+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, D-Link DWS-3024L Issues - Wireless unable to pick up DHCP in Technical; Hello All, I'm really, really struggling with this issue and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. ...

Thank Post

D-Link DWS-3024L Issues - Wireless unable to pick up DHCP

Hello All,

I'm really, really struggling with this issue and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. We have 2 D-Link DWS-3024L Wireless Management Switches. Between these 2 switches we have 39 D-Link DWL-3500APs. Each AP broadcasts 2 networks. The past few months I've been getting more and more reports of wireless clients not being able contact DHCP to get an IP address. I'll get an entire class of 30 netbooks all unable to get ip addresses. The only solution seems to be to reboot the switches, which reboots the APs. I'm now having to reboot these every couple of days! It's driving me mad and causing a fair bit of disruption when it happens as we have a fair number of netbooks and staff laptops.

Any thoughts or ideas for where to start looking would be really appreciated!

N

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has any kind of firmware update been applied to the wireless side of the network on either the switches or APs?

Thank Post
    No, nothing has been done recently. We installed a couple of extra APs (which have newer firmware) back over Easter but the issues have appeared long after they went in! I think I've figured out the problem anyway. I've disasbled Spanning Tree Protocol on the Management Switch and instantly the netbooks that had the issue managed to get IP addresses

Thank Post
    Hi, I too am having problems connecting netbooks to the DWL-3500ap's. There are upto 30 netbooks in a class. Some classes have 3 WAPs providing plenty of coverage but they still get limited connectivity. I recently updated the firmware on all of the WAPs to the latest version 3, as recommended by my supplier and D-Link, but the problem persists and seems to have gotten worse! I haven't updated the firmware on the managed switches though. Did as you say disabling the Spanning Tree Protocol fix the issue permanently or do you still have trouble? Did you disable it on all managed wireless switches?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Thank Post
    Hi Nick,

It sounds like you're having the same issue we've been having. The netbooks would like yours say limited connectivity, they wouldn't get IP addresses. The moment I turned Spanning Tree Protocol off on our Management Switches the netbooks instantly received IP addresses. I turned it off on both of our switches. We do get the odd machine here and there still having the issue but we're no longer getting an entire class (30+ Netbooks) unable to connect.

Neil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread