+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Major D-Link Switch Problems in Technical; Started off with one of exsisting 100meg switches (des-3550) starting to sound like it was dying so we bought a ...

Thank Post

Major D-Link Switch Problems

Started off with one of exsisting 100meg switches (des-3550) starting to sound like it was dying so we bought a replacment DGS-1248T Gigabit switch as to minimise downtime of ou suite. When we recived the new DGS-1248T it had unusually loud fans therefore we phoned D-Link for warrenty support and they shipped out replacments for both models.

This is where it starts to go wrong. We recived the DES-3550 fine however they shipped out a DGS-1224T by accident instead of the 48 port version. This was very annoying however D-Link said they would change this for next day. Did this and recived another incorrect version of the switch but this time it was an old hardware/firmware version (with no DHCP or facility to upgrade the firmware.) Spoke to their switch expert who told me they would have to ship out another version which I have just recived however the fans are just as noisy and just take a look at the picture to see why I am so frustrated by this situation.

They guarenteed that this was a brand new model however as you can tell, the picture says otherwise.
    Meanwhile our library computer suite is still offline whilst this situation is resolved.
    The manager also promised "some sort of compensation" which we are yet to recieve.

Alex

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Major D-Link Switch Problems

We have had a very similar situation here.

One of our 5 month old DGS-3024 switches had stupidly loud fans. This sounded like a bearing problem so we logged a request and they sent out a replacement - this was worse than the one we had. One fan didn't work and the other was louder than the 2 in the unit we had. So we had another replacement sent, which luckily was nice and quiet - but was missing some of its contents (the rack mounting brackets for example).

It is blatantly obvious that the units we were sent were either not new or refurbished units.

The other thing that annoyed me was that the people on the end of the phone don't seem to be able to transfer you to a different department, instead they ask you to hang up and dial again choosing a different number. For a tech company that is pretty bad.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk

One of our 5 month old DGS-3024 switches had stupidly loud fans. This sounded like a bearing problem so we logged a request and they sent out a replacement - this was worse than the one we had. One fan didn't work and the other was louder than the 2 in the unit we had. So we had another replacement sent, which luckily was nice and quiet - but was missing some of its contents (the rack mounting brackets for example).

It is blatantly obvious that the units we were sent were either not new or refurbished units.

The other thing that annoyed me was that the people on the end of the phone don't seem to be able to transfer you to a different department, instead they ask you to hang up and dial again choosing a different number. For a tech company that is pretty bad.
    So there is service is not upto par?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I would say not. I did manage to get them to collect the old units rather than paying to send them back ourselves, due to their mistakes.

I would also say that they must be using low quality fans in the units as this seems to be a recurring problem with their units.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton

So there is service is not upto par?
    Definatley not.

How did you get the noise problem solved in the end. And yes it is annoying having to phone up everytime hitting a differnt number.

The manager says "He has launched an investiongation into it".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The noise problem was solved by them sending us a working unit. It is still not as quiet as it should be but we don't have time to keep swapping switches and waiting for them to arrive.

I'm glad I only have 2 D-Link units left in the school now, the rest having been replaced by HP 2650's.

Thank Post

I would also say that they must be using low quality fans in the units as this seems to be a recurring problem with their units.
    Switches need decent cooling. that really suprising as golden rule with most electronics, is to keep it cool as possible. How much did you pay for them if you dont mind me asking?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd be tempted to rip out the fans in the switch(es) and put decent branded fans in. It's not a big deal if you can use a soldering iron. Some of the better switches use PC style power plugs too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yep, I know they need cooling - HP ones have some beefy fans in them but are quite quiet. The issue is that the fans are extremely bad. The noise is at similar levels to a rack server, but not a clean 'whir' but more of a moan.

We paid around £350 for them here IIRC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts

Don't seem get this with Cisco perhaps that is why you pay that little bit extra so that you get a little more quality build (who knows ) 42

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There is a difference between 'paying a little extra' and 'chopping off both arms and both legs and handing them over'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok, go the third way and buy a ProCurve then. I recommend a 2650 as a drop in replacement for your 48 port DLinks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That is what I have done, except for these 2 units. And they are being replaced this summer.

Thank Post

Well all i can say is nearly all of our switches are dlinks (almost 23) and we have had no probs except them being struck by lightening once, but i doubt the warranty covers that.

baz

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bazuk
    Well all i can say is nearly all of our switches are dlinks (almost 23) and we have had no probs except them being struck by lightening once, but i doubt the warranty covers that.

baz
    Nah, but your insurance does. We had a lightening strike a year or two ago on our field and it took out 3 important switches (fibre uplinks).

Our insurance company just told us to go ahead and replace the switches. We managed to get our backbone upgraded to gigabit and about 10 new gigabit 3com switches (to make the new fibre fully gigabit across the school). We were upfront with the insurance company and told them that although all of the switches we were replacing were not necessarily needed as part of the claim, it would help if they all talked at the same speed. They said "OK then - if you need it, do it".

'Bout time we had another thunderstorm

HBJB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast