+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, VLAN Clarification Required in Technical; Just had a reply regardsing the 2610: Hi, the 2610 comes with a 10mb Ethernet interface built in. Despite it ...
    Thank Post

Re: VLAN Clarification Required

Just had a reply regardsing the 2610:
    Hi, the 2610 comes with a 10mb Ethernet interface built in. Despite it being 10mb it is fully capable of 802.1q VLAN trunking. At £49, the router does not come with any extra WIC modules although these are available at extra cost. A WIC-1T serial module is £25, and a NM-4A/S 4x serial module is £45. Although the ebay listed router does not include any extras, I can throw in a power cable, console cable, and a CD full of Cisco training material if you buy today.
    Do you know if the 10Mb units are upgradeable to 100mb???

Thank Post

They're build onboard. You can get modules for fast ethernet i believe but they're expensive. I've got a mate that looked into it.

If you're not going to connect more than one router then i dont see the need for the WIC cards. But i can recommend the new WIC-2T ones. They're relatively cheap on ebay and if you're housing them all in the same cab the short smart-serial cables are great

Thank Post

Sorry to hijack thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Are you familiar with configuring via the cisco IOS?

You've reminded me to power mine up to get some practice seeing as i've not done it in a few weeks and resume my CCNA in september.
    Dynamips is a cisco router emulator. Wack a IOS in exactly the same as you would a real router. Map a virtual port to a physical nic and start forwarding traffic. Want to setup a virtual network? No problem.

http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator

Zebra is a real software router with commands very similar to cisco.
    http://www.zebra.org/

Thank Post

That's all very well and good, but have you tried to get hold of a Cisco IOS legally? They're very expensive. And if it's a school you're going to want to use something that's not legally questionable, so using the IOS that comes wiht the router should allow you to do that.

Thank Post

I am intrested in Zebra, I wonder how Geoff do his routing as he has just added and old linux PC and config'd that as a router.

I have alot of old kit lying around maybe this would be a better way to do this rather than trying to hunt down a cisco router.

Also, just popped into my mind, what about failover if the router dies, can we load balance these things or do we just need a second unit on stand by??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am intrested in Zebra
    Zebra is a dead project, look at Quagga if you want a software router daemon for Linux that's actively developed.

http://www.quagga.net/

I wonder how Geoff do his routing as he has just added and old linux PC and config'd that as a router.
    My router is really a firewall. I just get routing for free.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5826
    http://www.shorewall.net/Shorewall_and_Routing.html

Thank Post

Right here goes, just ordered a Cisco 2651XM Dual 10/100 NICs with ISO version 12.8 IP Base for the Inter VLAN routing.

Let me see if I have this right in my head:

All devices will have thier gateway IP changed to show the router address and all requests will be sent to the router, the router then forwards on the DHCP requests to the DHCP server which should in theory provide the correct IP based on the sunbent the VLAN is in.

Hmmmm how does the router / dhcp server know this?? As far as I am aware the DHCP server looks for the soure address and then offers an IP address from the same range as the source address but if the request has been forwarded via the router is the source address not the routers address??

Or am I missing a trick here??

Thank Post

Thank Post

@Joedetic: This makes sense, set up the router with the relay agent and it "relays" NOT "forwards".

Cheers for the info !

Thank Post

Thank Post

@ICTNUT,

I would seriously consider a Layer 3 switch to do the routing rather than the cisco router because layer 3 switch does HW routing (ASIC based) rather than software which is slower.

I would advise you use something like the Catalyst 3550 or even better Catalyst 3750 series switches.

You mentioned the IP helper command, the way it works it that when the switch recieves a request for an IP it then converts it to a unicast packet and sends it to the DHCP server's VLAN and the DHCP server will think its come from its own vlan but the gateway address is different and hence it will pick the correct scope to get an ip from and deliver it to the layer 3 switch which will forward it to the correct client on the correct vlan.

you will not need to run any routing protocols as well this way becvause the layer 3 switch will have the routes available to all vlans unless you put an ACL to deny traffic from one vlan to another say.

HTH,

Ash.

Thank Post

@Ashok: I agree with you that a layer 3 swicth would solve the problem however as usual this is needing to be done on a budget and the Catalyst 3750 is the best part of £4k.

The Cisco 2651 I have picked up brand new and sealed under warranty for only £275 from a supplier of mine.

I agree there maybe a performance hit but I don't think it will be really noticeable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12