+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, UniFi Wireless in Technical; There is g/n or a/g/n you need to be certain of the capabilities of your clients. Clearly your Cisco Solution ...

Thank Post
    There is g/n or a/g/n you need to be certain of the capabilities of your clients.
    Clearly your Cisco Solution is able to operate on both 2.4 & 5Ghz bands, but how many clients actually use the 5Ghz band?

Unifi does not have any 5Ghz capable radios yet, its a 2.4 Ghz only solution (dual band operation is expected shortly).

As roaming by default is a client initiated function it's near impossible for a cell based system to make the roaming experience seamless, some try, some claim to be able to do it, single channel blanket systems CAN do it but the cost of covering an entire site with single channel architecture comes at a hefty price

In all fairness when we had the ZyXel Dual Band AP's we only ever saw a handful of Macs on the 5Ghz channels everything else tended to just default to 2.4Ghz

Since switching to Unifi the clients have no choice anyway. The management does a brilliant job of keeping everyone connected with the minimum of fuss.

As Unifi stays firmly focused on delivering the best possible performance at the lowest possible price it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of some systems but it delivers an outstanding solution for a tiny price.
    @ShorehamGeek has now deployed 23 AP's and has his site covered for less than 1600 (inc VAT) and there are dozens of others here on edugeek that have wised up and are doing the same.
    You could of course spend 20k on a fancy beam forming, spectrum zapping, seamless roaming, gigabit backhaul, dual banded, 3x3 MiMo, airwave swamping system in the hope that your clients will actually use all of the features on offer?

So if you want to save 18k on your next WiFi system give it a whirl because you have nothing to loose (apart from the 20k if you don't try it first!)

2. 2 Thanks to m25man:

earlyriser (14th February 2012), Oaktech (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    There is g/n or a/g/n you need to be certain of the capabilities of your clients.
    Clearly your Cisco Solution is able to operate on both 2.4 & 5Ghz bands, but how many clients actually use the 5Ghz band?

Unifi does not have any 5Ghz capable radios yet, its a 2.4 Ghz only solution (dual band operation is expected shortly).

As roaming by default is a client initiated function it's near impossible for a cell based system to make the roaming experience seamless, some try, some claim to be able to do it, single channel blanket systems CAN do it but the cost of covering an entire site with single channel architecture comes at a hefty price

In all fairness when we had the ZyXel Dual Band AP's we only ever saw a handful of Macs on the 5Ghz channels everything else tended to just default to 2.4Ghz

Since switching to Unifi the clients have no choice anyway. The management does a brilliant job of keeping everyone connected with the minimum of fuss.

As Unifi stays firmly focused on delivering the best possible performance at the lowest possible price it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of some systems but it delivers an outstanding solution for a tiny price.
    @ShorehamGeek has now deployed 23 AP's and has his site covered for less than 1600 (inc VAT) and there are dozens of others here on edugeek that have wised up and are doing the same.
    You could of course spend 20k on a fancy beam forming, spectrum zapping, seamless roaming, gigabit backhaul, dual banded, 3x3 MiMo, airwave swamping system in the hope that your clients will actually use all of the features on offer?

So if you want to save 18k on your next WiFi system give it a whirl because you have nothing to loose (apart from the 20k if you don't try it first!)
    I'm very pleased with the system. I've not yet stressed the system as a whole, but have tested a single access point with 16 devices streaming video simultaneously (all I had to hand at that point). Expanding the system is trivially easy. Given the price, I'd suggest buying a couple of APs and giving it a go (that's how I started).

Thank Post
    it is too inexpensive, i want to look for another.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    T
    Do you have any hints when the "Pro" devices will be released?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoerre View Post
    Do you have any hints when the "Pro" devices will be released?
    The last update from a reliable source is here, see the last post,
    Feature request (spec change) - Page 3 - Ubiquiti Networks Forum
    They normally ship limited demo stocks out within days of an announcement but it can take 6 weeks before stock arrives from the master distributors.
    Keep an eye on Streakwave Wireless Inc. Distribution of Wireless Broadband Equipment as they are the USA's biggest Unifi stockist they will have it long before the UK.

I would like to see them here before 11.ac stuff starts to start turning up on the shelves...

Thank Post
    Well thanks to the very kind @AChantler we've been testing out two units and are impressed so far. Few issues setting limits so devices pick quieter point but we had 42 MacBooks simultaneously log on and stream HD video today with no issues. Copying a 3Gb file over the network was slow at that point, but then it would be!

Still nervous to commit as we may well be moving to iPad 1:1, every supplier you speak to says *sharp intake of breath* "well you'll need Meru for that". A solution 10-15 times cheaper may seem too good to be true, but I'm beginning to think that in these times of shrinking budgets we'd be mad not to!

Thank Post
    Having read this thread with intrest I'm looking into a school wide wireless network for a primary school and can't quite believe what is being said about this kit. It looks and sounds great (1500 for Unifi or 7000 for other makes!!!!). Is there any of the suppliers on edugeek that can get this? if so could you pm me.

Thank Post
    Not used Unifi, but we use Ubnt NanoStations for Point to Point links with great success.

Rob

Thank Post
    we have had 6 in place very successfully for 5 months, we have another 12 on order with wifigear for delivery in the next few weeks. We are replacing a large number of unmanaged linksys wap54g and netgear prosafe wireless devices which have been inplace since about 2004. We have trialled the unifi in place of the netgear and they are perfectly capable of sustaining a class of 20 laptops, and we have pushed it to 40 with very little degradation in performance.

11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

m25man (21st June 2012)

Thank Post
    Would you say that in comparison to wap54g linksys those are performing better? Rep from local supplier is coming to talk to us about unifi and they offered free survey, so very interested seeing those prices.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcymer View Post
    Would you say that in comparison to wap54g linksys those are performing better? Rep from local supplier is coming to talk to us about unifi and they offered free survey, so very interested seeing those prices.
    Ubiquiti do one thing . "WiFi" .

As I said earlier we used Nanostation M5's for 5Ghz wireless p2p links and they are doing 30Mb over 2miles on a number of links so the kit is good.

I have not used the unifi, no real need at present but from everything I have seen on the forum and from chatting with a couple of Techis in other local schools the system seems to perform very well.

Rob

Thank Post
    We have some wap54g and they are not in the same league as unifi.

We struggle to get more than 15 laptops on the linksys, but the unifi will stand up to 40,

the wap54 are not managed so we cannot easilly restart APs or change global config which we can do with the unifi.

The only thing the wap does slightly better is raw range, but it is only a difference of a few metres clear line of sight, and we have the standard unifi, we could get the longer range ones if it was a problem to us.

The replacement cost of a wap54 (58) is also so close to the price of a unifi (68) that it is a complete no-brainer for us.

15. Thanks to Oaktech from:

m25man (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Got my 3 units today, anyone installed it on Linux box? kind find any downloads for linux, so maybe someone has it somewhere?

Thank Post
    Got my 3 units today, anyone installed it on Linux box? kind find any downloads for linux, so maybe someone has it somewhere?
    Guide on installing on Linux: UniFi - Release 2.2.5 - Ubiquiti Networks Forum

18. Thanks to Chris_ from:

Oaktech (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    I was so there, and then the page hung!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast