+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Wireless Networks Thread, Cat5e or 6 for gigabit copper network in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk Can anyone provide me with a reason I should switch to Cat6? Surely it's about future ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

Can anyone provide me with a reason I should switch to Cat6?
    Surely it's about future proofing. You don't want to rip-out cabling in 10 years time just because someone cut costs? But you're right, you shouldn't switch to Cat6...

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_7_cable]Category 7 cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Cat7a all the way - now were did I put those 100gigabit nics?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Surely it's about future proofing. You don't want to rip-out cabling in 10 years time just because someone cut costs? But you're right, you shouldn't switch to Cat6...

Category 7 cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cat7a all the way - now were did I put those 100gigabit nics?
    Yes its about futureproofing, but there's always a limit. Otherwise we'd be buying Dual quad core Xeon workstations with 64GB ram and RAID arrays of SSD drives... and schools would build spare rooms just in case...

The justification I am hearing for Cat6 is that it can support 10Gbit. Great, what uses can anyone see for 10Gbit in 10 years? Gigabit has been around for a quite some time now, and I'm still struggling to find a reason to deploy it to the desktop here. We have it to one area of the school and it makes absolutely no difference to the performance of the machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post
    There are other reasons to have 1Gb to the desktop for some schools. We package our applications using App-V and when an app is first launched you want to have it delivered ASAP to the desktop whether it's 40MB or 800MB.

And yes there are the video editing files which for us can occur from any PC, as well as other hidden traffic such as processing printing on the desktop which sometimes makes the file a lot larger.

One less frequent requirement of gigabit to the desktop is reimaging machines. It's not done often but it is nice to have when we do it.
    There are plenty of reasons to want and require 1Gb to the desktop today, but existing Cat5e infrastructure should suffice, no ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    There are plenty of reasons to want and require 1Gb to the desktop today, but existing Cat5e infrastructure should suffice, no ?
    Precisely. That's why I'm not convinced by Cat6.

Thank Post
    We're running 75 IT workstations on cat5e GIG ethernet. No issues. For our new installs we use cat6. Only because, well no real reason. Just because.

Thank Post
    Last few network installations I've seen come with 25 year guarantee. BECTA are really talking about new schools and lets face it, most of the networking will be embedded (forgot correct word) in the walls. Cat 7 is too expensive, Cat5e is pretty much standard now. You think in 25 years Cat 6 will be old, we'll prob be using wireless anyway.

I don't know the science behind it, but I'm told Cat6 is far better the Cat5e and I trust the guy with an electrical engineering degree and who's job it is to know these things. If your doing your own network installs (or doing repairs) I would still stick with Cat5e if the rest of the school is Cat5e, it makes support easier.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @neilfisher: I'd say that statement would be the same for all Cat cable 5e and 6. 7 is shielded so it wouldn't have the same issues however installing it isn't a breeze.

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234