+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Ok then... wireless networks in Technical; As is so often the case with these things, a little incident with a poorly wireless box has opened a ...

Thank Post

Ok then... wireless networks

As is so often the case with these things, a little incident with a poorly wireless box has opened a big can of 'why can't we...'

we can't (slt won't) afford to go out and just buy a fat ruckus or aruba or meru or whatever network, so we are looking at the ubiqiti unifi wireless... as we can slowly and surreptitiously take over the school with it a little bit, and a little budget at a time.

Is anyone else out there using it and are you using to it's full extent? What do you think about it?

Cheers

Oaktech

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @m25man I believe uses it at his work (not a school) and to my knowledge works very well...When I have been there I could pick up the wifi no issue wherever I was!

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

Oaktech (21st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Yep,

We run Ubiquiti both in our enterprise and educational clients. It's ridiculously cheap and incredibly reliable.

PM me and I will quite happily give you a guided tour of the system in real time. I have their 5.8Ghz Licenced Bridges in use at several locations and Im now just testing the 30db 40cm dishes as a point to point link between my house and my sons place that is 10 miles away LOS, he now has a full 180mb ethernet link into our LAN over it.

Unifi is not a cheap system, its a realistically priced system with probably less sophisticated features that some of the others out there but what we need in schools is a practical cost effective solution that does what it says on the tin with no fancy bells and whistles just decent management and simple provisioning.

My needs are simple I have to provide seamless access for around 20 mobile staff 5 days a week 20 students for 10 hours a week then up to 300 press and media for 6 hours twice a fortnight they all bring their own kit and it has to work 1st time without intervention.
    So far it has done this faultlessly.

However, as stated in my other posts Unifi has shortcomings.
    Yes it will support so it seems up to 100 users per AP (I have had around 67 users on one point) but even with 2 x MIMO N using a 40Mhz Channel Slot I only have a 100Mbps uplink to each AP so we have contention issues.
    Even if all of my clients had 40Mhz N cards in them, 300Mb Wifi into 100Mb backhaul doesnt fit.
    So if your expecting 30 wireless laptops to link to a single Unifi and download a 20 Mb profile in less than 30 seconds I suggest you go and look elsewhere as it just isnt going to happen!

The POE is Passive 24v they are NOT 802af compatible, but the 24v POE adapters are included in the price.
    If you want to power them from a POE switch you need the In-Line 48 -24v converters which are an additional cost but even with these your still looking at significantly less than any of the other comparable systems.

The killer is the software controller, this is where all of the money is saved. With no controller to purchase your saving a small fortune.
    You do however have to find it some hardware to run on and an OS license if you use Widows to do it. So if you use a decent dual core PC and server 2008 you could argue that it has set you back a grand for the controller.
    But I know you all better than that and like me you will run it on a VM with your favourite Linux distro for next to nothing because you can!

If you want to there is plenty of scope to run the contoller on the Amazon S3 Cloud and you have your self an amazing system that will undoubtedly make you a hero.

5. Thanks to m25man from:

Oaktech (21st October 2011)

Thank Post
    @m25man I am interested in the link between buildings, I have a site a mile or so a way I would like to link, can you send me some details please.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @edutech is also a good one for that

Thank Post
    i've got a ligo wave system running between our primary school and secondary school sites which is doing an outstanding job carrying the MIS info. When we sort the routing out at xmas it will carry mis and internet. dead easy to set up too, and one of the biggest suppliers of the gear 2 miles from school too!

Thank Post
    @m25man

Thanks for your input on this, I think i'm going to try and get some units to trial. We aren't that bothered by the contention, as most of the time a single ap will have a maximum of 16 users on it (as thats how many laptops are in a class trolley) and they need to authenticate, drag down a profile (which in most case is only about 8-12mb) then deal with office documents and internet.

The TP link that expired was failing to pass through a dhcp address to more than one client at a time - and that client was the wireless energy monitor in the substation, not a student laptop!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    @m25man I am interested in the link between buildings, I have a site a mile or so a way I would like to link, can you send me some details please.
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    @edutech is also a good one for that
    Yup, I don't use Ubiquiti so I am not able to comment on how good that is, but I have a Ruckus Managed solutuon in place for my Internal Wireless (Controller and 2 Access Points) 1 Access Point does the entire office space and then 2nd Access Point does pretty much the whole warehouse.

I have 2 ZF7731 for the External Site to Site Link which is in the country-side using a clear line of site at about 2 miles (I think) and I get a speed of around 170Mbps which does not decrease during bad weather! it has only been in a month now and it is perfect (as i expected).

@MarkPower and @Aggy are your people to speak to if you want to look into a Ruckus solution. :-) It's also very nice on the pocket and soon there will be an update to the Zone Director so you can managed to External and Internal AP's via the Controller. :-)

See Attched Image for Proof of Speed.

Capture.PNG[

James.

11. 2 Thanks to EduTech:

Aggy (21st October 2011), MarkPower (24th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Heres a link to my thread from last year, http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...fi-bridge.html,

If you are able to do the installations yourself (Working at height, H&S, Ladder training etc) the actual kit including all the bracketry comes to around 250 and they do what it says on the tin.

I did one a few weeks back which involved Masts, Stand Off's, Roof walking, Safety harnesses, Method statements and Risk assesments etc and it cost 1000

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread