+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, New server in Technical; I've just started supporting a new (to me) school and have inherited a full domain-based network running from a single ...

Thank Post

New server

I've just started supporting a new (to me) school and have inherited a full domain-based network running from a single server.

I have also inherited a plan and the parts to build a new server, which I have now done, but I'm now trying to decide on the best way to use it.

We're having a few problems with people getting their profiles when they log-on and with slow log-ons, so I want to use the new server to try and reduce these issues.

Any suggestions? The old server is almost full and is pretty slow now - I'm not quite sure what to do.

Thanks
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: New server

Hi Chris

Judging by the fact that it is a domain based network, i'm guessing that its a Windows based server - but perhaps a few more details are needed - NT4, 2000, 2003?

There are certainly loads of things I could advise, but a lot depends on the "flavour" of your current server!

Thank Post

Like pete says, we need more details Chris, but not only the server OS, but how many clients and users is it currently serving - along with how many users are using the server at any one time.

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post

Sorry guys, manic day at work so only just able to reply back now! And how utterly stupid of me to be so vague - I apologise

The current server is running Server 2003 Standard Edition. It also runs Exchange for a shared calendar and some sort of dark arts with the office e-mail which was set up before my time and I know nothing about...

It's currently serving about 45 PCs and laptops, some via Wireless (I know!) Potentially all machines in use at the same time. At an estimate, I would say there are about 200 user accounts on the system.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Thank Post

I would configure the new server as a file server and move the home folders\profiles over.

I also don't like Exchange on a DC and would seriously think about moving exchange over too.

Thank Post

^ I agree.

Whats the spec of the servers?

(Based on the assumption that the old one is P4 512-1gb ram sort of spec) id use it purerly for AD, DNS, DHCP, WINS, whatever. And then have all the shares, profiles, and folder redirects, start menus etc (basically any files) plus exchange on the new one.

Just bang as much ram as you can in the old one and it should cope fine. Id be happy running a DC with 45clients on 1gb ram with a P4 equivelant CPU. If your old server isnt even this spec it might even be best to build a new one yourself. Our 2 DCs are self builds (Opteron 144, 2gb ram) serving 300ish clients and they seem to cope alright

Thank Post

I also don't like Exchange on a DC and would seriously think about moving exchange over too.
    I also agree... If you can at all help it, move Exchange to a different server.

For example, I have mine on a seperate server that also runs WSUS, and would - if i had time to work it out - WDS [currently RIS on the DC heh].

Regards
    Nath.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Agree with the others, you want

A dedicated domain server
    A file server
    An exchange server

And thats just the start

Thank Post

Ah ha! My virtual servers don't seem so silly now! :P

DC
    DC
    Exchange
    Sims
    Firewall
    WinINSTALL
    Exambase
    Alice
    File
    AV
    AV
    Webserver
    RADIUS
    ISA
    AB Tutor
    VirtualCenter
    WSUS
    Print

Thank Post

OK, guys. Thanks for the suggestions.

Any tips on how to move Exchange from one server to another easily for someone who knows nothing about Exchange!

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure we have an Exchange CD...

Oh, how I love taking over someone else's pet projects...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Assuming you have a license, you can download an ISO for Exchange from the MS Website or buy a CD for about £20 from (eg) Pugh.

To move it, you install it on a second server - it will become part of the same organisation. Configure it to accept mail and deliver mail.

You then use AD to move the mailboxes (right click on an account, Exchange tasks, move mailbox).

Don't turn off the existing server yet; as users log on and use Outlook, they will connect to the old server. That tells them to move to the new server. Once you're sure that most people have made this move you can uninstall the old server (don't just turn it off otherwise the new server will keep trying to talk to it!)

If you don't have many mailboxes on it then the manual move is OK (and you can multi-select users to do it). If you have loads then you can script it (I have!)

Exchange on a DC is not supported by Microsoft (unless you run SBS when it's a common way to do it!) but won't cause any problems unless you dcpromo the box down from being a DC.

You really want 2 x DCs if you're going to have any hope of easy disaster reovery.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread