+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Backups, QNAP and Backup Exec in Technical; Hi, Wasn't sure of the best forum to post this in, as its a backup and storage issue, but involves ...
    Thank Post

Backups, QNAP and Backup Exec

Hi,

Wasn't sure of the best forum to post this in, as its a backup and storage issue, but involves network shares and permissions, so here goes...

I have several shares on a QNAP NAS device which hold large amounts of data that I need to backup. We currently use BackupExec 12.5 as our D2D2T backup solution.

I have read all the info on achieving this, and at one point it was working well. However, we recently moved the backup server (Windows Storage Server 2k3 R2) from the old domain (being decommissioned) onto our shiny new domain. Now, even if I use the domain administrator, which has been setup with full read/write access to all the shares on the QNAP, the backup job fails. Testing the resource credentials in job setup returns the expected failure to connect to a remote backup agent, but then success for each of the shares specified.

When the job runs it fails and returns the following job log message:

"The job failed with the following error: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly."

It does. It is.

All other jobs to other servers are working fine - these are on WS2k3/8 boxes with remote agents. This is the only job trying to backup user defined selections.

Any suggestions or troublshooting tips gratefully recieved.

Thank Post
    Thought I'd post my own solution just in case anyone has a similar issue.

In my case once I changed the Backup Exec service logon account to the domain admin details it started working. The service logon account needs not only to have full read/write access to the target shares on the NAS, but also to be an administrator on the backup exec media server (for Windows Server, at least). Once the service logon account met all those criteria the backup job started running seemlessly once more.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread