+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight in Technical; Any idea's on the baisis of their arguement want to know for when the smart sods come and tell me ...

Thank Post

Re: Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight

Any idea's on the baisis of their arguement want to know for when the smart sods come and tell me i'm killing them lol

Thank Post

there not die'ing any quicker in my opinion muhahahaha

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

The basis of the argument is that there in no evidence of health effects, and that research should be done to prove/disprove that there are no health effects.

The only possible 'conspiracy' explanation that I can think of, is that microwaves could cause chemical reactions to occur in the body which would not happen without the microwaves. It's far fetched. A form of chemistry called microwave-assisted organic synthesis uses microwaves (on an epic scale, far in excess of WiFi) to create a localised dielectric heating effect to give high yields and reduced reaction times for certain reactions. IMO the worst you'd get from WiFi is a virtually unmeasurable increase in temperature.

Thank Post

I've said it before:- I'd rather sit 1m away from a WiFi node, than a kilometre from a 1MW TV transmitter!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is also some worry that the microwaves may 'change' the growth patterns of the neurological network of people in 'at risk' catagories including children, those on hormone therapy or those on drug based cancer therapy.

It is theoratically possible that it could have an effect but there is no evidence yet to substantiate the point.

THe same way that we know that there 'could' be an element with an atomic number of 3004, but proving it and the effects it would have on the universe would be difficult.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

It doesn't matter if they have no real hard technical evidence to support this claim as the people involved are scare mongers. They rely upon the media to exploit the loophole in the law to furnish the everyday person with what might seem a catastrophe in the making.

But it is the so called educated person who will pick up the ball and start running with it. They will then explain it to the not so educated person who will then exploit the "where there is blame there is a claim" syndrome. We as a nation have become so Americanised we can almost watch ourselves ten years into the future just by taking a look at America and they way it has gone.

Where has all the decent common sense thinking gone I ask? or is our government so taken by the American way of life that we are condemned to go their way.

Anyway to get back onto topic I say "ban all forms of IT" and lets live in the dark ages once more. :twisted:
    (My apologies for going off Topic)

Thank Post

See I don't like Wireless anyway so anything to stop it taking off I welcome.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The frequencies used on TV transmitters are a lot lower than the frequencies used in Wifi.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    See I don't like Wireless anyway so anything to stop it taking off I welcome.
    You dont like being able to take your laptop into the garden, bed or whereever in your house and being able to get on your home network/internet? Whats wrong with you man!!

Thank Post

I don't have a laptop...

Thank Post

I've been asked this by our ICT Coordinator this morning, but only so we have a response for partents. My reply was to quote the World Health Organisation, as our local paper did this morning. I havn't got the exact quote with me, but it's along the lines of:
    The WHO sees no adverse ettects from low level long term exposure.

Thank Post

There appear to be two main reason swhy they are targeting schools in this particular instance - one is that they are (generally) state controlled and therefore something could be done about it quickly and easily (plus there is the underlying fued that seems to be ongoing between the BBC and the Labour government). It is also much more dangerous making these kinds of claims against commercial companies because they have better means of fighting back (Jamie Oliver would not have got anywhere campaining against the quality of McDonalds food for example other than spending a lot of money on lawyers). We are all share holders in schools because we fund them - plus you can decide not to let your child go to other places with wi-fi, but not sending them to school is not really an option (although many parents seem to disagree with the need for this, but that is another argument)

Secondly part of the argument appears to be that the wi-fi is more likely to be damaging to children because their skulls are not fully developed and therefore are thinner and have less protection.

Now - before you all jump at me, these are not my arguments - I am not necessarily on any side of the fence on this!

I would, however, be more than happy to get rid of Wi-fi for good as it is bad for my health - or at least my hair as I keep tearing it out trying to get rid of the dead spots!

Thank Post

We've just had a parent try to blame our WiFi on her daughters ill health so we prepared a statement for her and any other parents asking questions. I better print a few off in preperation for tomorrow's expected fun and games.

Thank Post

I intend to watch the programme tonight, not so that I can come in to school tomorrow morning and feel justified in turning off the WiFi, but simply so that I can see the truth/lies/scare-mongering in the report and be better informed if/when people ask.

As it happens, we have very little WiFi in the school (the 8-inch thick concrete walls make it a challenge, you see!) and even where we do, our kit is only one of about four signals in that room (thanks to nearby houses with WiFi) so even if we did turn it off, it would make no real difference!

Perhaps I should also start panicking about the radio signals from our Bluetooth kits on the whiteboards?!

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, is it right to say "we knew about the possible risks but waited for proof before doing anything"? Once the WHO and the HPA have found WiFi to be safe, we'll be fine and justified in keeping it, but what if they do actually prove these claims? Would we have been negligent by leaving the equipment running when we knew it MIGHT be dangerous? Do we not have a duty of care to err on the side of caution (much like people do with mobile phones, the true dangers of which are yet to be definitively established).

I'm now going to duck for cover... :-)

Thank Post

What does your statement say?

I think i may be needing one of these

Thanks

Cooepr

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast