+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, UniFi Wireless in Technical; Hi I'm starting to toy with the idea of UniFi for our school..... currently using unmanaged wireless, and cannot afford ...

Thank Post

UniFi Wireless

Hi

I'm starting to toy with the idea of UniFi for our school..... currently using unmanaged wireless, and cannot afford the likes of Ruckus, Meru, Aruba etc.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences of UniFi - particularly does anyone know if they support guest access, VLAN'ing, NAT etc? If we go down this route it'll likely lead to students using their own devices.

Can anyone recomend a supplier if we decide to get some test kit?

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    http://ubnt.com/downloads/guides/UniFi/UniFi_AP_QSG.pdf

Great kit and cheap got ours from here Landashop, the Landatel's online shop I helped set these up for apartments in Tenerife

Thank Post
    use them, cheap, great looking, functional. Best thing to do is splash £150 for 3 and give them a test. You can download the software and have a fiddle for free.

Thank Post
    PM sent, I have been installing Unifi for the last Year and have stopped using everything else as nothing matches it for the price.

No point into turning this into another mines better than yours thread, not everyone needs wirespeed campus wide seamless roaming for £30k an install.
    It does everything it needs to do at a price that wont make your eyes bleed when a new version of 802.11 is released...

5. Thanks to m25man from:

Cruiser_Scotland (3rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    PM sent, I have been installing Unifi for the last Year and have stopped using everything else as nothing matches it for the price.

No point into turning this into another mines better than yours thread, not everyone needs wirespeed campus wide seamless roaming for £30k an install.
    It does everything it needs to do at a price that wont make your eyes bleed when a new version of 802.11 is released...
    Can I ask one thing about them can you now turn off the ring light?

Thank Post
    Yes, in V2.x you will find it under settings, system, LED Enable/Disable

8. Thanks to m25man from:

markcuk (3rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    Im sorry but the ring light is the best part, nothing like walking down a dark corridor with UFO shapes glowing above your head!

Yes we use them and they are perfect for what we need as a secondary school.

10. Thanks to Achandler from:

plexer (5th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Beam Forming, Gigabit backhaul, Blanket Coverage, Seamless Roaming, High Capacity all great features but all most of us want is something that works that will not consume the entire IT budget for the next 5 years.

With 802.11ac and Gigabit Wifi expected to be mainstream in less than 3 years investing £30k in a system that nobody will thank you for is a mindless ego trip.

I have said it before here and will say it again the only stupid thing you can't afford to do with Unifi is not to try it!!

Thank Post
    The Inifi kit looks really good, a quick question. Does the AP handle all the traffic onto the local LAN or does it all get routed back to the controller, also if the controller is down for whatever reason, will the AP continue to handle traffic?

Cheers,
    Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    The traffic stays at the ap, the controller configures, monitors and maintains the ap.

If the controller goes down your ap keeps working but some services like guest access won't.

Ben

14. Thanks to plexer from:

RobFuller (16th January 2012)

Thank Post
    I have been looking a various wireless solutions; Unifi looks interesting from a low cost point of view, but is it too inexpensive?

How is it performing in your environments?

Thank Post
    Thanks plexer,
    I did look at some of the guest features, but to be honest if I want guest/sixth form/staff access ill probably set it up using windows radius then they can just use their normal AD credentials.

I take it you have an implantation yourself, how do you find it, performance good, reliable etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Hi no I don't have it deployed atm allthough it's an option I've put on the table for a primary.

Ben

Thank Post
    We have an implementation of 35 access points here, and an average of 300 devices on the Wifi (Staff and Guest), mostly ipod/ ipads and phones, so mainly web browsing and checking emails, but also laptops (on the network using AD credentials).

I personally have found the system good, it does everything we need it to and some extra that we don't use., we have only once had a problem with the Wifi since we introduced it but restarting the controller software solved this, i must also add the system has vastly improved over the time we have had it.

Initially the controller had to be run from a user account, now it can be run as a system service which shows active development and in the right directly. They are also planning new types of points.

I do have two minor complaints about it though, although these are being addressed. Firstly the APs do not work with PoE switches unless you buy adapaters for them which add a cost of about £20 per AP should you want to use one. Secondly, if you don't use a PoE switch but instead use the inline PoE adapters provided, they come with European plugs, which is an annoyance.

19. 2 Thanks to Achandler:

drewp (17th January 2012), RobFuller (16th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I do have two minor complaints about it though, although these are being addressed. Firstly the APs do not work with PoE switches unless you buy adapaters for them which add a cost of about £20 per AP should you want to use one. Secondly, if you don't use a PoE switch but instead use the inline PoE adapters provided, they come with European plugs, which is an annoyance.
    We are now shipping these with .5m UK 13a to C5 mains leads included.
    There has been a problem with AF adapters if supplied with more than 48v for too long (some HP switches kick out up to 58v) they can overheat and shut down, I'm expecting the uprated AF to 24v inline PoE adapters next week.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast