+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Ubiquiti UniFi WiFi - Too good to be true? in Technical; Am i right in thinking this a controllerless wireless network solution? Its a bit of both The "controller" software is ...

Thank Post
    Am i right in thinking this a controllerless wireless network solution?
    Its a bit of both

The "controller" software is necessary to get your system configured (e.g set SSID/channels/power levels etc) but is not needed after that if you don't use extra stuff like captive portals etc and the "controller" doesn't control the AP in realtime - its really a setup/maintenance/logging tool.

The "controller" software runs on any Window/Linux machine

Si

Thank Post
    I have opened up one of the UAPs and it's quite interesting to see that it's very much commodity embedded hardware.
    Which possibly explains why Ubiquiti can sell the UAP (non-Pro) for such low price.
    It may have less magic than other APs but if it does the job you expect from it, then why not?

The UAPs run with some embedded Linux and have dropbear SSHd, you can even login on the shell with the credentials of
    the Unifi admin credentials once you have taken control over the AP with the software.

There is at least one daemon running which must be the service whith which the controller software must be talking to configure and provision the AP.
    In fact you could even flash them with e.g. OpenWRT one day if you're really want. (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifi, there is a picture of the insides too)

Thank Post
    n fact you could even flash them with e.g. OpenWRT
    What would be more useful would be to flash a Buffalo G54 with the Unifi software

Si

Thank Post
    We use the Ubiquiti system around this site, and have circa 60 AP's dotted all over. The ability to have 4 x SSID's on separate VLAN's is pretty neat. I am just in the throws of setting up the built in Hotspot facility so that one of our SSID's is going to be available via a voucher system for any guest visitors we have on site. We have had some issues when the controller software on the server wouldn't start, but a bit of head scratching and recording the MAC addresses of each of the AP's has sorted that out should it ever happen again! Overall, very pleased, but I don't have any experience of other 'professional' systems for comparison.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12