+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Some fibre questions in Technical; First of all, what fibre do most people have, 62.5 or 50 micron? Because we've got, by the looks of ...

Thank Post

Some fibre questions

First of all, what fibre do most people have, 62.5 or 50 micron?
    Because we've got, by the looks of the cable coming out of the backs of the patch panels, all 62.5, although some cables have no writing on.
    I have to do all this because we've never had a single bit of documentation or test results...

Ive read that 62.5 wont do anything above GB ethernet, so if we ever wanted 10GB to switches we're stuffed?

Secondly, if the fibre is 62.5 and you use 50 patch leads, would it cause speed problems? Pretty much all the ones have 62.5 on them, but some have no writing and we have a few in bags still that are 50

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Some fibre questions

We have 62.5/125 fibre everywhere here. Mixing 62.5 and 50 leads will lead to major problems.

It can handle 10Gbit ethernet, it just depends on how long the runs are - I am reading that the max length for 62.5 is 300m.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

For new installs go for 50 micron - it can potentially allow faster connections (I'm not sure what the limit is).
    We have both 62.5 and 50 micron - this is OK as long as they are not coupled and the patch leads match - so no, you can't use 50 micron patch leads on 62.5 fibre.

Thank Post

I have implemented 10Gbe Campus Networking (Procurve).
    £81,000 last year in a North London Secondary.

OM3 optical fibre systems are the pinnacle of multimode fibre design.
    To utilise the new 10Gbs Ethernet protocols in an optical fibre system requires the use of either a full blown single mode solution or OM3 50/125 multimode cable.

The OM3 system allows for new VCSEL laser based hardware and old legacy LED based hardware to co exist over your system.

For the hard pressed School IT manager an OM3 Optical fibre solution will give a simple migration path through 1Gbs to 10Gbs and have security knowing the system he is installing today will give many years of solid, secure service to his network.

If you are planning to implement 10Gbe transcievers in your switch fabric you MUST SPECIFY OM3 Multimode Fibre or go Single Mode.

If you don't follow these specs you may as well install Spagetti and wait for your link lights to come on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What is the cost difference between OM3 multimode and single mode fibre?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    What is the cost difference between OM3 multimode and single mode fibre?
    OM3 Fibre is about 30% more expensive than OM1

SM Fibre termination is likely to suffer significantly higher failure rates due to the much smaller diameters being handled therefore the average cost per sucessful termination will be higher.

An installer with much practise and a high sucess rate in terminations will make much more profit than an amateur with a high number of discards.
    They won't necessarily reduce their charges just because they are good at terminating.

Result a good Fibre contractor should not need to charge a great deal more for SM installations but they will cost more simply because more terminations per end will be needed to get a good one.

Light Crimp methods of Fibre termination has meant that a monkey can do it after watching the 15 Min Video normally supplied with the crimping kit.
    However it takes hours of practise and some decent test kit to certify that the crimp has worked.
    What you will be paying for is the hours the cabler has spent learning his new skills and for him to recoup the cost of the testgear.

Tip: Never accept a fiber installation without documentation and a certification and warranty. Use a reputable installer. it will cost you more if you don't.

Thank Post

I must point out that my expertise and vast knowledge in this field is not the result of my being an expert fibre engineer!
    I have worked for companies in the past that engaged cowboys to do the fibre provisioning, I then spent months of heartache trying to resolve the networking issues created as a result.
    I learned the hard way, if I can save some of the other geekers my pain I am happy to pass my experience on....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread