+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Sophos Enterprise Manager with standalone PCs in Technical; We have sophos enterprise manager installed across our domain network, however there are a few PCs scattered around the school ...

Thank Post

Sophos Enterprise Manager with standalone PCs

We have sophos enterprise manager installed across our domain network, however there are a few PCs scattered around the school that cannot be on the domain for various reasons. They are connected physically to the network for internet, but not on the domain.

Is there any way at all of getting sophos to install and update from the server on these standalone PCs?

I don't want to leave these PCs unprotected . I'm guessing the answer is no though.

Thank Post

Re: Sophos Enterprise Manager with standalone PCs

You can set them to connect and get updates via the internet i think. Similar to laptops updating while away from the school. but not 100% sure

Thank Post

The answer is yes. I have a couple of machines on our workshop network in that position.
    Run a a manual installation on each machine over the network from the same CID that you use for domain machines. At the start of the install, you will be asked for account details to access the CID for updating- use the same domain account that you have set up in your Enterprise Console policies. When the install process has finished, you should find the machine listed in the Unassigned folder in EC, and you can manage it in the same way as other workstations.
    You should be able to script the install as well, if you have a way to remotely run scripts on the machines. The script details are on the Sophos website under 'Deploying Sophos Anti-Virus through Active Directory group policy' .
    Hope this is helpful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

An alternative method is to use the standalone installer and expose your CID via a webserver. You could even put it on the internet and have computers that are offsite update from it if needed.

What OS on the PCs?

I have staff Laptops that are not on the Domain but connected to the network for Internet and I can manage them from Enterprise Manager

Thank Post

Win 2000 and XP. Thanks very much everyone, I just tried it and it worked. I didn't expect it to cos I tried the manual install before and it failed. Think I know why that happened now though and it's not related.

Thanks .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread