+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Extricom or Ruckus (or indeed anything else really good at coping with interference) in Technical; Hi all, Just looking for up to date advice or opinions on which manufacturer to go with. I just had ...

Thank Post

Thumbs up Extricom or Ruckus (or indeed anything else really good at coping with interference)

Hi all,

Just looking for up to date advice or opinions on which manufacturer to go with. I just had a quick demo of Extricom and have heard good things about Ruckus so am favouring one of those two but am open to any really.

Our key thing is dealing with the neighbouring schools spread of APs in all bands.

Anyway, as I say, any tips or thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Thank Post
    We are a boarding school with Ruckus, there are staff onsite with their own wireless. It deals with these with no issue and changes channels to suit.

3. 2 Thanks to dave.81:

MarkPower (20th June 2012), Vi7ER (15th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    We have Ruckus at our site, and I have had it in my last 2 schools and its great, using it for BYOD, School Owned and Guest units in my current place and it works great @Net-Ctrl supplied it to us and have been brilliant

5. Thanks to john from:

MarkPower (20th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Vi7ER:

I would also have a look at Aerohive Wi-Fi and wired network access for branch office and headquarters @Soulfish has it at his academy and has had good results.

bio
    Thank Post
    +1 for cisco with cleanair

bio..

Thank Post
    I've just had an Aerohive webex and they are sending me a demo unit. I do like the features and distributed nature of the Aerohive and will see how it copes in our interference zone when I demo it, as that is our key concern.

FYI both the Ruckus and Extricom I've had demo'd worked great despite the interference but that was not hooked up our own network which I will insist on before purchasing any solution.

In my mind the Ruckus tech is going to be best at actually coping with interference due to their Antenna array. Aerohive seems the most robust and feature full though.

Any more tips or thoughts are most welcome!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vi7ER View Post
    Hi all,

Just looking for up to date advice or opinions on which manufacturer to go with. I just had a quick demo of Extricom and have heard good things about Ruckus so am favouring one of those two but am open to any really.

Our key thing is dealing with the neighbouring schools spread of APs in all bands.

Anyway, as I say, any tips or thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    We inherited Extricom here. It is the bane of our existence. It doesn't work properly, firmware is a joke, radio strength seems weak. Simple things like link lights not working on their controllers to connected devices. Radio strength being very weak compared to other wireless solutions in our environment.

Coverage seems to be twice as strong when placing a Meraki or third party device directly on top of the Extricom access point to do a 1-1 comparison. Throughput and coverage was more than doubled. I would save yourself the headache.
    Last edited by SuperfluousAdjective; 6th July 2012 at 07:20 PM.

10. 2 Thanks to SuperfluousAdjective:

old_n07 (9th July 2012), Vi7ER (8th July 2012)

Thank Post
    At the moment I am pretty much leaning towards Ruckus!

I've not yet tested Aerohive but as I said there should be a test unit with me soon. I like what Aerohive is capable of from a management perspective, but the really important thing is just having a really solid wifi solution and I think Ruckus maybe topdog thanks to it's fancy radio arrays.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I've been playing with Maraki Recently and have to say the coverage seems pretty good as well as coping with interferance. In our office block alone there is 12 other AP's and it works pretty much throughout. We where testing yesterday when driving a wirelessly controlled Romo. We are on the second floor and sent it up to the 4th. Out building is a very thick wall old Mill.

Thank Post
    We are in the process of testing Meraki, Rukus, Extricom, Aerohive, Aruba and Xirrus for the next few weeks before making a descision on a solution after having HP installed and then ripped out again because it didn't work

Currently we have a Meraki MR24 installed in the office and it isn't performiing very well, it can't stream a HD video source from a local server without stuttering to a Macbook and we are also having problems with a Toshiba laptop with a Realtek wireless NIC.

We are expecting the Rukus, Aerohive and Extricom kit next week so we can do some side by side testing and the other offerings by the end of the following week.

We like the look of the Aerohive (with it being controler-less) and Rukus solutions but the price on the Rukus is a lot more than the Areohive when specing the triple stream AP's considering we are looking at 120 ish.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old_n07 View Post
    Currently we have a Meraki MR24 installed in the office and it isn't performiing very well, it can't stream a HD video source from a local server without stuttering to a Macbook and we are also having problems with a Toshiba laptop with a Realtek wireless NIC.
    Which Macbook out of interest? My boss has a MB Pro and hasn't had a single problem - we are using the MR16 as these where the NFR unit's we received from them.

Thank Post
    It is a Macbook Pro about 18 months old IIRC, Meraki have been on the phone talking to one of the other members of our team and they were going to update the firmware to see if it makes any difference.

It was just one AP put up in the office as basic test, we will be fitting four AP's (2 x MR16 + 2 x MR24) in the test area next week so we can do some proper testing including voice roaming between AP's.

Thank Post
    It is a Macbook Pro about 18 months old IIRC, Meraki have been on the phone talking to one of the other members of our team and they were going to update the firmware to see if it makes any difference.

It was just one AP put up in the office as basic test, we will be fitting four AP's (2 x MR16 + 2 x MR24) in the test area next week so we can do some proper testing including voice roaming between AP's.
    Not tried voice roaming with ours yet, data roaming is fine - will be interesting to hear how you get on. I'm rolling out 8 x MR16's to a client this week (one at each office). have you done any work with there switching? Trying to get myself an NFR unit but we signed up as a wireless partner!

Thank Post
    No, we haven't used their switches got to say cosmetically they'll appeal to the Apple fan boys but I don't know how they perform as we have a Procurve wired network

Thank Post
    No, we haven't used their switches got to say cosmetically they'll appeal to the Apple fan boys but I don't know how they perform as we have a Procurve wired network
    Yes they do - I'm a procurve Fan just if the switches can perform being able to send a switch to a client and it be pre-configured with a setup would be brilliant.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast