+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight in Technical; Originally Posted by Vegas We've just had a parent try to blame our WiFi on her daughters ill health so ...

Thank Post

Re: Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas
    We've just had a parent try to blame our WiFi on her daughters ill health so we prepared a statement for her and any other parents asking questions. I better print a few off in preperation for tomorrow's expected fun and games.
    What does your statement say?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by cooper
    What does your statement say?

I think i may be needing one of these

Thanks

Cooepr
    Recent reports in the press have suggested that wireless technology in schools can be detrimental to students’ health, and we are aware that this may cause concern among parents. We are therefore issuing the following information about our use of wireless technology:

‘Your Name’ School uses wireless technology to give both network and Internet access to all areas of the campus, although in practical terms this is limited to the use of laptop computers by teachers and one set of laptops for student use in some lessons. All of our five ICT suites are ‘hard-wired’ with CAT5 cable, and our network ‘backbone’ comprises CAT5 and fibre optic cabling.

In an article in the Telegraph newspaper on Saturday 28 April the following quote appeared from a Department of Health spokesman:

“Wi-fi devices are of a very low power, much lower than mobile phones. The only firm precautionary advice issued by the Health Protection Agency is about children’s’ use of mobile phones.” (Wi-fi = Wireless-fidelity)

Statement from the Health Protection Agency:

“On the basis of current evidence, the HPA does not consider there to be a problem with the safety of WLAN.” (WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network)

Statement from the Department of Health regarding wireless technology:

“Typical maximum emitted power levels during transmissions from equipment often used in the home are up to a few tens of mW and therefore somewhat lower than the powers from a mobile phone. However, the separation of the transmitting antenna from the body is typically tens of centimetres rather than the one or 2 centimetres with a phone, and this considerably reduces exposures.”

In this technology driven world, radio signals surround us - in school and out - at railway stations, cafés, shops, at home and even walking down the street. We, naturally, are concerned about any threat to our students’ health and well-being and you can rest assured that we will take very seriously any advice given by the Government or LEA over the use of wireless technology in our school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

I think I would answer any parents question with some questions of my own:

1. Do you use a mobile phone ?
    2. Do you use a microwave oven ?
    3. When you go on holiday do you fly ? [ Solar Radiation ]
    4. Do you watch TV ?
    5. Do you have fluorescent lighting ?
    6. Do you have use a wireless router at home ?
    7. Do you read the Daily Mail ?
    8. Can you think for yourself ?

Thank Post

A School I worked for had mobile phone masts erected on part of the building. This was a state school and the LEA had obviously granted permission for the network operators to erect them which stinks to me, someone at the LEA must have copped a nice backhander somewhere along the line.

The School recently became a city academy and the mobile phone masts promptly disappeared. Perhaps the academy trust wanted a little more oiling than the LEA to let them stay!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This was a state school and the LEA had obviously granted permission for the network operators to erect them which stinks to me, someone at the LEA must have copped a nice backhander somewhere along the line.
    If the LEA owns the mast and is simply renting space on it to Moblie Phone Companies, it's probably making several hundred thousand pounds per annum.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    If the LEA owns the mast and is simply renting space on it to Moblie Phone Companies, it's probably making several hundred thousand pounds per annum.
    Money comes before kids and staff's health... sweet :?

Thank Post

Not sure of the exact setup, but I when I asked, I was told by some staff they thought they were owned and maintaied by the network provider because they had seen the company errect them.

I am sure you are right though, they probably made a fair few quid whislt frying the staff and students.

If I have worked at the School full time, I would have asked questions.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    A School I worked for had mobile phone masts erected on part of the building.
    I didn't think State Schools were allowed to sell their land to mobile masts?

My wife's school also had them on the roof (until BSF knocked it down and built them a nice new one) but they weren't active.

Thank Post

Thanks v much Vegas

Thank Post

First it was lead in pencils, then chalk dust, fumes from board pens, projector light and now wireless.

Some parents must think we are out to kill their little darlings. Do they want us to wrap them up in cotton wool their whole lives?? Get a grip, the world is a dangerous place, far more dangerous than the extreme unlikly chance of wifi doing anything.

NEWS FLASH Cotton wool might/could/possibly lead to a rash, schools must NOT use it to wrap children in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts

We haven't got WiFi at our school... but I can bet most of our parents have at home.

Personally I think the little darlings are more at risk from frying their brains with their phones or from a heart attack caused by lack of exercise (that CAN probably be blamed on computers; albeit the ones at home!)

Lin

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    A School I worked for had mobile phone masts erected on part of the building.
    I didn't think State Schools were allowed to sell their land to mobile masts?

My wife's school also had them on the roof (until BSF knocked it down and built them a nice new one) but they weren't active.
    We have one.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    Get in!..... staright after Eastenders
    You'd think that'd tell us something, wouldn't you?!

Thank heavens it's half term next week, though. Sure, they'll be moaning tomorrow, and perhaps the rest of the week, but by the time we're back there'll be something else to be paranoid about!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    NEWS FLASH Cotton wool might/could/possibly lead to a rash, schools must NOT use it to wrap children in.
    Not to mention the unacceptably high risk of suffocation

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

WARNING!!!!

Students might learn something if you teach them, this could mean they learn stuff and they go and get jobs. This could lead them to put themselves in harms way by doing work, resulting in wages, maybe even a mortgage and a stable relationship. It will only end in disaster!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast