+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Unifi - Vlans in Technical; Has anyone setup Vlans on their unifi wireless? I've followed all sorts of guides and got no where. Tried on ...

Thank Post

Unifi - Vlans

Has anyone setup Vlans on their unifi wireless? I've followed all sorts of guides and got no where. Tried on HP and Cisco, Has anyone managed to set this up?

Thank Post
    We have two SSIDs on our Unifi points, one on the Default VLAN and a second on VLAN (example). The setup on the points/ controller should be as simple as that. You then need to make sure your setup the VLANs on the switches correctly, we use Netgear and D-Link switches here and 1 HP switch (old one) and it all works fine. I guess your ports on your switches are the problem.

Ona Netgear switch they are Tagged on in you second VLAN and then untagged on the Default VLAN.

3. Thanks to Achandler from:

strawberry (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    yup, Thats pretty much what i've been trying. Could you sanity check some things for me? Assuming I have a data vlan which should be default and an admin vlan

1. Controller doesn't need to be on all vlans, just the data vlan
    2. Does the port need to be trunked or just access with the admin vlan tagged and data untagged?

Thank Post
    I've got this going with 3 VLANs on HP procurve kit.
    What version of Unifi Server are you running?

Thank Post
    I did a a pretty diagram for itgeek yesterday that I can email later if needed, I might need to tweak it slightly.

Basically your APs need to to be on switch ports that are untagged on the Default VLAN and Tagged on the second VLAN.

All your uplinks need also ofcourse need to be untagged on default and tagged on the second VLAN.

Your controller just need to be on the default VLAN, and the traffic on the second VLAN does ofcourse need an outlet, maybe a server providing DNS and DHCP (personally we use our Smoothwall box).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I did a a pretty diagram for itgeek yesterday that I can email later if needed, I might need to tweak it slightly.

Basically your APs need to to be on switch ports that are untagged on the Default VLAN and Tagged on the second VLAN.

All your uplinks need also ofcourse need to be untagged on default and tagged on the second VLAN.

Your controller just need to be on the default VLAN, and the traffic on the second VLAN does ofcourse need an outlet, maybe a server providing DNS and DHCP (personally we use our Smoothwall box).
    That would be great, thank you

I think i may have found the issue, all of our vlans are tagged on the uplinks!

Thank Post
    Im assuming your doing this on a test switch, as you don't want to break a in use uplink. Though this would be pot calling the kettle black as when I setup mine I used our library for trial an error!

Shoreham has HP switchs with Unifi though, so he can probably elaborate on how his VLANs are setup on them, personally I have done it on Netgear and D-Link

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Im assuming your doing this on a test switch, as you don't want to break a in use uplink. Though this would be pot calling the kettle black as when I setup mine I used our library for trial an error!

Shoreham has HP switchs with Unifi though, so he can probably elaborate on how his VLANs are setup on them, personally I have done it on Netgear and D-Link
    Happy to if that would help?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShorehamGeek View Post
    Happy to if that would help?
    Would be a tremendous help!. I'm using the most recent version of the controller.

Sat in our meeting room on our live switch with all of smt connected....

Thank Post
    OK - Switches first.
    Switch that AP is plugged into you would have 2 VLANs configured.
    ID1 - Default - all ports untagged
    ID2 - Wireless - tagged on the port that the AP is plugged into and any port that is connected to the switch connected to the wireless default gateway.

If there is another switch between the switch above, and the default gateway, that needs to have both VLANs setup, with the same ID numbers as the switch above, and the port that connects to the switch above needs to be tagged on VLAN ID 2.

On your unifi controller, the default SSID does not have a tick in the VLAN box, but the other SSID must have a tick in the VLAN box and the ID number of the VLAN you're routing it over (which would have to be "2" in the example above).

Thank Post
    OK - Switches first.
    ID2 - Wireless - tagged on the port that the AP is plugged into and any port that is connected to the switch connected to the wireless default gateway.

If there is another switch between the switch above, and the default gateway, that needs to have both VLANs setup, with the same ID numbers as the switch above, and the port that connects to the switch above needs to be tagged on VLAN ID 2.

On your unifi controller, the default SSID does not have a tick in the VLAN box, but the other SSID must have a tick in the VLAN box and the ID number of the VLAN you're routing it over (which would have to be "2" in the example above).
    Just a thought - the port of the switch that is plugged into the device being used as the Wireless default gateway, should be untagged on the Wireless VLAN (ID 2 in above example).

13. Thanks to ShorehamGeek from:

strawberry (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    If the above has descended into gibberish PM me for a chat.

Thank Post
    OK - Switches first.

Cool, I'm not far off then, only difference I have between your setup and mine is that I have the uplinks between the switches tagged for ID1. Would that be enough to break it?

Thank Post
    Yes for Netgears

Thank Post
    Yes for HP too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast