+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, unifi problem in Technical; I've just started looking at our new unifi boxes and immediately i've come up against a problem: the controller software ...

Thank Post

unifi problem

I've just started looking at our new unifi boxes and immediately i've come up against a problem: the controller software just doesn't work. i've installed it as per the quick start guide, it says it has started controller version 1.2.3, but if i click the manage aps button, i get a internet explorer cannot display the webpage error. I've had a quick look at some logs and they are full of errors about not being able to find java things. I don't like web apps, because i don't really get webservers and I'm a bit stressed as i have to get 6 of these things physically put up and working with school and guest ssid's by friday. If you want more info i can paste logs or whatever, i just need some help!

Thank Post
    Oaktech

Firslty I recommend dowloading the latest version from the website

Make sure you have java installed to. This isn't a webserver as such just a web interface on a Java app.

3. Thanks to Achandler from:

Oaktech (12th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As its a web app and usually made by OSS enthusiasts you'll probably need Chrome or Firefox (IE9 may work) and Java from java.com installed to make sense of it. Also I think the controller software is up to something like 2.x.x given the video I watched a while back.

I share your hate of web apps that require a huge stack of very specific software to actually use thus defeating the point.

Thank Post
    right, now running version 2.2.5 but with exactly the same result... the discovery app finds the one i've got plugged in on my desk at the moment, but i still get no management page

EDIT i've tried connecting with both chrome and firefox with no luck.

EDIT2 I've got it running as a windows service now as i thought that might help, but still no management pages.
    Last edited by Oaktech; 12th March 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    I assume you are using a Mac.

If not, install both 32bit and 64bit Java depending on your server/ desktop. Install both on a 64bit server/ desktop

Thank Post
    not using a mac at all... windows xp pro 32 bit, i can't install 64bit java!

Thank Post
    I only mentioend both versions because the older controller ran on 32bit but the new one runs on 64bit or 32bit. So if you were ona 64bit computer and installed the older version then you would need to install both versions.

Ok so you install the controller, and then the little "disc" icon appears on the desktop, you run this and the controller inialises, does it get to the point where it has "started"?

Thank Post
    Ok, just done an auto update of java and now nothing works. can't start service from services.msc, can't start service from unifiw.exe...the device discovery doesn't work. FFS!!!!! this stuff should just work!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I only mentioend both versions because the older controller ran on 32bit but the new one runs on 64bit or 32bit. So if you were ona 64bit computer and installed the older version then you would need to install both versions.

Ok so you install the controller, and then the little "disc" icon appears on the desktop, you run this and the controller inialises, does it get to the point where it has "started"?
    It *did* and now it doesn't!

Thank Post
    Uninstall it and start again, don't make it a service till it works. I have seen it working on Windows XP Pro and it installed find straight away.

Once you have reinstalled it and it is started then firstly make sure it is going to the right IP address and port, it should go to https://<YOUR IP>:8443

Make sure that your local ip is an exception to if your using a proxy.

Check the logs, there should be two, a server one and a mongod one.
    Last edited by Achandler; 12th March 2012 at 12:07 PM.

Thank Post
    I've done that several times now and every time it doesn't work, it's like something on the machine is stopping it from working we are an RM cc3 network here. if i install it on a non domain machine it works instantly, looks like i'm going to have to create a standalone controller for it.

Thank Post
    How intriguing, CC3 is stopping the Java App working. Maybe this is to do with where the App is trying to run from, CC3 might be using some form of software restriction to stop programs being run from "unsafe" locations such as the users area, which is where Unifi likes to install itself. Just an idea though.

What do the logs show?

Also just run it on a member server as these shouldnt be locked down to much.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Interesting, at least you've made some progress allthough I do feel that your original "it just doesn't work" analysis was indeed a bit hasty

Ben

Thank Post
    Remember the PC or VM that you choose to host the controller software MUST be running and reachable by L2 in order to provide guest services.
    Now just need to rename thread to RM Problem.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread