Next I will be looking for hairs on the palms of my hands.
I'm gonna post a reply, not because i can be of any use, but simply because i'm worried that you'll look daft having a lengthy conversation with yourself. But hey, at least you're getting nothing but sense so far :)
Don't have the problem you describe.
But certainly have issues with some individuals where sync fails and without excepetion this seems to be down to the amount of data or the number of individual files. Haven't discovered the trigger point for each yet.
Despite explaining to staff that only files they create themselves should be put in MY DOCS. They will drop video files, whole CD of resource etc into this area and then moan about how long sync is taking.
One other thing is non sync of MDB files have tried several 'fixes' for this and non have worked so far.
We had a similar kind or issue once where a teacher would have all documents vannish from the synced folders when they reconnected to the main network. The files were still there if logged in offline. I got it to stop happening by specifying the behaviors when plugged into the network and when disconnected in group policy. This seemed to solve it as the issue has not reoccoured for over a year.
Just for comparison purposes we have some staff with around 40GB of data synced up that haven't had any issues. I think that some of the limitations may be imposed by the clients. These users with large synced folders are using high spec laptops with GB lan and 7200 rpm sata drives.
Thanks, I have gone into ad and done a little tweaking to the server disconnects settings. But unfortunately I now have to wait and see if it happens again.