+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, New server can't be seen by wireless clients. in Technical; I've recently added a new server to one of my academy networks as a storage server and migrated all the ...

Thank Post

New server can't be seen by wireless clients.

I've recently added a new server to one of my academy networks as a storage server and migrated all the data to it from 2 older servers which we have decomissioned. The network has two CISCO 4500 series switches at its core and several V-LANS for various reasons. I put the new server on the same subnet and IP range as the other existing servers, and it is plugged into the same switch on the same ports as the old servers were. Problem is all my cabled workstations can see it just fine, but my wireless clients cannot see the new server. I've checked the network settings on the old servers to see if they had been assigned to V-LANS that way, but they were all set to V-LAN 0 as the new server is also.

The only thing I can think that might be stopping traffic is the DHCP server allocates IP numbers in a different range for wireless clients which I presume is routed by the CISCO switch gear as it's in a totally different subnet. The wireless clients could see the old servers just fine thou, but I can't even ping the new box from them.

Two things spring to mind.

1) a possible routing problem, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking as I'm not familiar with CISCO switchs and configuring them.

2) A setting somewhere on the server (which is running server 2008 Storage server) which is stopping traffic being accepted from a different subnet, again I can't figure out if this is the case or where I would check or look for this, although I do know server 2008 is much more fussy about where it accepts traffic from.

Can any one help?

Cheers,

Mike

Thank Post
    try giving the new server exactly the ip as one of the old de-commisioned servers IP and ping test again? , thats my 1st thought.

2nd thought would be to take a look at the cisco config and look for numbers like 0.0.0.3 in the routing table

3rd thought is , what is the default G/W address? look at the config on whatever device that is , is it a "core switch", sorry but without knowing your full setup its hard to diagnose

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    try giving the new server exactly the ip as one of the old de-commisioned servers IP and ping test again? , thats my 1st thought.

2nd thought would be to take a look at the cisco config and look for numbers like 0.0.0.3 in the routing table

3rd thought is , what is the default G/W address? look at the config on whatever device that is , is it a "core switch", sorry but without knowing your full setup its hard to diagnose
    We've tried that, it still didn't work.

2nd point, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that, what's the significance of numbers like 0.0.0.3? Routing, subnetting etc. is not really a strong area for me, we were hoping we'd be able to introduce a new server without having to change any of the routing.

There are diferent default gateways for each of the IP ranges which are run in the Academy. Essentially there are 4 ranges, 1 for servers, 1 for cabled workstations, 1 for wireless clients and 1 for IP phones. They each have a different default gateway which is not any of the switch IP numbers, so I'm guessing this is also virtulised within the V-LAN setup, but seems to work fine as they all have internet access and can all see the older server 2003 based boxes, it's just the new server 2008 box that's the issue.

I'm convinced it's to do with the wireless clients being in a different sunet, as the cabled ones don't have a problem; they are in the same subnet although in a different V-LAN and work fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do a tracert from each subnet and then post along with a description of each range. This may help pin down where the working ones go and where the non-working ones fail.

Thank Post
    is it poissible the old server had multiple assigned address's?

I would start by finding out what {box / switch / device} the default Gateway(s) point to!

This device will be doing all the routing and hold the key, just out of curioiusity you say
    they are in the same subnet although in a different V-LAN and work fine.
    can you try adding a wireless device on the same subnet , manual IP?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread