+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, WAP connectivity problems with new laptops :( in Technical; We have a HP ProCurve Wireless Access Point 420 on our 16 bay trolley. We used to have 13 toshiba ...
    Thank Post

WAP connectivity problems with new laptops :(

We have a HP ProCurve Wireless Access Point 420 on our 16 bay trolley.
    We used to have 13 toshiba laptops which worked off the AP for about 4 years.

We decided to upgrade them to Samsung NP400B laptops running windows 7.

We've had nothing but problems.....

If we boot all the laptops up around the same time usually around 3 or 4 will say:
    "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

It can take up to 7 minutes for the remaining ones to logon.

(with a wired connection the logon time is around 45 seconds max.)

In an attempt to solve the issue we:

1. Created a new windows 7 image from scratch for the laptops.
    2. Updated the wireless card drivers to the very latest from the Samsung website.
    3. Turned off all security features on the AP.

It's made very little if any noticeable difference...

Getting a bit stuck now...

Should I buy another brand of AP to try?

Is there any monitoring software I can use to try and workout what's going on?

Help appreciated...currently the trolley and all 16 laptops are in my office.....they can't be put back in to service I don't think until the whole lot can logon simultaneously in under say 3-4 minutes - that's not unreasonable is it?

Thank Post
    UPDATE:

We tested in batches of 8.

Started them and logged on simultaneously and managed to get them logged on in around 3 minutes....

Maybe this will be as good as it gets....

Thank Post
    I dont use wireless a great deal but I have an old 54G access point at home and found that a single laptop using wpa2 can max it out when downloading files and I only have a 10mb internet connection!

Saying that we do have a laptop trolley with 16 Toshibas using a relatively cheap 54G Netgear access point but it is one of those Rangemax ones which are supposed to have better range / speed than standard 54G and that seems to work ok.

54G is reaching end of life and any new kit should support N but before you throw your access point in the bin I would try changing the channel its using (we can pickup the wireless signal from several of the surrounding houses at the school I support). I would also double check that the driver on the laptops is set to only use 54G so they are not trying to connect using 11b.

A nice new managed wireless network would be great for us but the costs involved mean thats not going to happen any time soon. But I might add a few N rated access points in key places. One thing to remember if you do buy a nice new N rated access point to use with your new laptops is that ideally it needs to be connected to a gigabit network point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread