+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Boot camp issues with group policy in Technical; I didn't know where to put this so i placed it here. I have tried to deploy some software to ...

Thank Post

Boot camp issues with group policy

I didn't know where to put this so i placed it here.

I have tried to deploy some software to the pcs in the school via gp but it failed to deploy.

I checked the group policy results wizrd in the group policy management console and i get a error stating that the clocks on the client and the server are skewed. But they are set to the same.

I have run into this problem before but cannot recall what i did to resolve the issue.

I think it has something to do with how Windows syncs with the OS X clock.

Does anyone have any ideas. I have updated Boot camp drivers to the latest 1.3.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Boot camp issues with group policy

Hi sorry to drag up old topics if you are using parrells it wont apply the group policies for some reason before you logon, there is a group policy you can try that make the computer connect to the network before the lgoon screen apears. It should work fine if you boot into
    Windows.

Thank Post

No its just bootcamp on its own with no parallels.

The problem still exists but i have yet to try updating to bootcamp 1.4.

The problem is very strange as the clocks on both operating systems sync with the same sever.

The user policies deploy without problems. It is just the computer policies that fail. I think it may have something to do with the windows drivers that apple uses but i cannot find out where the problem lies. I think i read somewhere about there being a difference between the actual time reported on the server and client and the localised time. eg in london 13.30 but actual time is 12.00 plus 5 hours or something like that.

I may have got it wrong.

If there is anyone who is in a position to test and confirm or not confirm if it is just my problem that would be great.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well i have been working at a place were we have about 120 Macs on boot camp we haven’t had any problems the only one i can suggest is that group policy.

Computer Configuration > Administrative templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon.

Then go round and run "gpupdate" on every machine im 98% sure that will resolve it.

Thank Post

I'm not quite sure i follow the last bit. Running gpupdate on every machine seems to suggest the setting to be applied to each machine individually. Is this what you mean? I have mine connected to the network and pulling the group policy from the server (2003). It is the Software deployment that fails since it is the only policy applied to the computer section.

i Have mine running on Imacs (intel) and location set to London with the Time being synchronized with the PDC of the Windows domain. We run both OD and AD with integration between the two.

This seems to be the only thing that is not working now.

Thank Post

does your RBC provide you with any NTP server which you can use? Then just point to the NTP server.

Im not sure how the time works on macs but i think the NTP servers we use on campus are runing of nix boxes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well gpupdate will update all the group policies of the domain controllers and will apply the new computer group policies, because you have made “Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon” this will wait for the computer to download the new group polices when the machine starts up and installs software if it needs to do so

Thank Post

errrrr, i'm not sure about that one.

It just raised a question with myself though. When you join Windows to the network it defaults to getting the network time (?) but apple installs some software to synchronize the clock with its mac-side clock to make sure it is correct. (?) I wonder if this is causing the issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i shouldn't have thought so

Thank Post

Just to update this. The Apple Time Service seems to start when logging in and then syncs the time (You can see the time change if you keep an eye on it).

I disabled this and then joined to the domain. After restarting the XP clients sync their time with the AD server. I then ran rsop.msc and no errors were detected. Another few restarts and the deployed software started to come down to the clients.

Worked for all the machines.

Well one workaround any way.

PS. Running Boot camp 1.3

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread