+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight in Technical; Originally Posted by Wildebeaste As has been mentioned before, there's a very very long list of things that obviously need ...
    Thank Post

Re: Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeaste
    As has been mentioned before, there's a very very long list of things that obviously need to be banned because they haven't been tested and found to be absolutely safe; diesel, flight, crisps, aspirin, radio, television, toast, milk...
    To clarify - you're suggesting that WiFi is no more dangerous than diesel which has been found to contain (among other things) benzine, and aspirin which is no longer permitted for use by children under 12? Not sure I like your examples of "safe" household items there. Perhaps if WiFi is as dangerous as those, then we should sit up and take action...

Thank Post

You were hardly going to get a balenced report with the I'm EM sensitve people and the I hate phone masts brigade. Way too one sided if they had brought people on to defend WiFi and a decent balenced discussion could have been had the program may have been some use and sparked a healthy debate. But instead it was just headline grabbing scare mongering.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Excellent - good to see it didn't take the suppliers long to jump on this. In my Inbox this morning, time-stamped half an hour after the Panorama program finished, is an email beginning:

"There has been a lot of press recently with regards to the dangers and long term effects of being exposed to WiFi radiation (see attached document). To this end; we are offering to install CAT 5e cabling ......."

Marketing genius! :-)
    Hehehehehe. I should have guessed.

Like many people have said before though, I'd use anything as an excuse to get rid of wireless. I hate it. Causes me a lot of grief (fortunately all outside of work as we don't use wireless at school).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Should we compare wifi to smoking then? hundreds of nasty chemicals in cigarette smoke several no longer used in industry because of their toxicity yet the government still won't ban it completely.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I don't have the fact or figures that that programme had last night, but surely common sence needs to take presidence here?

I keep hearing the words "there is no evidence", or "research shows" blah blah blah. Apparently a 10 year study has shown no ill-effect from radio waves.

Well excuse me, but i'm fairly certain, 10 years ago there was no wireless technology in schools - even the internet was limited to a degree - and mobile phones were fairly big and bulky with a minor arial. 10 Years? give me a break - the technology hasn't existed for 10 years in the presidence it is now.
    Let me put it this way. I spent 13 years in the army, many of them heavily involved with radio comms as an NCO. Now, the army comms gear is many, many more times powerful than any wi-fi gear that gets used, and so far thousands od servicemen have totally failed to keel over with exploding skulls and eye sockets on fire. Personally I really disliked the way that the signal was referred to as 'radiation', and almost all of the laguage used was ambiguous and scare mongering. Lots of 'possibly', 'maybe', 'perhaps' were used. I did not hear one 'definitely'. A scare story, nothing more, however I think that a proper investigation would not go amiss though.
    This is the problem with most people's argument on here. You presume that because nobody has yet grown a second head that there can't be any dangers with Wi-Fi. Yes, the show was one-sided, but did you expect anything else? It was a show to alert us to the fact that this "amazing" technology that we have all taken to our hearts, and installed in our homes and buildings, might actually need further testing to make sure it isn't a danger to us.

Don't forget, children have far thinner skulls than adults, so the effects, if there are any will be greater on them.

If nothing else, the show probably did us all a favour. Those that don't currently have Wi-Fi networks might not be asked to install them now. Your job has possibly just been made easier.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    Should we compare wifi to smoking then? hundreds of nasty chemicals in cigarette smoke several no longer used in industry because of their toxicity yet the government still won't ban it completely.

Ben
    Let's not make that comparison just yet, Ben, as smoking has been proven to have health risks. WiFi has not (yet).

Thank Post

a signal reading wil be much higher inside, because the signal is bouncing around in basically a steel structure. I thaught the report was complete jibberish, and all they have done is confused the public.

and that woman with aluminium wallpaper.....move house. did yu notice how they never said how close the mast was to her house?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    a signal reading wil be much higher inside, because the signal is bouncing around in basically a steel structure. I thaught the report was complete jibberish, and all they have done is confused the public.

and that woman with aluminium wallpaper.....move house. did yu notice how they never said how close the mast was to her house?
    Again, people are now mocking this women. People never used to believe in M.E, until that was proven.

Do any of you have vested interests in Wi-Fi? Why so resolute in your defence of it?

Thank Post

Has anyone received any guidelines from their LEA yet on how to respond to parents questions?

We haven't just curious to know if anyone has

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skoggmeiger
    Do any of you have vested interests in Wi-Fi? Why so resolute in your defence of it?
    I could also ask why so many people have a vendetta against wifi?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I could also ask why so many people have a vendetta against wifi?
    You should never answer a question with a question.

Don't get me wrong, I use Wi-Fi at home, but I'll be bluntly honest and tell you that after a few hours infront of my laptop, I feel like sh*t!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton

Again, people are now mocking this women. People never used to believe in M.E, until that was proven.

Im not mocking...stating a point

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What do you mean? I've neevver *twitch* had any problems after *blink blink* using weefii

Thank Post

We are awaiting a response from out LEA as they were not aware of the program!
    We have prepared a statment for parents and we are going to speak to our LeA Health and Safety people about a risk assessment.

Anyone had any calls from concerned parents?

Thank Post

some guy said it affects our memory and health etc....

Is this down to poor diet

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast