+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Apple TV not working with Meru in Technical; Dear all, I wonder if you can help me. My DP would like to use Ipads instead of PCs in ...

Thank Post

Apple TV not working with Meru

Dear all,

I wonder if you can help me. My DP would like to use Ipads instead of PCs in the classroom and would also like to hook up the Ipad and IWB via Apple TV. However we cannot get it to work on our wireless, we simply cannot get any connection at all.

Does anyone know where we are going wrong?

Many thanks

Paul

Thank Post
    Will need more information than what you have given.

Is it managed wireless? Have MAC authentication? Type of security etc are examples of information needed really otherwise its a bit of a needle in a haystack with information you've provided.
    Does it work if you connect with network cable? Do you connect if you specify a static IP.

If you cant connect via wireless - personally I would attempt via a cable in the first instance then at least you have an idea if its network based or wireless based issue.

Thank Post
    We have tried the Apple TV with an ethernet cable and unfortunately no luck. We use WPA 2 / psk and there is no Mac authentication enabled. We have also tried connecting with a static IP but have had no luck.

Many thanks

Paul

Thank Post
    I've never used an AppleTV but could it be a proxy issue? Apple TV: Connections through proxy servers are not supported

Thank Post
    That is probably it IrritableTech, thank you. I have two seperate SSIDs, one that goes through the Proxy and one that runs through a TMG. Do you think the Apple TV will work through the TMG?

Thank Post
    The proxy issue should only come into play if you are trying to access the internet. If you are trying to share info between ipad and apple TV it should work. Are you able to connect the ipad to the wireless network? If not is your Meru firmware up to date? I know Aerohive released a patch about 6 months ago to sort out issues with i-devices, so Meru may be experiencing similar issues.

Thank Post
    You also need broadcasting across both (all three?) parts of the network for AppleTV to register on iPads.. we had to turn off broadcasting across the wireless segment of our network just prior to Christmas to troubleshoot a wireless performance issue, and it wiped AppleTV out completely, unless the AppleTV was connected via network cable, AND the machine running iTunes was also wired.. nothing wireless could see it.

Thank Post
    We are trying to get what is displayed on the Ipad, to display on the IWB via Apple TV. Broadcasting is switched on, haven't considered looking for a firmware upgrade however.

Thank Post
    I believe you have to be on on iOS 5.0.1 as well?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    what release are you running? There was an update (4.0-158) to Meru a week or so ago that resolves some apple connectivity issues.

I'd be quite suprised if Meru and ATV worked together in a default configuration. Some apple stuff does multicast. Some apple stuff does IPv6. Most Apple stuff does bonjour. By default I think Meru has all of these 'switched off'. Have you given Meru Support a call? (and posting back a solution here is always welcome!)

If you feeling like a deep-dive into troubleshooting, and want to get escalated to Meru's very clever people quickly then you need to get some packet captures of it working for Meru to compare.

I'd configure the ATV to use wired ethernet only and connect it to a managed switch.
    Connect up a home Broadband router or Airport to the same VLAN
    I'd then mirror that switch port to a machine running netmon or wireshark.
    Connect your iPad to the home broadband router's wireless network, use it as you intend and then see what you could make out from the packet capture.

Repeat this but move the iPad onto the Meru network (leaving the ATV on wired interface)
    You can packet capture on a Meru controller I believe. Otherwise capture the ATV port.

Compare and contrast.

Pass your findings to Meru and see what they say. Let us know.
    Last edited by psydii; 14th January 2012 at 07:32 AM.

11. Thanks to psydii from:

kenrick (14th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thank you for all your responses, got a few things now I can test. Will let you know how i get on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the late reply (BETT can be such a pain at times). ESSA Academy in Bolton have lot's of Apple TV's and clients are connected via a Meru wireless infrastructure. It does work (and very well too) because I've seen it with my own eyes, so it's not impossible. Either try giving Meru's UK spport a bell or asking the academy if you can have a word wth their IT guys if any of the suggestions above don't work out for you.

Thank Post
    I believe it is the Essa Academy that the DP is getting his inspiration from, good to hear it does work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenrick View Post
    We have tried the Apple TV with an ethernet cable and unfortunately no luck. We use WPA 2 / psk and there is no Mac authentication enabled. We have also tried connecting with a static IP but have had no luck.

Many thanks

Paul
    If it doesn't work with a physical connection you need to solve that first before thinking about wireless.

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi ,

For info I have got this working basically Airplay needs bonjour working on the network. To get bonjour working mulitcasting needs to be enabled. Please see my blog post at iPad Pilot Blog | A blog from The Mountbatten School about our iPad Pilot for more details.

17. Thanks to chrisgoodrich from:

psydii (30th April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast