+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Wireless Networks Thread, UniFi Wireless in Technical; Thanks for the link. Trying now, as usual linux does not want to play as it should. Stuck now on ...
    Thank Post
    Thanks for the link.
    Trying now, as usual linux does not want to play as it should. Stuck now on GPG key

Thank Post
    Great got it working.

really tempted to make it guess access and charge kids

3. Thanks to kcymer from:

Oaktech (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcymer View Post
    Great got it working.

really tempted to make it guess access and charge kids
    It's a side project for us, to make a guest wireless network with a pay portal, for our commercial venue hire.

Thank Post
    The whole Hotspot Control/Payment thingy is very much a marmite solution as its been tacked onto the controller software and that means in order to work your clients need to see the controller itself which may not be the desired or ideal solution depending on how you deployed the controller PC/Server.

Ideally the Controller will need to be located on a segment reachable from all VLANs such as a DMZ or even Cloudbased at S3
    The Unifi community is full of people that have made it work for them with customised landing pages and AUP's

The reason these things are so cheap is that you do need to be fairly tech savvy to set it all up and prepared to do some of your own bookwork, if you can do those things you can probably save your self £10k or more.
    If you cant/wont/too lazy to do any of these things, then buy an expensive solution and get somebody else to do it for you, but as most users have found the best bit is working it all out for yourself and having the satisfaction that you saved a bucket load of cash.
    I love my Unifi.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post

The reason these things are so cheap is that you do need to be fairly tech savvy to set it all up and prepared to do some of your own bookwork, if you can do those things you can probably save your self £10k or more.
    I've configured several other wireless manufacturers over the years, and yes, while this does take a bit of faffing, it also gives more control, but as soon as you start to 'Think Unifi' I feel that everything becomes really quite intuitive!

Wes
    Thank Post
    Sure there's a place for Unifi, and many schools will get exactly what they need from the system and never have any troubles at all. There's a lot of rhetoric going around - 'it's good 'cos it's cheap - don't get suckered into features you don't need' (I'm not accusing anyone other than Ubiquiti's marketing dept. of this btw). There's no conspiracy between other WiFi vendors to overcharge schools or anyone else for that matter. There was never a cartel meeting where the price of WiFi was set, Unifi isn't threatening the Magic Circle by giving away the trick. It's cheap because it does less (less may well be enough for a lot of cases). The £50 WAPs are not intelligent, they have a single 2.4GHz radio and they don't have a firewall. Ubiquiti have recently released the pro version WAP, which added a 5GHz radio and I believe the price is now £180 per unit, plus you'll need the injector at £20 - so £200 per unit all in. Simply adding a 5GHz radio has increased the price 4 fold, imagine what the price would be if they added a firewall, some band steering and load balancing as well as proper roaming. Suddenly a £300 enterprise grade WAP doesn't look so bad, in fact it looks darn cheap. The enterprise vendors have features which are designed to make use of 5Ghz (where you have 19 non overlapping instead of the 3 offered in 2.4Ghz) by encouraging the clients that can into that band (most clients will just pick up on 2.4GHz and ignore 5, even if both are present). There's no Bluetooth, microwave etc in 5Ghz so there's cleaner air and clients and WAPS spend less time waiting for clean air in order to send data, which improves performance for everyone. You can also bond channels in 5GHz up to 450Mbps data rates. If you've got 450Mbps wireless, I think you have a solution that will last 5 years at least - I don't see a lot of desktop users on wired access at more than 100Mbps, and Gigabit Ethernet has been cheap for years. Unifi only offers 5Ghz at £200 per AP, so at best two thirds of the price of your enterprise solution, not the dramatic figures being marketed. I would say if you want to buy the £50 UAPs and have 100Mbps (it only has a 10/100 Ethernet port so let's not kid ourselves it'll run at 300Mbps like the marketing says) 2.4GHz WiFi, expect to rip it out in 2 years or less, so why not buy UniFi (aside from the hassle of finding somewhere to plug in those tens of PoE injectors and re-cabling again in 2 years time) but the with Pro version WAP the price no longer makes taking the huge hit on features worthwhile, in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Can I just put my +1 for Dlink kit if you can't afford a managed system. The 3200AP I have are 5 years old and of no issue they are plenum rated so you can put them IN the celing and the bracket they come with can be padlocked. They supply software to discover and clone settings to all of them. The 3200 is a G standard but with a little more cash you can even get dual and quad channel ones. a 3200 will set you back £114inc VAT are directly POE compatible, support multiple SSId with VLANs and 802.1x authentication. Also they don't need a central PC to stay working.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Sure there's a place for Unifi, and many schools will get exactly what they need from the system and never have any troubles at all. There's a lot of rhetoric going around - 'it's good 'cos it's cheap - don't get suckered into features you don't need' (I'm not accusing anyone other than Ubiquiti's marketing dept. of this btw). There's no conspiracy between other WiFi vendors to overcharge schools or anyone else for that matter. There was never a cartel meeting where the price of WiFi was set, Unifi isn't threatening the Magic Circle by giving away the trick. It's cheap because it does less (less may well be enough for a lot of cases). The £50 WAPs are not intelligent, they have a single 2.4GHz radio and they don't have a firewall. Ubiquiti have recently released the pro version WAP, which added a 5GHz radio and I believe the price is now £180 per unit, plus you'll need the injector at £20 - so £200 per unit all in. Simply adding a 5GHz radio has increased the price 4 fold, imagine what the price would be if they added a firewall, some band steering and load balancing as well as proper roaming. Suddenly a £300 enterprise grade WAP doesn't look so bad, in fact it looks darn cheap. The enterprise vendors have features which are designed to make use of 5Ghz (where you have 19 non overlapping instead of the 3 offered in 2.4Ghz) by encouraging the clients that can into that band (most clients will just pick up on 2.4GHz and ignore 5, even if both are present). There's no Bluetooth, microwave etc in 5Ghz so there's cleaner air and clients and WAPS spend less time waiting for clean air in order to send data, which improves performance for everyone. You can also bond channels in 5GHz up to 450Mbps data rates. If you've got 450Mbps wireless, I think you have a solution that will last 5 years at least - I don't see a lot of desktop users on wired access at more than 100Mbps, and Gigabit Ethernet has been cheap for years. Unifi only offers 5Ghz at £200 per AP, so at best two thirds of the price of your enterprise solution, not the dramatic figures being marketed. I would say if you want to buy the £50 UAPs and have 100Mbps (it only has a 10/100 Ethernet port so let's not kid ourselves it'll run at 300Mbps like the marketing says) 2.4GHz WiFi, expect to rip it out in 2 years or less, so why not buy UniFi (aside from the hassle of finding somewhere to plug in those tens of PoE injectors and re-cabling again in 2 years time) but the with Pro version WAP the price no longer makes taking the huge hit on features worthwhile, in my opinion.
    The UniFi PRO is 48v POE compatible 802.11af , so no need for an injector
    Last edited by MrWu; 20th July 2012 at 11:56 AM.

10. Thanks to MrWu from:

Oaktech (17th August 2012)

Wes
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWu View Post
    The UniFi PRO is 48v POE compatible 802.11af , so no need for an injector
    £20 saved!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I'm not going to agree with you in this instance, The Unifi does exactly what we need at the moment, for a price i can get the purse strings to put out for. But I would like to thankyou for a considered argument not a rabid meru/aruba/ruckus fanboi dissing.

13. Thanks to Oaktech from:

SimpleSi (17th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    I'm not going to agree with you in this instance, The Unifi does exactly what we need at the moment, for a price i can get the purse strings to put out for. But I would like to thankyou for a considered argument not a rabid meru/aruba/ruckus fanboi dissing.
    I have to agree with everything he is saying, he does not appear to be disapproving of your usage as he does state that it can be a workable solutions for some schools. All of his points are entirely valid though.

Saying that, I have spec'ed Aruba and Ruckus at bigger schools but I am looking at the 'Pro' Unfi APs for a really small school. I can see them working really well there but if the wireless keeps going the way it is at the larger schools the UnFi gear would collapse under its own weight or just be massively inefficient without a stack of manual managment. For that I went to the Ruckus/Aruba stuff that can do it all automaticly and autoheal instead of the stuff that needs a bit more handholding for optimal operation. I would not even consider the non 'Pro' stuff as is excludes the 5GHz band and tries to stuff everything down a 10/100 link, really, what is this 1997? The 'Pro' ones are much better as the include the 5GHz radio with the much less contested RF space and a GBit interface.

Again UnFi should kick butt for the small deployment that I am looking at but the larger one would be inefficient in comparison and with the limited shared bandwidth space of WiFi you really don't want it pissing away half of your bandwidth with unnessisarily overpowered signals and partitioned unteamed algoithyms for a collective problem. It is all about what you need from the system and that depends heavily on your environment.

Thank Post
    but I am looking at the 'Pro' Unfi APs for a really small school
    I know your a geek god but I really think the cheap ones are fine for anyone in a "small" school (100 pupils in mycase) (unless every child/teacher has 11n Ipads )

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I know your a geek god but I really think the cheap ones are fine for anyone in a "small" school (100 pupils in mycase) (unless every child/teacher has 11n Ipads )

Si
    Yes, now for limited connectivity (just web) and heavy limiting on the managment traffic like GPO software deploys, it will work alright but you need to be mindful even now of the ammount of traffic you are looking at pushing over it. The school I am thinking of using them in is around the 100-120 pupil mark, much smaller than I am used to dealing with. My issue is that they are in quite an affluent area and looking to hang practiclly everything off it along with student devices. I am not only looking at the now but at the 3-5 year mark where I don't want them screaming at me because the system if choking. I know that 802.11ac is comming out soon making n look like a 56k modem but for base level traffic having access to the much wider 5GHz band to support many more devies at once in the same area. They tend to hate rebuying stuff so it makes little sence starting behind the eight ball to begin with. 802.11AN is one of my rules that I generally don't break without a very good reason if only because i don't want to deal with the headache in a year and a halfs time, in the end its all about keeping my life as peaceful possible as its hard to be zen with your phone screaming every six minutes about the latest Apple iPoo not working with the wireless system that is only x years old etc, etc.

As with everything I give it a little overhead to cope with any unforseen stuff immediatly and the standard stuff in the fullness of time.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 17th August 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Well since your saying that everyone WILL have 3 wi-fi devices then fair enough to go Pro

I would like to work in a country where money flows easily and the IT priority is an easy life for the NM

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Well since your saying that everyone WILL have 3 wi-fi devices then fair enough to go Pro

I would like to work in a country where money flows easily and the IT priority is an easy life for the NM

Simon
    It's funny being on the other side for a change, this school is different to the others in that it is in an affulent rural area instead of one of the much poorer areas. It is because of this that their focus is quite different, I'd even call their wired infrastructure investment copletely lacking - marketing FTW . TBH we are probably looking at 20 devices per WAP absolute max but that is still higher than I would like. We/I would be pushing managment traffic like software deploys over it and with some of the - sprawling - open source stuff we use N is a must. 300MB over wireless is a killer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345