+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Home Internet - Upload in Technical; I'm with PlusNet ADSL at home, no issues with the service its great. The problem I have is my upload ...

Thank Post

Home Internet - Upload

I'm with PlusNet ADSL at home, no issues with the service its great. The problem I have is my upload is pants. I can be sending an email with say a 5Mb attachment or uploading a 20Mb video to YouTube and I cannot browse the net until this is uploaded.

Does this look right and can I get a better upload anywhere else? It drives me potty, I spend a lot of time uploading to sites like YouTube & FlickR and sending large emails off and its just time I don't have, any ideas/recommendations?

Thank Post
    What upload speed are you getting...I am on 30Mb download and get about 2Mb upload...

I think this ratio is pretty much the same for most providers...at school we get the same speed up and down, well nearly, as we usually get about 6Mb down (out of 8) and about 8 up which is why I is why it costs so much compared to my home service...or so I am led to believe by our LEA...

[edit] ...I don't notice much of a slowdown if I browse while uploading though...

Thank Post

I am setting less than 1/2 a meg up, its so frustrating.

Thank Post
    Be careful comparing ADSL and Cable.

Cable traditionally has a faster upstream than ADSL will have.

Going back in time when I had ADSL it was 'normal' to have either 448k upstream or 832k if on a business line. You're a bit shy on the 448k but not miles away from it so it might just be the limit of the technology.

Your options are to talk to Plusnet and see if they offer any packages with higher upstream or consider an alternative technology.

I've not used ADSL in 5 years so it's very possible my figures above don't stand anymore with recent ADSL2+ and other technology changes.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately ADSL is all that is available at present. I am around a mile from the exchange so its not as if its great distances either. I have had a chat with them but they say they do not have any other packages available.

Thank Post
    ADSL2+ would give you 'technically'* twice the current upload you have but that would depend on line quality etc. (technically because line distance, phase of the moon etc all have an impact)

Is your exchange ADSL2+ enabled? Check at SamKnows - Accurate broadband performance information for consumers, governments and ISPs

(Unless you're already on ADSL2+ already of course, though with that downstream and your locality to the exchange unless your line is poor I'd expect higher downstream from an ADSL2+ package)

Thank Post
    We do not have ADSL2+ yet, we are a Lincolnshire village, always last for things!

Thank Post
    You could go for Annex M, but that would sacrifice your download to a degree..

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    It drives me potty, I spend a lot of time uploading to sites like YouTube & FlickR and sending large emails off and its just time I don't have, any ideas/recommendations?
    If you mean time as in doing nothing while it uploads could use some limiting software just to limit upload. Would take longer for upload overall, "but" would allow you to do other stuff while it uploads?

Only a thought

Steve

Thank Post
    Cheers Steve, have tried them but takes me alot longer uploading then, would rather just have no useable internet than let it take any longer!!

Annex M - care to explain a little more on that one?

Thank Post
    AnnexM basicaly reduces the available download bits and increases the upload bits.. so if your say getting 10/.5 you would probably see something more like 8/1

Unless your in a cable area it's your only cheepish option ( if your ruling out Fibre/EFM/Bonded ) . If your extreemly lucky you may find somone bothering to put fiber to the cabinet in your area and put in a localised DSLAM to increase your speeds but that's ultra rare and normaly only done to address download speed.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread