+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless Access Point Details in Technical; Got a slight problem, have a laptop trolley with 14 laptops connecting to a Belkin Wireless access point on the ...
    Thank Post

Wireless Access Point Details

Got a slight problem, have a laptop trolley with 14 laptops connecting to a Belkin Wireless access point on the trolley. These work fine and connect to the internet and network via the wireless point. However we had one of the laptops repaired and now it won't connect to the access point to get an IP from the server. It sees the point with good signal strength, I have set the security wep etc to the same as the other laptops but it fails to get an IP. It will however connect to other access points we have with no problem (I set those up so I know all the details and they have static IP's so I can get to the admin pages to change anything.

The Laptop trolley access point was set up by another company and I have no other details apart from the SSID and as far as I am aware it get its IP via DHCP. Tried to look at its admin page but don't know its IP to connect to it. Have done an IP scan of the network and it does not appear anywhere, (all the ones I set up do).

Anyone have any ideas how I can find out its IP so I can get to the admin pages of the point? It may be that I need to reconfigure the point but I want that as a last resort, as I say if it works, leave well alone.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Re: Wireless Access Point Details

Was it the same laptop that came back or just the hard drive in a new chassis maybe?

If it is then it could be that this access point is set up with mac filtering for the laptops that were in the trolley and now that the laptop has a different nic in it and therefore mac address the acess point will ignore it.

One option would be factory reset the access point that way you will have access to it and can set the ip address to whatever you want then you can set up the security etc... to match and it will work.

Ben

Thank Post

The laptop just had its motherboard changed. Resetting the AP is my last option and would like to get into the admin pages first to check for Mac filtering etc. Just can't at the moment as I don't seem to be able to get its IP for some reason.

Thank Post

Use an ip address scanner such as angry IP scanner... My guess would be that its most likely on a differnt range from yours.. Try the 192.168.0.1-192.168.10.254 range, i dont think it would be any higher then that.

otherwise scan your network and compare MAC addresses, put the MAC address coloumb in your search, export the results to excel and then sort it...
    the AP should have a MAC address sticker on it somewhere!

Thank Post

Use an ip address scanner such as angry IP scanner... My guess would be that its most likely on a differnt range from yours.. Try the 192.168.0.1-192.168.10.254 range, i dont think it would be any higher then that.

otherwise scan your network and compare MAC addresses, put the MAC address coloumb in your search, export the results to excel and then sort it...
    the AP should have a MAC address sticker on it somewhere!

Thank Post

Using the mac address of the Access Point you should be able to find out the ip using arp.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

If it had it's motherboard changed then that would have included integrated nic therefore the laptop now has a new mac address.

The ip of the wap must be on a range that is accessible but if it isn't have a look and find out whatever is the default ip address of it and connect to it using a laptop plugged directly into it.

Otherwise have a look at one of the other laptops that can connect to it and see if the dhcp server and ip address is different from what you expect it to be.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by apeo
    Using the mac address of the Access Point you should be able to find out the ip using arp.
    Thanks, next time I'm in that school I'll have a try with that as I can get the mac address from the label.

I did try the angryIP scanner and thats how I found I could account for all the IPs listed as live. Any other IP's were listed as dead which is why I have the problem looking at the web admin page via its IP.

May have to try the suggestion of linking it locally with a 192 address but did'nt get much chance as the trolley was in use at the time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thank Post

as far as I am aware it get its IP via DHCP
    Look in DHCP then? Haven't got the very latest list but Belkin MACs start with 00-11-50, 00-17-3F and possibly 00-30-BD.

If that or scanning the low bit of 192.168. doesn't work (I've seen a Belkin with a default 192.168.2 address) you could try connecting a laptop to it with an x-over cable, running something like Network Monitor 3.0 and then turning the AP on - it *might* spit out a packet or two revealing the IP address.

Thank Post

If you don't know the login details, it might also be worth resetting the AP to factory defaults and re-configuring it so that you can avoid the problem in the future.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread