+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
Wireless Networks Thread, Boarding House Wireless - Meru vs. Xirrus in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK You are right the IAP series does have its limits, it does sound like the cloud ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You are right the IAP series does have its limits, it does sound like the cloud ones may have some of the same issues you were talking about though, if they are disconnected from the controller but still run the featureset surely they are doing something very similar to the IAP series so may be subject to some of the same overheads with CPU and resources.
    Not exactly because each AP is only responsible for itself and some functions are managed by the controller, they will just continue to operate as is until new instructions are given. Things like channel selection and power changes for interferance management is down while no access to the controller. And since each AP is responsible only for itself it becomes a distributed overhead. Whereas with Aruba there is one AP assigned to both control and manage all other APs in the network, albeit with a silly limit of 16. There is no distribution of resources. This is similar to what Aerohive tried in the past. They killed the program because it sucked. The feature set you can provide is lacking and the limit of the number of APs is annoying and expensive when you hit the wall. Turns out it is just more beneficial all around to put a controller in the cloud or distribute the management among the APs.

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,042
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 63 Times in 56 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    We are a boarding school, although much smaller, using Ruckus. We have some very old buildings and have had to use more AP's in some areas than we had hoped due to the building style. We are just looking at buying more AP's to cover a few dead spots.

    As a whole the system has been great although the lack of support for our current controller has been a sore subject seen it's only 3 years old and no longer relieves updates.

  3. #18

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,043
    Thank Post
    1,395
    Thanked 644 Times in 500 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    We are a boarding school, although much smaller, using Ruckus...As a whole the system has been great although the lack of support for our current controller has been a sore subject seen it's only 3 years old and no longer relieves updates.
    Hi Dave, I'll drop you a PM as we might be able to do something on the 1000 to 1100 upgrade.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperfluousAdjective View Post
    Not exactly because each AP is only responsible for itself and some functions are managed by the controller, they will just continue to operate as is until new instructions are given. Things like channel selection and power changes for interferance management is down while no access to the controller. And since each AP is responsible only for itself it becomes a distributed overhead. Whereas with Aruba there is one AP assigned to both control and manage all other APs in the network, albeit with a silly limit of 16. There is no distribution of resources. This is similar to what Aerohive tried in the past. They killed the program because it sucked. The feature set you can provide is lacking and the limit of the number of APs is annoying and expensive when you hit the wall. Turns out it is just more beneficial all around to put a controller in the cloud or distribute the management among the APs.
    The Aruba IAP system is actually unlimited as of early this year. The controller AP is just there if you want to change something it doesn't do any co-ordination of any other APs. If it dies another AP assumes the 'management' IP address.

    So there is distribution of function with aruba

    Other good aruba feature all the APs are lifetime warranty and you don't pay any support feed but with meraki if you stop paying your yearly fee you wont be able to manage your system any more.

    So I would argue look at the 5 year costs.

    DISCLOSURE I work for Aruba.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jc666777 View Post
    The Aruba IAP system is actually unlimited as of early this year. The controller AP is just there if you want to change something it doesn't do any co-ordination of any other APs. If it dies another AP assumes the 'management' IP address.

    So there is distribution of function with aruba

    Other good aruba feature all the APs are lifetime warranty and you don't pay any support feed but with meraki if you stop paying your yearly fee you wont be able to manage your system any more.

    So I would argue look at the 5 year costs.

    DISCLOSURE I work for Aruba.
    Thank you for the update. I wasn't aware of the change. I'll have to look back at your product offering for the next wireless build-out we do and see how it compares to the Aerohive solution. I personally prefer a distributed or cloud based controller solution. As far as the five year costs we recently received many quotes on a wireless deployment of about 200 APs from many vendors. An Aruba bid was made using AP105 access points and a controller. Five year cost was about 35% more expensive than the comparable Meraki MR16. This obviously is dependent upon region, hardware vendor, level of educational discount and many other factors so I assume the price differential we received is not the same across the board. But for us the difference we saw was very great. Even if you fully removed the Aruba controller from the quote the 10 year cost (assuming pricing doesn't change) on Meraki would be cheaper than the 5 year cost of Aruba (with no controller costs). They are pushing some pretty heavy educational discounts around here. A lot of districts in this area have been going with them lately. We called about 6 of them before deciding on Meraki and all of them were very pleased with the product. Not a single negative statement other than one client who wasn't using key caching would have liked to see better roaming performance.
    Last edited by SuperfluousAdjective; 15th September 2012 at 11:17 PM.

  6. #21

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,084
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperfluousAdjective View Post
    Thank you for the update. I wasn't aware of the change. I'll have to look back at your product offering for the next wireless build-out we do and see how it compares to the Aerohive solution. I personally prefer a distributed or cloud based controller solution. As far as the five year costs we recently received many quotes on a wireless deployment of about 200 APs from many vendors. An Aruba bid was made using AP105 access points and a controller. Five year cost was about 35% more expensive than the comparable Meraki MR16. This obviously is dependent upon region, hardware vendor, level of educational discount and many other factors so I assume the price differential we received is not the same across the board. But for us the difference we saw was very great. Even if you fully removed the Aruba controller from the quote the 10 year cost (assuming pricing doesn't change) on Meraki would be cheaper than the 5 year cost of Aruba (with no controller costs). They are pushing some pretty heavy educational discounts around here. A lot of districts in this area have been going with them lately. We called about 6 of them before deciding on Meraki and all of them were very pleased with the product. Not a single negative statement other than one client who wasn't using key caching would have liked to see better roaming performance.
    That does make sense though, a lot of the products are priced for the US market and are rubbish value in any other market. That is how we end up with stuff that would be the more expensive stuff instead as when you apply the you're not American, up your rear tax to 'cheaper' stuff it are horrifically overpriced. It is actually cheaper to buy stuff in the US and ship it here then retrofit it with local PSUs than it is to buy it locally thanks to the insane premium that is applied to anything outside the states. Lots of stuff that makes perfect sense in the states makes no sense anywhere else in the world, like Apple products.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 17th September 2012 at 07:12 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless Bridge Vs 10M Fibre
    By PrimaryTech in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st March 2012, 02:40 PM
  2. Anyone have a boarding house to setup ICT for?
    By zag in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25th November 2011, 10:31 PM
  3. SMART Board 600 Wireless Connection Kit
    By karldenton in forum AV and Multimedia Related
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th July 2011, 11:43 AM
  4. Meru vs Ruckus
    By MyBrainHurts in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 8th July 2010, 11:45 AM
  5. Wireless vs Cabled
    By JaseO in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15th May 2008, 07:42 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •