+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Managed or unmanaged wireless in Technical; Originally Posted by Flora The unify solution seems fantastic, and was heading towards ordering a test one (guessing I'll never ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flora View Post

The unify solution seems fantastic, and was heading towards ordering a test one (guessing I'll never get a trial for such a cheap unit), but am deeply worried to discover they only have a 100mb ethernet port, which somewhat limits the potential of the N standard & their claims of throughput of 300mbps!

Have you experienced this causing a bottleneck in the schools you have installed this in? - I worry about future-proofing.
    We only have a couple of 54g standalone access points in key places and this did look intresting but I noticed the lack of a gigabit NIC as well.

When I looked at it I did find a post somewhere (on their forum) saying that using 100mb wont cause a bottle neck because of various reasons, they said something along the lines of:

100mb lan is full duplex i.e 100mb in both directions - wireless isnt

the overheads in the access point (encryption etc) mean you will never get 300mbps anyway

sorry i cant remember what else they said off the top of my head

I'm not convinced myself but 300mbs is the theortical limit and without an N class access point that has a gigabit NIC I dont know how much data I could pull before saturating it in real world tests.

There are a lot of different options available now using competing tech and its getting quite confusing comparing them. I like the look of the one that puts all the access points on a single channel and you just keep adding more as needed which gets around the problem of overlapping channels interfering with each other but then again the price of this system is so low we could probably get basic coverage for our main building for less than it would cost to buy a management unit for the other solutions.

2. Thanks to ToyHeartsFan from:

Flora (30th November 2011)

Thank Post
    We use Unifi everywhere now, there is simply nothing to compete with it when based on performance/price per user.

Apart from the schools we have deployed it in and the schools that are installing it themselves I run it for the Staff/Press/Media in the Football Club where I provide managed services.

On a normal Matchday I will have 300 or so users across 14 AP's the most I have had on one point was 67 users after I rebooted an adjacent point by mistake!
    No one even noticed.

How many laptops have you seen with 300MB MIMO as default? 20MHZ N only yields 65Mbps on all of the Laptops I have seen.
    Ubiquiti are re-writing the rule books as they go with this kit and the budgets.

If you really need seamless cross campus roaming for your wifi IP phones then you need a blanket like Extricom or Meru.
    If you need an auditorium of 200 delegates you might prefer Ruckus or Xirrus or any one of a hundred brand names.

If you need to deliver a quality wireless solution at a sensible price that won't make you cry every time you want to add another device you need to look at this product.
    What you can't afford to do is ignore trying it out!

4. Thanks to m25man from:

Flora (30th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thank you, your experience has made the decision much easier. I will order a few to tomorrow!

Thank Post
    I wont waste time repeating what has been said elsewhere, I would suggest some more study, IEEE 802.11n-2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and 802.11n Speed - How Can I Get an 802.11n Wi-Fi Speed Rating of 300 Mbps?

The great N debate goes on and if you care to take a look at a 2.4Ghz 40Mhz N AP with spectrum analyser such as ssider you will see what is meant.
    (I run my home Unifi N point at 40Mhz just to hack the neighbours off, I swamp the street with Max power hidden SSID at 40Mhz consuming Channels 1-7)

Apart from the fact that you are unlikely to have any clients that can actually connect above 65Mbps and the PHY layer only supports one MAC to MAC conversation anyway says it all.
    You will NEVER bottleneck out a 100Mb ethernet port using a single 2.4Ghz Radio, when you start to combine multiple radios and Dual Bands and utilise multiple spatial streams for which your devices would need 3 antennas at least then you can start getting worried, but when Unifi start building AP's with Dual radios and Dual Band capability they will have Gigabit ports.

For now, if you need more throughput in a restricted area you simply deploy more AP's.
    The controller will manage the power levels and channel control and effectively create Pico Cells. This requires some careful planning but in my media suite I have 3 x Unifi APs spaced over head and with a full house I can cope with 100 users without a problem, my bigger problem is I only have a 100Mb Internet connection!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m25man; 1st December 2011 at 12:51 AM.

7. Thanks to m25man from:

ToyHeartsFan (1st December 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12