+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, VoIP Solution? in Technical; Hi there Now that our school has complete campus-wide wireless coverage, I want to propose to my managers a VoIP ...
    Thank Post

VoIP Solution?

Hi there

Now that our school has complete campus-wide wireless coverage, I want to propose to my managers a VoIP solution to take full advantage of wireless capabilities.

A phone in every room possibly USB'd to all the computers, which responds to the teacher timetable, so if teacher A was in room 1 and teacher B was in room 2, but next lesson teacher A was in room 2, when you phoned teacher A it would ring room 2.

Im not sure if such a solution exists, as I have never had any experience with VoIP at all.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: VoIP Solution?

This can be done with Asterisk I believe- with a bit of custom playing, using the follow-me feature and the time of day feature. I've not tried it, but it should work. I would suggest signing up to some asterisk mailing lists/forums and asking about it. Also, set up a test system and have a play.

The only issue would be that the system would have to be manually configured.

Also, I would advise against USB phones as they are in effect not much more than a softphone, so the quality won't be too great - go for some standard voip units instead, you can pick up basic ones for £30 each or less now. (Or £60 if you want one with a built in switch).

Thank Post

i believer we are going doing the Cisco route. Ive just had a word with the guys that are going to carrying out the testing of the new equipment and they chose the cisco product because it was miles ahead of the others which were reviewed...

From what i believe Cisco werent the most expensive vendor either, which make a change!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts

I would have thought if the teachers are assigned an extension number and passcode then they can "log on" any wired voip with their extension details so when they move rooms they log off the phone and log in to the next one.

Or if you have a wireless network give them a wireless sip phone such as:

http://www.mobiboo.com/t1000_HomeFone_Plus.htm

For £60 each then they have their extension in their pocket.

Depending on what your current pbx is you may be able to hook into to allow existing legacy wired phones to call voip extensions or you may be able to replace it completely with an asterisk box.

Ben

Thank Post

At my primary school (no cash), I set up Skype accounts and we bought some £10 USB phones. I set up the accounts based upon the class number rather than the teacher's name, but in primary schools, teachers don't move about in the same way I suppose. I kept the school name off the accounts to avoid dialling in by parents and others.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nij.UK
    i believer we are going doing the Cisco route. Ive just had a word with the guys that are going to carrying out the testing of the new equipment and they chose the cisco product because it was miles ahead of the others which were reviewed...

From what i believe Cisco werent the most expensive vendor either, which make a change!
    We had quotes done for Cisco, Alcatel, Zultys, and doing it ourselves with Asterisk.

The prices were: £49k, £25k/£49k (2 different companies), £39k and £6.2k.

So, whoever told you Cisco aren't the most expensive is telling fibs :P

Thank Post

lol.... im not on the project for VoIP i was talking to them about it....

I will go back to them and see what they have to say!

Thank Post

Cisco is probably not the cheapest solution. Especially when you put it up against asterisk or skype.

At the end of the day its down to what you need to do, responsibility and budget. Remeber if you are DIY'ing a phone system if it goes down who is everyone going to come running to?

Samson - on the Cisco front what you are looking to do is mobility. each teacher has a login and can login to any phone and it becomes their own extension (own speed dials etc)

With Cisco you can also give people an extension who do not have a fixed phone, so every teacher can have an extension, voicemail box etc.

You may also be interested in the softphones on laptops. As localzuk says, the USB phones don't offer much benefit and are another thing to carry around (or not as the case may be)

Cheers, Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_ONI
    At the end of the day its down to what you need to do, responsibility and budget. Remeber if you are DIY'ing a phone system if it goes down who is everyone going to come running to?
    Indeed, they would be running to you. The price I gave above includes 3 servers. One which will be primary, one as a 'fall back' (automatic fallback) and the third (manual fallback) for if they both die. The entire system should be designed to get things running as quick as possible, with the least amount of work.

The rules with production systems apply here as much as, if not more than, anywhere else. Don't make massive changes to your running system without testing and everything will run smoothly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries

For windows you could use 3CX http://www.3cx.com, if you are not well up on Linux and installing asterisk try Asterisk now http://www.asterisknow.org/

Thank Post

before the summer break a lightening strike hit a sub station near our school and sent a power surge through our buildings burning out out old (5 years) exchange and causing a load more damage which we're still managing. As replacement parts for this exchange were no longer available and a new switchboard install would cost as much as a cisco voip solution, we went with the latter. with the cisco phones you just key in your user number and pin code and so any calls are directed to the phone you're sitting at. not quite as sophisticated as working to a timetable, but would be a workround if a certain room was not available due to exams, and lessons had to be moved somewhere else.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cisco IP phones are very good, infact there excellent. When i was at the CLC we used the same system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Most PBX's allow you to move extns around, you sign out and in the handsets like you said for the Cisco and voilla, most old wired ones far prefer you to live on the right extn as it takes up extra lines as it sort of diverts via other channels or something but its possible on a lot of them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread