View Poll Results: What would you do for wireless?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • Ruckus all the way, the changes are not a concern

19 73.08%
  • Aruba

2 7.69%
  • Xirrus

0 0%
  • Other.. Outlined below

5 19.23%
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus Wireless? in Technical; As with most things everyone will always have their favourite solution for the job, @ SYNACK if you would like ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As with most things everyone will always have their favourite solution for the job, @SYNACK if you would like to loan some evaluation equipment to put the Ruckus solution through its paces send me a PM and we will look to facilitate this for you. This will provide you a first hand view of what Ruckus can do:

In answer to your point "I don't want to be stuck with a 2 year old controller and no updates"

Ruckus kit that is supported will generally receive two major updates each year with bug fixes, any EOL kit by law has to have bug fixes for five years after EOL notification. Any kit purchased from now on will not be EOL for many years to come. Hope that answers that for you.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask
    Last edited by Net-Ctrl; 16th March 2012 at 05:21 PM.

2. Thanks to Net-Ctrl from:

SYNACK (19th March 2012)

Thank Post
    We have ruckus, it works really well. Haven't had many problems (and none recently). Can't really comment about the changes mentioned in the first post, but I can't say I'm worried about them either.

I was impressed recently with the meshing. We had a partial power cut a month ago. We ended up with a chain of 5 aps across the site. It was quite a slow link, but it worked and kept a fair few people working - the ones that still had power at least.

You should demo the equipment and have a look first hand. Maybe even find a school locally who is using one of the different systems and see it in action.

4. Thanks to Chris_Cook from:

SYNACK (19th March 2012)

Thank Post
    The issue with Ruckus is that they've even admitted themselves that they're focussing on the carrier market, not enterprise wifi.

My concern would be whether or not they will continue to develop the features of the network once you've purchased it?

Thank Post
    I beg to differ.

I was at the Ruckus partner conference a few weeks back and they are focusing heavily on both markets. Ruckus happen to fit very well into the carrier grade wifi market thanks to the way they handle the physical layer and improve signal quality and throughput. Trying to sqeeze every Mbps in 802.11 is a big deal now mobile devices are everywhere. Mediocre WiFi is no longer acceptable.

The technology they focus and built for carrier grade wifi is seen in all of their enterprise solutions, and they do not see the enterprise as a second best market. How can they when the margins are bigger for them in the enterprise.

Rest assured people, Ruckus will continue to deliver outstanding wifi solutions for both carrier and enterprise markets.

Stuart

Thank Post
    Oh OK, I'm really only going on what I've read.

This is the article that started my thinking: Interview: Selina Lo, CEO of Ruckus Wireless - TechDay

Particularly with regard to:
    ''TD: That’s obviously why you’ve chosen to remain a niche company rather than go into other areas.

SL: Yes. If we were to stay in the enterprise wi-fi business, we would have to do a lot more things like firewalls – basically, we would have to copy what Cisco and Aruba are doing. Then we’d also have to compete with them head-on in terms of the size of the sales force and so on. I just didn’t think that strategy would pay off that well. However, the mid-tier enterprise had really taken to our technology, so I didn’t want to abandon it either. So we decided, let’s stick with the mid-tier enterprise and focus on the technology that mattered to them – which is how robust the RF technology is – and then let’s look at other markets where that technology really is necessary, and be the first one there. That was carrier wi-fi.''

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd have to agree with Stuart, for example in terms of additional features the 9.3 firmware release, take a look at the attached release notes:Whats New in ZoneFlex Software Release 9.3.pdf. The 9.4 firmware release will include such features as Client Fingerprinting, Dynamic per user Rate limiting, Wireless intrusion protection, to name but a few, for the full details see the below video;

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/asset/watch/404

As Stuart points out there is constant developments on the firmware, personally I've found Ruckus to be far more accepting and proactive on taking customer requests for features and implementing them than any other vendor; very much of the Kaizen philosophy.

Mark

WiSE Guy

9. Thanks to CPLTD from:

stevenlong1985 (29th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Mark, agreed.

Features are coming thick and fast in the releases now.. They focused on the Wi-Fi first. Something I believe vendors seem to forget these days, "your a wireless vendor. Make my Wi-Fi better, i don't need all these FW rules, I have have a firewall"

Ruckus are not focusing on the Enterprise market like Cisco etc by offering unnecessary security and additions hardware appliances for a well working Wi-Fi solution... firewalls etc... They are focusing were a Wireless vendor should..you guess it. The Wi-Fi

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12