+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Access points need resetting in Technical; Hi there, In this problamatic school there are 3 D-Link 2100+AP's. They have different SSID's and are transmitting on channel ...

Thank Post

Access points need resetting

Hi there,

In this problamatic school there are 3 D-Link 2100+AP's. They have different SSID's and are transmitting on channel 1,3,6 (ah should be 1,6,11 will change that on Monday), they are solely used as Accees points but every so often they stop transmitting. Its as if they crash and the only way to get them operational is to power them off and back on again. You can't even browse to them once they crash they are completely dead but lights are on and blinking.

This can occur after 10 minutes or 6 hours, its completely random as far as I can tell and it happens to all AP's at different times.

Assuming it isn't the small gap between channels I'm stumped, I don't think its interference from outside as just down the road I set up a wireless network a month ago with no problems (yet).

Any help please would be a god send.

Thank Post

Re: Access points need resetting

Unfortunately some of these particular APs do this Im afraid out of 5 you usually get one awkward one but I dont see why they should all be doing it? Have you upgraded the firmware to the V2 as the firmware that comes with them is very buggy?
    I dont have any trouble with interference and my channels are very close together which I know is not reccomended but they arent causing any problems. Once I put them on a proper methos of authentication they will all be one the same channel anyway fro the WDS (thats what I read you have to do anyways).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used to use the 2100+ AP's too. They now sit in a box in my storeroom, for the very same reasons you have listed. They just are not very good.

Thank Post

I used to work at a place with 6 or 7 and one of them did this occasionally - although it wasn't as frequent as you describe.

Tty upgrading the firmware (make sure that you get the UK one!) and failing that speak to D-Link about getting them replaced. Incidentally, the upgraqded firmware added some extra features IIRC.

Thank Post

As the others said upgrade the firmware (uk version) and also make sure that the AP is plugged into a surge & spike protected power socket. For some reason Dlink kit seems to be fussy about it's power feeds in my experience.

Thank Post

Thanks for the info I didn't realize they were so troublesome! I have upgraded the firmware already. Luckily it wasn't me that put them in

Many thanks

Thank Post

Bit late but (was looking for something else)... Yes I also have had this problem with them for 6 months now. The one in my office crashes after about 5 minutes, but only when I connect my centrino laptop to it, if I put another wireless card in then it doesn't (d-link surprisingly). There are a few others that crash every few weeks.

Thank Post
    I had several of these and a few of them kept doing it frequently (every few hours). Disabling Spanning Tree Protocol on the switch ports they were connected to helped, but didn't solve the problem completely.

I've replaced them with expensive Cisco Aironet 1131AG's and this solved the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread