+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Wifi Connected But No Internet !. in Technical; Update. AM... Tried all above but still no internet connection, I'm going to a different location next to try there. ...
    Thank Post
    Update.

AM... Tried all above but still no internet connection, I'm going to a different location next to try there.
    Also tried running a Live CD 'PCLinuxOS 2012.02 KDE' just the same results.
    I did ask the pub landlady if she would re-boot her router but did not want to do that because of the tills.

PM ... I went to a public library and to a friends house to test wifi on laptop both connected with no problems but still would not connect at the pub.
    Last edited by tickmike; 6th August 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Thank Post
    There's clearly a problem with the pub's wireless router, not your computer.

Thank Post
    Chances are depending on what system the pub uses it could have something like a Captive Portal setup or MAC filtering.... You could ask them to allow the MAC on the router and see if it connects then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    It does sound like some form of MAC address filtering like I mentioned earlier, but it still doesn't explain why other devices can connect.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the encryption type or the channel the router is broadcasting on. Channel 13 can be problematic for some devices in Europe, hence it's recommended to stick to 1, 6 or 11 normally.

Channel 13's there, as many WAPs or routers are manufactured far far away from here and because they're designed for different markets, we end up with a one router fits all approach.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure if the landlord has been trying to set up the router himself because they had a massive bill because one of there guests in the B&B downloaded a load of illegal stuff and the police have been involved !.
    I will suggest they get a 'smoothwall box' so it can be locked down more.

Thank Post
    no need for a smoothwall box necessarily... pfsense will do captive portal for free and has much of the same features.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    no need for a smoothwall box necessarily... pfsense will do captive portal for free and has much of the same features.
    Yes I agree but with the money they have they can afford to get something ready made, i'm not getting involved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tickmike View Post
    Hi Ben, how do I stop them. ?
    Not that it helps with your problem or original question but you could copy and paste it into a text file, save the text file, attach the the text file and you shouldn't get any smileys that way

Also I would try and get it working at or on her uni wireless. If there are any issues then at least there will be an IT Department of some description and may just be a case of passing the mac address to them to allow the laptop on there system or something to that effect ??

Then at least you know it will work with the Uni wireless system and won't have to spend more time trying to get it to work on the pubs wireless system ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 8th August 2012 at 07:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not that it helps with your problem or original question but you could copy and paste it into a text file, save the text file, attach the the text file and you shouldn't get any smileys that way

Also I would try and get it working at or on her uni wireless. If there are any issues then at least there will be an IT Department of some description and may just be a case of passing the mac address to them to allow the laptop on there system or something to that effect ??

Then at least you know it will work with the Uni wireless system and won't have to spend more time trying to get it to work on the pubs wireless system ?
    Thanks for that, I had been in touch with the uni's IT manager when she was offered a place at that uni and with us going on a visit yesterday I wanted to get it all working before we went so I could do a live test. but it did not work out that way !(thanks to the problems with the pub).

10. Thanks to tickmike from:

mac_shinobi (9th August 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12