+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Buffalo AP randomly becomes unresponsive in Technical; I have eight Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 units flashed with DD-WRT (v24-sp2 std) and three out of the eight will randomly stop ...
    Thank Post

Buffalo AP randomly becomes unresponsive

I have eight Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 units flashed with DD-WRT (v24-sp2 std) and three out of the eight will randomly stop responding to network traffic. When they become unresponsive I am unable to ping or connect to the web gui. Clients can see the AP but get no IP when connecting. If a client is connected when the AP becomes unresponsive the connection drops and displays the x on the connection status (Windows 7). In my troubleshooting I thought maybe the problem was coming from multiple connects/disconnects over the course of the week so I created a cron to reboot each AP every morning before any clients attempt to connect but that didn't seem to help. Unplugging the network cable to the AP and reconnecting it will bring connectivity back and it will work until it randomly quits again. Same goes for unplugging the power and rebooting the AP. All eight AP's were flashed at the same time with the same firmware and have been in place for over two years before this problem arose. I have replaced cables and changed ports to where the AP makes the connection back to the core router/switch but that has not changed anything. I thought I would ask around before I reflashed the AP's or replaced them. I know it's not impossible that three units could be bad, but I find it odd that they all lasted the same amount of time before failing so I have to believe it is software or a load issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bmittleider View Post
    I have eight Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 units flashed with DD-WRT (v24-sp2 std) and three out of the eight will randomly stop responding to network traffic. When they become unresponsive I am unable to ping or connect to the web gui. Clients can see the AP but get no IP when connecting. If a client is connected when the AP becomes unresponsive the connection drops and displays the x on the connection status (Windows 7). In my troubleshooting I thought maybe the problem was coming from multiple connects/disconnects over the course of the week so I created a cron to reboot each AP every morning before any clients attempt to connect but that didn't seem to help. Unplugging the network cable to the AP and reconnecting it will bring connectivity back and it will work until it randomly quits again. Same goes for unplugging the power and rebooting the AP. All eight AP's were flashed at the same time with the same firmware and have been in place for over two years before this problem arose. I have replaced cables and changed ports to where the AP makes the connection back to the core router/switch but that has not changed anything. I thought I would ask around before I reflashed the AP's or replaced them. I know it's not impossible that three units could be bad, but I find it odd that they all lasted the same amount of time before failing so I have to believe it is software or a load issue.

Any thoughts?
    How many clients are connected to each of the devices? Do you experience this at quiet times also? Are the access points configured with static IP addresses?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
    How many clients are connected to each of the devices? Do you experience this at quiet times also? Are the access points configured with static IP addresses?
    The AP that has the most problems typically has 5-8 devices connected to it throughout the day. It seems as though it is at random times and sometimes it works throughout the day and then the next morning it is in its unresponsive state. I have scheduled through a cron to reboot the routers twice a day but it seems as though when they become unresponsive they don't execute the cron or I would think they would be functional. They do have static IPs assigned and have since being installed.

Thank Post
    The AP that has the most problems typically has 5-8 devices connected to it throughout the day. It seems as though it is at random times and sometimes it works throughout the day and then the next morning it is in its unresponsive state. I have scheduled through a cron to reboot the routers twice a day but it seems as though when they become unresponsive they don't execute the cron or I would think they would be functional. They do have static IPs assigned and have since being installed.
    You mentioned that when this happens you are unable to ping or access the web interface of the access points... is that from all devices in the network? For example, are you able to ping or access the web interface from a device which doesn't connect wirelessly?

Thank Post
    I've got one of these at home, and sometimes the windows host will only get an APIPA address from the upstream dhcp server, but setting a static IP (or using android) works.. a restart fixes that, too. Roughly monthly for me. Wonder if they're part of the same class of problem. I CAN get on the web UI from wired when this happens though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hav you recently introduced more Windows Vista/7 clients with IP6? We had a stack of APs that went totally postal when we migrated the first few over and totally ferral when we migrated more. It was just messy implementation in the software so maybe a firmware upgrade to a later version.

