+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless conect to network before log on. in Technical; Hopefully this is a simple one for people. We have just installed some Netgear wireless AP around school. We have ...

Thank Post

Wireless conect to network before log on.

Hopefully this is a simple one for people.

We have just installed some Netgear wireless AP around school. We have got 40 netgear N300 Wireless usb adapters.

Just to make things worse we have a mix of windows 7 and xp computers. And run a Ranger network.

The problem is how do I get the computer with the dongle in to connect to the network?

I cant log on to the computer as it has no network connection.

I have moved the computer win7 so i could plug it in to a patch cable then use the software to find the wireless network and connect. I even set it to connect before log on which worked. Moved it to the place where it should be turned it on and it worked.. the user logged on ok then all the icons disappeared due to it losing the connection ( which will be a problem) refreshing the desktop brought the icons back.
    Next day the computer would not connect looked like the dongle was not connecting at start up?

Any ideas on how to solve this.

TIA

Thank Post
    I'm not personally familiar with the N300 dongles but are they managed via their own software or just through Windows networking? If there is a way in the software to set the device to be managed by Windows then all you should have to do is enter the SSID info, along with the WPA/WEP key and that should be it. They should connect on boot.

It might be worth seeing if you can just install the driver for the device without any management software. I always find them awkward

3. Thanks to themightymrp from:

MattDLEA (18th January 2012)

Thank Post
    If there is a way in the software to set the device to be managed by Windows then all you should have to do is enter the SSID info, along with the WPA/WEP key and that should be it. They should connect on boot.
    I have set this and it works for possibly a day.
    Then the next time im in school we have the same problem No connection. Its like its forgetting it.

We run Ranger but that should kick in after log in not when the computer is turned on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    I have set this and it works for possibly a day.
    Then the next time im in school we have the same problem No connection. Its like its forgetting it.

We run Ranger but that should kick in after log in not when the computer is turned on.
    We have the same on our CC3 network, it seems that the network driver doesn't initialise properly before the log in and that we need to log into the laptops with a local admin account and reconnect to the SSID /WPA key.

Thank Post
    Cheers Andy,

How did you fix this? Im sure I have set it in the local admin account

Thank Post
    Hi Matt, apart from updating the LAN drivers we have never really solved the issue completely. You can minimize the issue by controlling the number of users which try to log in at once. I try and recommend 8 at a time. But every so often the techs need to go back down and reconnect them.

Thank Post
    Oh no
    This is only with one dongle on one computer at the minute. we have not deployed these school wide yet :0

Thank Post
    Never used a ranger network so i dont know where the settings would be for this, but you're after this...

Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Jim Boyce - Windows Tips

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread