+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, WDS and .WIM files. in Technical; Ok I am new to WDS and never used RIS before and have been playing about with WDS today. I ...

Thank Post

WDS and .WIM files.

Ok I am new to WDS and never used RIS before and have been playing about with WDS today.

I have it all installed and configured and client machines can get to a file not found when booting on the network. I think this is correct as I have not yet created an image.

Now I understand that when a client machine is syprepped I should be able to reboot it and boot from the network and get a menu up from the WDS server asking what to do or what image to deploy to the machine.

Well it says file not found and after reading technet it looks like I need to add an image to the install or boot image folder first. How do I do this? I right click and add boot/install image but it needs a WIM file, what is a WIM file and where can I get one? I don't understand how to create one.

I am guessing that a boot wim file is a windows xp cd type of installation image.

I am also guessing that an install wim file is completed windows xp machine image ready to be deployed to other machines.

Now if all this is correct then why do I need to create an image before I capture an image? This is where I am lost.

Do I somehow download or make a WIM file that will contain the images I upload to the server? This seems to make sense but like I said I am completely cost as to where to get or make a WIM?

Any help would be great and I have been scratching my head all day over this one.

It could be that I have it all set up wrong hence where it says cant find file but I do feel i have a loose grasp on the who process but missing out an important step.

Cheers

Thank Post

Re: WDS and .WIM files.

By the way I am using XP Pro clients not Vista

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread