+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Managed or unmanaged wireless in Technical; Morning all I've been asked to look into replacing/increasing the wireless access points around our sports department as the current ...
    Thank Post

Managed or unmanaged wireless

Morning all

I've been asked to look into replacing/increasing the wireless access points around our sports department as the current wireless is very poor and often doesn't work when PE teachers are trying to take registers ons SIMS. We currently have loads of standalone 3com access points around the site for wireless and they are less than ideal for the number of staff laptops that we now have.

It will only be a few access points (hall, gym, sports hall) and I don't think we'll be wanting to replace the whole school wireless, hopefully we'll be phasing out staff laptops over the next year in favour of fixed desktops in each of the classrooms.

So the question is, do we go down the route of managed wireless for 3 or 4 access points or just get standard access points like the HP V-M200?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say make a start with managed wireless, and then grow that system, replacing the other existing ones over time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    If you are only looking for a few access points and the cost of a traditional managed system would be high then you could look at the unify stuff from Ubiquiti.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd say make a start with managed wireless, and then grow that system, replacing the other existing ones over time.
    Yes, I agree. We had a manaed wireless system that worked great until the Switch fell over, got a bit messy after that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If you are only looking for a few access points and the cost of a traditional managed system would be high then you could look at the unify stuff from Ubiquiti.

Ben
    Ooo, this looks very interesting, might be the route to go down. Do you know any companies that will install cabling and supply these access points?

Thank Post
    @M25Man has most experience deploying these devices I think.

But any installer can fit your cabling then you can use the supplied poe adaptors with them to juice them up.

Ben

Thank Post
    Are they supplied with POE injectors that you put in line between the switch and the AP?

Thank Post
    I also have a lot of experience with these as does the company i work for - i wont name it because thats against forum rules but they are fab - you have to plan placement carefully though for best coverage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Ben
    That's interesting, haven't seen these before. The chance of us getting a managed switch are nil due to cost. The prices are reasonable too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Are they supplied with POE injectors that you put in line between the switch and the AP?
    Yes they are allthough I believe there is also an adaptor that you can purchase that will convert them into being usable with a standard POE switch and there is also supposed to be a pro version coming out that will have proper POE built in allthough that has been coming for a number of months now.

Ben

Thank Post
    UniFi - Availability - Ubiquiti Networks Forum

Availability of products is listed there there is an outdoor ap coming this month according to that and they are still working on the PRO AP which would include POE.

Not sure why that would take so long as surely it's just a mod to their exsiting ranges.

Ben

Thank Post
    I've got 4 unifi access points installed, and am about to order more. The ones I ordered (ask @m25man) came with the POE injectors in the box. So far so amazing! Just to test, I installed 1 access point, and started streaming media on 16 devices (a mix of windows laptops, mac book, ipad, ipod touchs, and android various) concurrently. Not the most scientific test, but there was a general feeling of rock solid performance. I would have tested more, but ran out of wireless devices to connect! The free controller software seems excellent so far. Definitely worth a look.

13. Thanks to ShorehamGeek from:

m25man (8th November 2011)

Thank Post
    You may want to consider Meru wireless as well. I saw a demo at at Durham Network Managers meeting and boy did it impress. They also do a trade-in type thing. Can't remember the details of it but the gist of it was that they'd take your old equipment and knock money off the stuff they sell you.

Thank Post
    There really is no point in going down the unmanaged route when Unifi is available.
    We have deployed hundreds of these units now with excellent results and outstanding performance and reliability.
    If the Unifi controller goes off line they will continue to work however you will loose guest services and other control functions just basic access.
    PM me if you want more information or a guided tour of the management system.

Thank Post
    @m25man

The unify solution seems fantastic, and was heading towards ordering a test one (guessing I'll never get a trial for such a cheap unit), but am deeply worried to discover they only have a 100mb ethernet port, which somewhat limits the potential of the N standard & their claims of throughput of 300mbps!

Have you experienced this causing a bottleneck in the schools you have installed this in? - I worry about future-proofing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast