+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Toshiba laptop dropping wireless connection ONLY in school! in Technical; Hi, We have a weird problem. It seems that we have a couple of Toshiba laptops that keep dropping their ...
    Thank Post

Toshiba laptop dropping wireless connection ONLY in school!

Hi,

We have a weird problem. It seems that we have a couple of Toshiba laptops that keep dropping their wireless connection in our school. They work fine in the staff members homes with a constant connection but when they bring them in- they periodically drop in and out of connection all the time. Other wireless devices work fine...it's just the Toshiba's!

They are running Windows 7 64-bit and our wireless network has been installed by SIRRUS.

Any ideas???

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Latest drivers on the laptops and latest firmware on the Wireless APs and controller?

Some wireless chipsets are just a nightmare on certain APs, had no end of issues with Netgear + some Toshibas. This is why I still prefer wires, they work as most of the bugs have been rung out over the 25 or so years ethernet has been around.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

marsdenprimary (3rd November 2011)

Thank Post
    We've had issues in the past with Toshiba's and wireless, have you checked if your school wireless profile is the first one in the list of known networks? Making our school profile the first one in the list cured a lot of our problems

5. Thanks to themightymrp from:

marsdenprimary (3rd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Latest drivers on the laptops and latest firmware on the Wireless APs and controller?

Some wireless chipsets are just a nightmare on certain APs, had no end of issues with Netgear + some Toshibas. This is why I still prefer wires, they work as most of the bugs have been rung out over the 25 or so years ethernet has been around.
    Sounds like there's nothing else to it really... I haven't tried updating the drivers on the laptops and as far as the Firmware for the AP's goes I'm out of my depth with that. I may have to get in touch with XIRRUS (not SIRRUS as i mistakingly typed)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    We've had issues in the past with Toshiba's and wireless, have you checked if your school wireless profile is the first one in the list of known networks? Making our school profile the first one in the list cured a lot of our problems
    I'll have a check on that. Thanks x

Thank Post
    As said above latest drivers for the laptop. I would also suggest turning down the wireless cards roaming aggression so that is won't keep looking for a "better" ap than the one it is on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvLPhenom View Post
    As said above latest drivers for the laptop. I would also suggest turning down the wireless cards roaming aggression so that is won't keep looking for a "better" ap than the one it is on.
    Can i do this from within the Windows wireless manager? Never had to do this before so i'm not sure what i'm doing...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Can i do this from within the Windows wireless manager? Never had to do this before so i'm not sure what i'm doing...
    Its in the advanced tab of the wireless card driver properties usually.

Thank Post
    We are also having a similar problem - with a new batch of 120 Toshiba Tecra R840 laptops.

They usually connect fine, but report wildly varying signal strength, almost to the point where occasionally they will either drop off the network entirely or connect at the lowest possible speed so as to be practically unusable. We have tried everything so far: updated drivers, adjusting power management settings (Toshiba's suggestion), even alternative WAPs but nothing has resolved the issue.

I think it's time to start an second thread about this one...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread