+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus AP Ethernet Ports in Technical; he 2 additional ports are fast ethernet only Fast ethernet???? 10/100/1GB/10GB/100GB/1TB ??????? Si...

Thank Post
    he 2 additional ports are fast ethernet only
    Fast ethernet????

10/100/1GB/10GB/100GB/1TB ???????

Si

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Fast ethernet????

10/100/1GB/10GB/100GB/1TB ???????

Si
    Sorry, Fast Ethernet = 100Mbps

Thank Post
    The issue would come that if you daisy chain a Ruckus AP off of a 100Mbps port you will be bottlenecking your potential 300Mbps of throughput to 200Mbps total and only 100Mbps in one direction

300Mbps of throughput being based on the dual radio units using both radios (150Mbps in 2.4GHz and 150Mbps in 5GHz)
    Last edited by DarrenG; 24th March 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    My Ruckus APs have 2 ethernet ports on them - I've always assumed that these formed a switch and that I could connect one port to the wall socket and use the other to connect to a class PC - I'm a right or have I made a bad assumption????

Si
    @SimpleSi I didn't intend to make you panic, I just thought it was odd that an AP had 2 ethernet ports. As per below good to know and double check obviously

Quote Originally Posted by StuartWhite View Post
    Yes you would be correct.

The spare ports are for extending your Ethernet. I see deployments where they are used for mesh and then a switch of the back of the AP. However you can plug whatever, printer, pc etc into a Root AP as well.
    @StuartWhite - Thanks for the update and extra info as per your other post above.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenG View Post
    Sorry, Fast Ethernet = 100Mbps
    Standards wise:
    Ethernet = 10Mbit
    Fast Ethernet = 100mbit
    Gigabit Ethernet = it starts using the numbers in the name

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenG View Post
    The issue would come that if you daisy chain a Ruckus AP off of a 100Mbps port you will be bottlenecking your potential 300Mbps of throughput to 200Mbps total and only 100Mbps in one direction

300Mbps of throughput being based on the dual radio units using both radios (150Mbps in 2.4GHz and 150Mbps in 5GHz)
    So you are basically saying that the port that you connect the AP to the switch with needs to use a gigabit connection and the 2nd ethernet port on the AP that you are using to extend your network or use for a printer or whatever then doesn't matter as you are using a gigabit port for the main connection so the AP would or could then use 300 mbps Wi Fi and still have enough bandwidth etc to pipe the data down without any bottle necks as it is not trying to squeeze 1 gigabit per second down a 100mbps connection even if the ethernet connection is 100 mbps full duplex ???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Standards wise:
    Ethernet = 10Mbit
    Fast Ethernet = 100mbit
    Gigabit Ethernet = it starts using the numbers in the name
    That is technically correct although should they change this as technically gigabit ethernet is also fast, or faster then just fast ethernet ?

Think it is better to just post the speed up with duplex ie half duplex 10 mbps or full duplex 100 mbps ( although not sure if this would work with gigabit ) ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th March 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    That is technically correct although should they change this as technically gigabit ethernet is also fast, or faster then just fast ethernet ?

Think it is better to just post the speed up with duplex ie half duplex 10 mbps or full duplex 100 mbps ( although not sure if this would work with gigabit ) ?
    Yea, the later ones can step down to the earlier ones. If going by mbit then 1GB just equals 1000mbit/s but it gets clumbsy. Besides anything below gigabit is really just limited to low speed monitering gear now, even our printers have GB ethernet. Stuff like UPS monitering cards are fast ethernet but thats pretty much just a fancy microcontroller.

edit: It is nice that the ruckus gear has another port on it for this kind of setup thoughas its a differentiating feature.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 24th March 2012 at 07:40 AM.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (24th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    So you are basically saying that the port that you connect the AP to the switch with needs to use a gigabit connection and the 2nd ethernet port on the AP that you are using to extend your network or use for a printer or whatever then doesn't matter as you are using a gigabit port for the main connection so the AP would or could then use 300 mbps Wi Fi and still have enough bandwidth etc to pipe the data down without any bottle necks as it is not trying to squeeze 1 gigabit per second down a 100mbps connection even if the ethernet connection is 100 mbps full duplex ???
    Well sort of. If you are plugging in a pc or printer or CCTV camera etc then the 100mbps ports should suffice as let's face it, 100mbps is still plenty for one machine in most cases. However if you plug another access point into the 100mbps port then you would be bottlenecking it as it could in theory use up to 300mbps if given a gig port. This would however be a better option than meshing in some situations assuming your data transfer is fairly even each way and you are happy with a 100/50 split of throughput as meshing by nature means you can only max out as 150mbps agregate throughput to your 2.4ghz clients as the 5ghz then becomes backhaul.

I would imagine ruckus only put 100mbps ports in for the 2nd and 3rd ports as they didn't want any wired traffic to be detrimental to the wireless.

Hope that made sense as I'm still half asleep lol. Let me know if you want me to explain myself better :-)
    Last edited by DarrenG; 24th March 2012 at 10:30 AM.

11. Thanks to DarrenG from:

mac_shinobi (24th March 2012)

Thank Post
    That's more then likely the case because if you have a system such as Ruckus to server multiple users / devices at the same time then the wireless needs the bandwidth ie a gigabit connection ( physically connected ) so that each user gets the throughput not just between the users device and the AP but also from the AP through the physical network and out onto the internet and back etc etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12