+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Homeplug with wifi recommendations please in Technical; I'm looking for a Homeplug recommendation (This sort of thing D-Link DHP-W307AV/B 200 MBPS PowerLine Homeplug with Wireless N Access ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts

Homeplug with wifi recommendations please

I'm looking for a Homeplug recommendation (This sort of thing D-Link DHP-W307AV/B 200 MBPS PowerLine Homeplug with Wireless N Access Point Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories )for use at a friend's home. It needs wifi and needs to be a straightforward setup and reliable as the friend isn't technical and I really don't want to be on call 24/7 resetting the darn thing!

House is a quite modern build, so the mains circuitry shouldn't be a problem. However, it either needs to be pass-through or work on an extension lead at the router end due to the mains socket availability

Thank Post
    I've use a Devolo 1408 at home. Works with that and the hub end plugged into extension cords. Set-up was a doddle and it's worked flawlessly ever since. I find the 3 ethernet ports useful for the AV Amp and Media Box while the wireless helps extend coverage downstairs away from the main AP.

3. Thanks to pcstru from:

elsiegee40 (19th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Just bought a Devolo set for father-in-law, waiting to hear how they're getting on but the Amazon reviews were overwhelmingly positive. Comes with a three port switch on remote end, as well as N wifi.

5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    +1 for the Devolo, best ones I've tried and having the 3 ports in 1 plug is very useful. The wireless works well if nearby, don't expect it to cover the whole house as the aerials are in the plug, so not that powerful.

Thank Post
    I've got 200mb TP Link ones from Ebuyer - full speed in an old Victorian house using extension plugs from the bottom floor to the loft conversion.

Could not be happier with them!

8. Thanks to Butters from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    +1 for the Devolo, best ones I've tried and having the 3 ports in 1 plug is very useful. The wireless works well if nearby, don't expect it to cover the whole house as the aerials are in the plug, so not that powerful.
    The one with the wi fi aerials etc has 3 Ethernet ports so presume you could use a netgear or some AP with the 2nd Devolo plug socket thing

Not sure if there is a setting to disable the wireless side of it or would that defeat the object as Devolo do a seperate cheaper model with only ethernet ports ( minus wifi ) ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    The one with the wi fi aerials etc has 3 Ethernet ports so presume you could use a netgear or some AP with the 2nd Devolo plug socket thing

Not sure if there is a setting to disable the wireless side of it or would that defeat the object as Devolo do a seperate cheaper model with only ethernet ports ( minus wifi ) ??
    Trying to keep things simple here for the non-tech friend! I think the two bits will be enough!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post

The wireless N on the plug can be disabled. I use it as I don't get a good signal in my lounge from the router upstairs, so I run my PS3, Humax pvr off the plug and have the wireless N for aptops etc in the lounge.
    They do a 3 port without wireless, but it's not cheaper as it's in their 500Mbps range.
    dLAN Mains supply network via powerline ... devolo AG

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    What sort of range do you reckon the wifi has @teejay ? This will be plugged in midpoint on her landing, so would need to broadcast about 5 metres max through plasterboard walls. It should cope with that?

Thank Post
    I have the plug in my living room downstairs (pushed out of sight on the floor under the TV stand). The PC in the garage gets a good signal through a solid brick wall (~5m) and even devices upstairs get a usable signal (~10m) through wooden floorboards. 5m should not be a problem.

14. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    What sort of range do you reckon the wifi has @teejay ? This will be plugged in midpoint on her landing, so would need to broadcast about 5 metres max through plasterboard walls. It should cope with that?
    Should be fine, works no problem in the kitchen next door, which is well over 5m away. Our house between floors is somehow built like a Faraday cage, so we get poor wifi between floors, but that happens on a meaty dual aerial wifi access point as well.

16. Thanks to teejay from:

elsiegee40 (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Need to pass this email on:

Thank you so much for recommending that home plug wifi thing. I bought the devolo one and it's brilliant.
    Thanks all. I have one happy friend and even happier friend's sons!

18. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

teejay (28th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Yeah, the Devolos we bought have worked out fantastically - even bought some more so the whole house is now networked with them. Pricey, but this house has some serious quantity of networked AV equipment!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread