DCPROMO and DNS
I am just in the process of creating a new domain. I have installed a fresh copy of Server 2003 on a newserver.
I have gone to DCPROMO and selected
- Domain Controller for a New Domain
- Child Domain in an Existing Domain tree
- Inputted the login details - The Domain that i chose is the top dog domain within our existing forest
- I then selected the domain from the browse option and inputted a new domain name
Then i get the error message below
DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain DOMAIN NAME.NET:
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DOMAIN NAME.NET
The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
(no domain controllers found)
Common causes of this error include:
- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.
For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
Any advice/support would be great.
can you ping and resolve all the DCs by their FQDN?
Are the domain controllers Kerberos records in DNS correct?
Yes i have one kerberos SRV record
Has your 'top dog' domain DNS server got your new domain zone configured?
Ok - your running DNS on the new domain, on the new domain controller, correct?
On your existing DNS server open the DNS MMC and have a look if the new zone for your new domain has appeared.
I have not got DNS running on my new domain yet just tryinmg to install AD
Just wondering how will the new domain update the existing DNS?
Ah ok - what's the NIC's config?
I generally point the DNS to itself. (127.0.0.1)
DCPROMO will then configure DNS on the server.
I think this works the same way when creating a new domain within an existing forest.
Answer to your question - it won't - I don't think the wizard configures that anyway. You'll need to setup the new zone. This will be a replication from your Primary Zone on the new domain controller. I think. :)
I have changed the dns settings but still coming up with that error message :-(
You did the tell the wizard to install and configure DNS didn't you?
I have not installed DNS on the new server yet
Do i need to at this point before AD