On the hardware side they are just consumer level devices so will have limited memory and limited quality internals and cooling. Its quite possible that three of them are just on the way out, especially if the power is a little dodgey. Have you tried swapping the power adapter from a stable one to a dodgey one, it could even be just that as these - power adapters - are usually manufactured for tiny sums to very questionable quality.

Thank Post
    Hi

Are you having power surges. We had to put ours on an ups and that stopped it playing up and loosing settings.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
    You mentioned that when this happens you are unable to ping or access the web interface of the access points... is that from all devices in the network? For example, are you able to ping or access the web interface from a device which doesn't connect wirelessly?
    I have tried from multiple devices wireless and wired from the network and am still unable to ping/http into the router.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Hav you recently introduced more Windows Vista/7 clients with IP6?
    Haven't introduced any new devices but re-imaged a few since the install of the APs. However we do not use IP6 anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

Are you having power surges. We had to put ours on an ups and that stopped it playing up and loosing settings.

Richard
    Not all of the troubled devices are plugged directly into a ups or surge protector but the one that has the most problems is plugged directly into an APC 1000 unit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haven't introduced any new devices but re-imaged a few since the install of the APs. However we do not use IP6 anywhere.
    It is still enabled by default and will use it in the background unless you disble it, that was enough to set ours off.

Have you tried a different power adapter, even protected by a UPS those adapters are a major weakpoint.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 5th April 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Have the kids found the wifi kill app

Richard

Thank Post
    HI

Have the access points got the latest firmware.

Support - Downloads | Buffalo Technology

Richard

Thank Post
    Try disabling a few features like WMM (old intel cards dislike this) any Manufacture specific turbo stuff, allow only a long preamble & disable b support if you don't need it.

See if you can set up a log server, then you may see if any weird things are happening before it fails. Also telnet is your friend see if you can telnet in (before it crashes), if it does I'd bet its got more options than the web interface.

If none of that works check the antennas are correctly connected (may cause radio to over heat) and finally reduce the output by half to see if it is cooking itself.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 5th April 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    It is still enabled by default and will use it in the background unless you disble it, that was enough to set ours off.

Have you tried a different power adapter, even protected by a UPS those adapters are a major weakpoint.
    I have replaced the power adapter to the ap that has been acting up the most. I will have to monitor it for a week or two to really know if it did anything. I also started disabling IPv6 on all our faculty laptops to see if it has any effect. I will only make these two changes and monitor it now for awhile to see if any change.

Have the kids found the wifi kill app

Richard
    It's not impossible that they found/used it but with the timing of the outages so random and even during the times students are not present I am leaning towards it not being the cause.

HI

Have the access points got the latest firmware.

Support - Downloads | Buffalo Technology

Richard
    All the ap's have been flashed with DD-WRT over the stock Buffalo firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Try disabling a few features like WMM (old intel cards dislike this) any Manufacture specific turbo stuff, allow only a long preamble & disable b support if you don't need it.

See if you can set up a log server, then you may see if any weird things are happening before it fails. Also telnet is your friend see if you can telnet in (before it crashes), if it does I'd bet its got more options than the web interface.

If none of that works check the antennas are correctly connected (may cause radio to over heat) and finally reduce the output by half to see if it is cooking itself.
    I will start by setting up a log server to monitor the units and see if I can pinpoint when and what is going on. Thanks for the suggestion. If I continue to see the problem after changing a few settings from the previous posts I will then try reducing the output.

Thank Post
    HI

I had problems with flashing a buffallo a few years ago and had to resort to putting the buffalo firmware back. But if you need to keep it for a reason you need to eliminate the the firmware as the problem. There are several versions of linux that can do this 7 alternative firmware for wireless routers - Instant Fundas but please note you can birck your device. The other thing I have seen do this is if they are over heating. Plus have you considered sniffing the traffic on your network and analysis the results with something like the free version of Real-time portable network analyzer, Sniff Packets and Analyze Protocols, Free Trial - Colasoft

It can show you allsort of things like conflicting ip addresses and nic cards spamming the network which could cause the nic on the access point to crash and stop working and this would be random.

Richard

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If IP6 does turn out to be the cause your long term solution is not turning it off but replacing the APs with something a bit more robust. IP6 is going in everything now and some do not have the option to fully turn it off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast