+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Anyone want to buy some old Ruckus kit? in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Anyone want to buy some old Ruckus kit?

I'm thinking of suggestioning to my Ruckus school (6 x11G APs and a ZD1000) that we try and flog them secondhand and replace them with say 12 or so Unfis.

Is there anyone around who wants to bite my hands off and lets deal, or quite keen, or slightly interested or who'd only take them off my hands as long as I had delivered them to the Channel Islands by Monday at no-cost to them!

I'm looking at a fiscally neutral solution for my school so that would work out at about £800 for you

Not approached head yet BTW.

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    May well be! What are the controller model numbers etc?

Thank Post
    Not there till next tues but will look them up then

But the controller is about 9 inches wide and the APs are those rounded cuby things if that helps!
    Si

Thank Post
    Wa a bit busy when I got there so just took a quick pic of one of the APs and they are Zoneflex 2942s. Didn't have time to dismount the controller but as I said, its a ZD1000.

If anyone wishes to do a deal - let me know here or pm

Si

Thank Post
    Does the controller only take a max of 6 APs? - I don't know much about ruckus or how you can tell! We're desperately looking to get managed wireless, ideally Ruckus but the cost is quite prohibitive for us! We're in Lancs too so collection may be feasible but would ideally need to be able to expend to a minimum of 15 APs..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Does the controller only take a max of 6 APs? - I don't know much about ruckus or how you can tell!
    It's a software thing.. it tells you in the controller dashboard. I'd guess the controller was licenced for 6 APs, thats a standard and there is no point paying for more licences until you need them!

What feature of Ruckus makes it the solution for you, out of interest?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Does the controller only take a max of 6 APs? - I don't know much about ruckus or how you can tell! We're desperately looking to get managed wireless, ideally Ruckus but the cost is quite prohibitive for us! We're in Lancs too so collection may be feasible but would ideally need to be able to expend to a minimum of 15 APs..
    You can get more liscences, it depends on the controller model but I think that one goes up to at least 12 APs and I think the liscences are upgradable between controllers, that controller should support the newer 802.11n APs as well to up the count but will not support the very latest firmware version, should still have more than enough features though.

Thank Post
    Thats the problem, the controller only does 6 APs- Ruckus have declared it EOL so even if you could get extra licences you'd be dealing with an EOL product

I want to swap it out because
    1. We've had classrooms added and the 6APs were pushing it anyway for our site so need more and cost of buying more ruckus is a non-starter (as would need new controller as well)
    2. half of our netbooks and the Ruckus don't like talking to each other for 30% of the time

So I'm really just selling the APs but the lucky buyer is free to have the controller as well

I really,really,really recommend buying a pack of 3 Unifis for £180 and seeing if they will do what you want cause unless you have 20 whizzy VLANS on your net or somesuch high tech requirements - they are a Ronseal solution

Si

Thank Post
    ZoneDirector 1000 will support upto 50 Access Points.
    As @SYNACK mentioned it will not support the (very) latest firmware 9.4, but is still very much up to date.
    The main difference between the ZD1000 and newer ZD1000 is that it has more internal memory to accomodate the enhanced features etc, but to be honest all the current features will probably cover 99% of most situations.

Thank Post
    PS If I can't sell these, I'll just have to consolidate all the ruckus into Junior area and cover infants with Unifi as my next cost-effective solution

Si

Thank Post
    PS If I can't sell these, I'll just have to consolidate all the ruckus into Junior area and cover infants with Unifi as my next cost-effective solution

Si

Thank Post
    So - no-one else needs/wants some Ruckus APs?

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    So - no-one else needs/wants some Ruckus APs?

Si
    Free WIFI in your street! ;-) don't you know any local community centers / primary schools that you could maybe donate it to?

(if no one is willing to pay for it)

I was considering taking it off your hands as thinking of maybe throwing it in our office or something (i'd only need 2 APs) but how much you thinking of letting it go for?

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Free WIFI in your street! ;-) don't you know any local community centers / primary schools that you could maybe donate it to?

(if no one is willing to pay for it)

I was considering taking it off your hands as thinking of maybe throwing it in our office or something (i'd only need 2 APs) but how much you thinking of letting it go for?

James.
    Read the OP
    I want to replace my 6 Ruckus APs with 12 Unif at no cost to me

So I need about £720

So assuming £720 for 6 then I 'd sell each AP for £120

My plan would be buyer buys me the Unfi's (2 per Ruckus AP) and gets them shipped to me and I'd ship mine direct to them in return

I thought their might be people out there with exisiting Ruckus network that might be after extra APs and willing to do a deal

Si

PS god knows if the head will go for this but he normally trusts me - lets face it - he let me pay zillions for the Ruckus in the 1st place

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you looked into the controller upgrade offer that @CPLTD or @Net-Ctrl (not sure which) had on, that might provide another path if you can't sell them. If the AP liscences are transferable someone could chuck them on their existing controller as space fillers. Somethig I was considering but out first batch of Rukus gear does not even show up for another week so I don't think they'd let me double the provision before we even get the controller and first lot of APs.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th July 2012 at 01:11 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread