+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Cat5e or 6 for gigabit copper network in Technical; You can run both together thats not a problem just the CAT6 cable is a little larger so more trunking ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Cat5e or 6 for gigabit copper network

You can run both together thats not a problem just the CAT6 cable is a little larger so more trunking is needed!

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1
    Thanks all for your thoughts.

Tony, I'll likely be implementing a local NAS: on the same switch as the workstations. They will be saving directly to a local HDD then uploading to the NAS. The current application is U-Lead video studio.

I'll price up both and see how much "future proofing" will cost.
    I would look at setting the upload to NAS as a nightly backup rather than getting students to do it at the end of a lesson. If you have a large project (around 4-6GB) for a group of 3 students, and have 5 groups ... it can be a nightmare to upload them all at once.

Do you already have the NAS device? Or something similar with the same disk speeds and speed of NIC? Try and connect a few different machines to the same switch and do test uploads and downloads to see what the performance hit it. Will the switch be gigabit on each port? Your original post sort of makes me presume it. If it is not them you are unlikely to see improved performance between Cat5 and Cat6.

Remember that sometimes the bottle-neck is not with the network but the workstations or storage device itself.

Good luck with it all.

Thank Post

Thanks Tony,

It's certainly something to think about: I'll get someone to do some upload tests when it's in to determine the best usage pattern. We don't have the NAS yet, just a Netgear SC101 as an interim measure, which periodically falls over (typical Netgear!).

Yes, I intend for the link between the clients and NAS to be fully gigabit.

Mike

Thank Post

although if you have short cable runs to the switch you might not need to replace it immediatly anyway. I have a cat5 room that has been tested and certified to cat 5e standard as they are all short runs (switch is in room) and they are well contained.

Thank Post
    Not long until Cat7... Cat6 is an aging tech!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendes View Post
    Not long until Cat7... Cat6 is an aging tech!
    Is Cat7 gonna be an inch thick with a max length of 12 inches? Seems that the higher the standard, the thicker it becomes and the more difficult to install...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have CAT6 running to the network points in the wall, but because of budget constraints am forced to use CAT5e as the network cable...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    To be honest I would stick with CAT5e. There's a huge difference in cost between CAT5e, CAT6 and CAT6a cables and secondly labour will be considerably more too as the cable is thicker and much more difficult to install.

CAT6 will support 10Gbps upto 55metres and CAT6a upto 100metres, so Becta's advise of CAT6 isn't that good really. Most networks adhere to the 100metres rule, so in practice CAT5 and CAT6 have little technical differences between them. CAT6a is what you're after for true future proofness (if there's such a word).

Personally however I think at the rate wireless is developing, speeds are fast approaching that of 10/100 ethernet, so it's only a matter of time before it reaches 1000Mbps equivalent speeds. I'd also bet it'll be a fraction of the cost of CAT6 too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Personally however I think at the rate wireless is developing, speeds are fast approaching that of 10/100 ethernet, so it's only a matter of time before it reaches 1000Mbps equivalent speeds. I'd also bet it'll be a fraction of the cost of CAT6 too
    Oh what a headache that would be to rely solely on wireless..

Thank Post
    I'm still waiting for WiFi PXE boot and multicasting before it could be useful for very much.

Thank Post
    I think imaging over wireless is a long, long way off. Would probably take days to image a few workstations

Wireless is generally a headache now as it's limited in bandwidth comparatively to wired, but as time goes on APs will get faster and will easily be more cost effective than running CAT6a everywhere.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Wireless is generally a headache now as it's limited in bandwidth comparatively to wired, but as time goes on APs will get faster and will easily be more cost effective than running CAT6a everywhere.
    But you will still have to run cat5/6/7 to the AP... not forgetting that that 54/108/future speeds wireless bandwidth is shared amongst the devices connected. Where as cables is dedicated from switch to host.

Thank Post
    But you will still have to run cat5/6/7 to the AP... not forgetting that that 54/108/future speeds wireless bandwidth is shared amongst the devices connected. Where as cables is dedicated from switch to host.
    You're right, but you're looking at one or two ports per room at most. CAT6 wouldn't be a problem at this quantity, especially bending around corners whilst keeping it looking tidy.

Thank Post
    As GrumbleDook mentions, check out the performance of the NAS. A lot of devices simply don't offer read/write speeds capable of taking advantage of gigabit networks. It may actually be cheaper to buy/build a fileserver that has the performance that you require.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    As GrumbleDook mentions, check out the performance of the NAS. A lot of devices simply don't offer read/write speeds capable of taking advantage of gigabit networks. It may actually be cheaper to buy/build a fileserver that has the performance that you require.
    i didn't really answer the question; if it's one room with a switch in the room or even next door - there will be little difference between 5e and 6. And i would got for 5e personally (asumming upto say 20m) With cat6/fiber uplinks back to the network. Get a gig switch and spend the money on improving the NAS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast