+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Buffalo AP randomly becomes unresponsive in Technical; No v6 on wireless on my windows boxes - but (unused) wired connections had it until 2 mins ago....

Thank Post
    No v6 on wireless on my windows boxes - but (unused) wired connections had it until 2 mins ago.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    No v6 on wireless on my windows boxes - but (unused) wired connections had it until 2 mins ago.
    Two minutes ago, why. If you turned it off your just killing an extra layer of network robustness. Windows systems will quite happily do stuff over IP6 when is bails on IP4 like connections to resources over a VPN with the same IP4 domain as it can just go over IP6.

Turning it off just to keep some old junk working is just posponing a problem not solving it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Just to add to what @SYNACK said about IPv6...

Q. What are Microsoft's recommendations about disabling IPv6?
    A. It is unfortunate that some organizations disable IPv6 on their computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008, where it is installed and enabled by default. Many disable IPv6-based on the assumption that they are not running any applications or services that use it. Others might disable it because of a misperception that having both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled effectively doubles their DNS and Web traffic. This is not true.

From Microsoft's perspective, IPv6 is a mandatory part of the Windows operating system and it is enabled and included in standard Windows service and application testing during the operating system development process. Because Windows was designed specifically with IPv6 present, Microsoft does not perform any testing to determine the effects of disabling IPv6. If IPv6 is disabled on Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008, or later versions, some components will not function. Moreover, applications that you might not think are using IPv6—such as Remote Assistance, HomeGroup, DirectAccess, and Windows Mail—could be.

Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you leave IPv6 enabled, even if you do not have an IPv6-enabled network, either native or tunneled. By leaving IPv6 enabled, you do not disable IPv6-only applications and services (for example, HomeGroup in Windows 7 and DirectAccess in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are IPv6-only) and your hosts can take advantage of IPv6-enhanced connectivity. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 6th April 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Thank Post
    I count the windows box as "keeping some old junk working"

Just want to see if it helps the AP's stability. My natural curiosity to mess. I doubt it will have any effect - the wired netwrok isnt used, but we'll see.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    I count the windows box as "keeping some old junk working"

Just want to see if it helps the AP's stability. My natural curiosity to mess. I doubt it will have any effect - the wired netwrok isnt used, but we'll see.
    Yea, thats my view on the APs, some old dirty *nix junk, Windows of any version does not trash itself when exposed to IP6. It took some time but they have fixed in newer devices. What kind of AP are you having issues with? The ones that really hammered it home for use were TP-Link and a few older netgear ones that just went mental when exposed to IP6.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12